News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Fitness and Nutrition

Started by Nooms, May 12, 2017, 06:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nooms

Hello and merry meet

I just wanted to let you all know that although I am not in the industry (working) as a Personal Trainer and Nutritionist, I have a lot of experience in the fields both through education (study) and personal experience. I just wanted to offer any help and guidance where I can to those needing information reading training and nutrition when it comes to transitioning. I think there is a serious lack of knowledge and understanding when it comes to these topics in the transgender community. I want to help dispel a lot of the myths that surround strength training and cardio when it relates to MtF and FtM, so I am here too answer whatever questions you may have on these subjects and I am sure there are plenty of you here who could help and support us too.

Just to start this off I would like to answer a question I have been asked on a few occasions.

QuoteQ: When I am calculating my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) for weight loss and or training do I enter male or female as my sex?

A: The answer to this is quite complicated because as a rule there is not much difference between the two. So it all boils down to "what stage are you at in your personal journey". Basically our weight, growth and energy are all controlled by our hormones on basic level. So if you are pre hormone treatment it is advisable to use the gender you were born in to calculate your BMR but if you have started hormones then I would enter the information as your gender you identify with.

Please feel free to ask me for more information because things are not always as clear when trying to explain it on paper :D

Oh and of course, the best source of information is the information you gather for yourselves. If in doubt ALWAYS ask a doctor when it comes to your personal health xxx

Love and respect
Nooms
Never without my camera...Our ability to capture a moment and freeze it forever in creative imagery is something that touches my very soul!
  •  

Deborah

I have been having a lot of success eating a keto type diet while increasing my running back to generally high mileage levels. 

It is not adding fat anywhere but it is shrinking my waist to a more appropriate proportion to my hips.  Before, I tried growing my hips but my belly grew at the same time, not good.  Feeling good and good health is an added benefit.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Nooms

Quote from: Deborah on May 12, 2017, 08:29:04 AM
I have been having a lot of success eating a keto type diet while increasing my running back to generally high mileage levels. 

It is not adding fat anywhere but it is shrinking my waist to a more appropriate proportion to my hips.  Before, I tried growing my hips but my belly grew at the same time, not good.  Feeling good and good health is an added benefit.

A Keto Diet is very good idea but just watch out that you are eating the right fats :D I have seen so many people think that cakes is classed as a good fat hehe. Also you can eat good carbs and in a way if you are doing any kind of resistance training then it definatley a good idea. I would focus on your Macros, its a very good balance and a lot healthier in the long run. A good combo is:

Carbs 50%
Fat 30%
Protein 20%

This is for a strong and lean effect not for building muscle :D

xxx
Nooms
Never without my camera...Our ability to capture a moment and freeze it forever in creative imagery is something that touches my very soul!
  •  

Deborah

Right now my macro goal each day is around 70% fat, 10% carb, and 20% protein at 2400 to 2500 cal. 

It took a while for my body to adapt to it, especially with running, but I'm feeling great these days with energy to run every morning and a good ab workout in the evening.  I'm still losing weight too and the abdominal fat is getting scarce, less than at any other time in my life.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

JillianC

Deborah, What kind of fats are you eating?   What's a typical lunch for you?  I'm just curious as I'm not sure what that meals would fit that macro mix.
  •  

Deborah

This is my typical weekday.

Before running I drink two tablespoons of whipped butter in a cup of coffee.  After I come back I eat breakfast:
1 can sardines
10 black olives
3 pastured eggs scrambled in a tablespoon of butter
Around 55 to 70 g of cheese
About 800 cal

During the day I don't eat.

For supper:
A giant salad with lettuce, spinach, sweet peppers, an avocado, tomato, onion, two boiled eggs,and about 1/4 cup of cheese with four to six tbsp of dressing.  Around 700 cal.

Then I have some meat in a reasonable portion and often another vegetable.

After supper I'll have some almonds and Brazil nuts and often some more cheese and pork rinds.

Calories in the evening are usually around 1600.

Typically I'll eat around 120 to 140 g of protein, 50 to 70 g of carbs, and up to around 190 g of fat from mostly eggs, cheese, fish, meat, avocado, nuts, butter, and sometimes coconut oil.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

JillianC

•  

Nooms

The diet looks ok Deborah, my only concern is the amount of saturated fats you are taking in the morning. 4 tablespoons of butter sounds excessive even for a ketogenic. Sat fats wont break down so well in the long term and can cause hidden issues. Arterial build up is a risk even with an active lifestyle x

How far do you run and at what intensity?
  •  

RavenMoon

Not a bad diet. Butter and fats in general are not bad for you.  Same with salt. Those old studies were shown to be very flawed.

I'm a vegetarian. I eat about 1,540 calories a day. Besides walking (I live in NYC and don't have a car) I don't do any exercise.

My usual daily diet is; oatmeal or farina in the morning. Lately a bean and cheese burrito for lunch. Maybe with some chips. For dinner it's usually brown rice, some mixed greens or veggies, maybe some sliced potatoes, and either a black bean burger or some Tofurkey tandoori (fake) chicken or something similar. Just because I like it. Then I might have a few cookies for dessert. I drink a glass of wine or a beer once a day.

I'll be 60 in November. I'm almost back to my weight when I was in high school. I'm only 5'5" and weigh about 140lbs. But I haven't weighed myself in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Nooms on May 12, 2017, 04:46:34 PM
The diet looks ok Deborah, my only concern is the amount of saturated fats you are taking in the morning. 4 tablespoons of butter sounds excessive even for a ketogenic. Sat fats wont break down so well in the long term and can cause hidden issues. Arterial build up is a risk even with an active lifestyle x

How far do you run and at what intensity?
My plan is to keep this up until my next blood test in Aug and then re-evaluate as needed.  I've been eating this way now for 11 weeks.

I'm still rebuilding my running fitness so my intensity is all base building and recovery.  So most runs are between HR 120 to 130 BPM, 70 to 77% max.  Occasionally if it's hot I'll let it climb a little higher.  On my recovery days or when I'm tired (often on Thursday and on the second run in the afternoon) I'll drop it below 120 BPM to less than 70% max. 

Right now my schedule is six miles each morning on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, four easier miles on Tuesday, one mile on Friday just to say I ran (and it makes my legs feel better), and a longer run on Saturday, right now around nine miles.  I also do a second short two mile run on Monday and Wed evening.

As my easy pace increases, assuming that it does, LOL, I'll extend my daily six miles to seven.  I'm also gradually extending my Saturday run to two hours.

As long as I keep the intensity in check my recovery seems adequate and my pace is steadily, if slowly, getting faster at a constant effort.  It's hovering right around 10 min/mi right now at that 70 to 77% max HR intensity on a pretty hilly route.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Nooms

WoW just wow. I wasn't expecting that kind of cardio commitment lol. Disregard my previous comment, I think what you are doing is great and keep it up lovely lady x
  •  

Deborah

Back in the old days running was my main dysphoria coping mechanism.  Somewhere along the way I found I actually enjoyed doing it.  So now I'm trying to reincorporate it somewhat sanely along with everything else.  HRT seems to make improvements come more slowly but they still come and I still enjoy the feeling.

U.S. Army Retired
  •