Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Feeling hopeless in wanting to transition

Started by 0r3V0iD, March 17, 2017, 08:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0r3V0iD

I've been feeling really depressed the last couple of days.  I've been trying to find a psychologist that would help me to begin my transition.  The problem is I live in West Virginia, USA and I feel the psychologists have little to no experience with transgender issues.  I don't know what to do.  Also I'm still very masculine and I get so down when I see really pretty trans ladies on Twitter.  I feel like I'll never measure up to them.  Been weight lifting and doing cardio for a month I know it's going to take awhile.  I just feel really crappy.  Also I feel so at war with myself because I'm attracted to other trans women and I'm a bottom.  Beauty and softness attracts me.  I feel like I'm pigeon holing myself.  Just got done talking to my mom where my dad still doesn't understand me.  I've dated women before and he was really hoping I'd get with this woman.  Sorry if anyone reads my rambling but I just needed to get this all out.  I feel really bad with where I'm at in my life sexual orientation and gender wise.  I've battled so hard and long to finally accept myself. I'm in my late 39s I'm just looking for encouraging words and maybe help dealing with trying to convince my Psychologist to take the next step in helping me and how to deal with my father.  I guess my dad still sees me as the American football playing, heavy metal loving, video game playing male youth I was. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.  I've been in tears for three days.
  •  

Dena

First we need to bump your spirits a little and the 4 links below should help with that. As for finding a therapist. As for a gender therapist, try googling "city gender therapist". If that doesn't turn up much, google "city LGBT" and look for a LGBT center as they often can put you in contact with medical help.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,106815.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,144104.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,168444.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,210798.0.html
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

JoanneB

I don't know where in WV you live; I was in Keyser, near Cumberland MD, aka Western MD. The nearest almost for real therapist that knew anything at about TG was some 90 miles away in Hagerstown MD. Even then... Some things I needed to "Educate" him on. Any "For Real" gender therapist was either in DC, Pittsburgh, or Philly. All 3 hrs away.

You can try the psychology today "doc find" and be very, as in VERY discriminating as to what they "Click" off in the list which includes "Gender Issues". Some seem to click off anything they vaguely recall from a class  :(
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

HappyMoni

Hi! What part of the state? Is there anything in a neighboring state?

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I could really bum myself out too if  I let myself look at the youngest or most beautiful trans women. They exist and have their problems too. I would suggest you discipline yourself to worry about your situation, to be the best you can be. Look at Susan's before and after picture or some of the other ones on the site. Amazing things are possible. You will defeat yourself if you give in to negativity. I do not discount your pain at all. it really hurts at times. You must focus on taking positive steps. Any LGBTQIA groups in the area that could help with info?
Be patient with family. Sometimes it takes time for people to understand or at least come around some. When faced with a child going through this, it takes time for the old image to fade and acceptance to start sinking in. You are not alone crying, and you don't need to stress about having certain sexual desires, find your own path, one that works for you. Being with someone else who is trans would seem to be a situation where you are with someone who truly understand what you deal with. Hang in there, it will get better.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

ChristineHaylett

If you want to begin transition then you need to take a leap of faith and do it for yourself and not put barriers in your way.

Finding a clinic to help assist your transition can be challenging and sufficiently expensive, but If you really are depressed your find away to make it happen. Personly I travel 80 miles to my gender clinic and that is only a one-way trip, without their help I would be depressed and more likely dead. Make a day trip off it and see someplace new with friends, it's a great excuse for a day out and friends can really help. You need to ask yourself how important is this to you ?.

Sadly we all compare our selfs to others that we see on social media sites, this is not a healthy behavior and is pretty much-causing depression across many countries for everyone including cis folk. Many women including trans-women use photoshop and only take post the good photos from angles that make you appear prettier. For instance, try changing the camera angle downwards at your face it will appear for round, lots of trans-women do this trick. Many of these women have had facial surgery but they would never tell you this and even plan deny it. Sadly some people have more money than others and some don't such as myself but you know we save up and the reward is greater. My tip avoid the social sites and get out there and meet people, I rather a cuppa at friend's house than sit behind a screen. it takes time to transition but you would get there in time.

Transitioning does have an effect on your sexual orientation, but try not to be close-minded to the idea, trans-women are women just they may just have the wrong genitals so if you identify as an women then you may be a lesbian. If you get an urge to have intercourse with a trans-women then give it a try it's rather enjoyable and your learn something about yourself. Hell when I started the thought of a penis was like eww yuk and now well it is more along the line of I really want to play with one, I even find a few men attractive now such as Gary Sinise,Michael Socha and Taylor Lautner , I even have pictured my wife as a male sometimes and she loves it.

Finally it is not your psychologist who gets to choice, its your life live it before it is too late.
You will only be truly happy when you learn to accept yourself.
  •  

vicki_sixx

Never feel bad for needing to talk or vent. You are among friends - some on here cannot see this when they're disagreed with and their opinion isn't accepted - but we are all friends nonetheless and in this together. I think everyone has felt the exact same way that you so we *do* understand what you're going through.

•