Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A Prayer for Orlando

Started by LindseyP, June 12, 2017, 12:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindseyP

This has been on my mind today.  I had run into the story of the one gay man whose Father would not reclaim his body. He hated the fact that his son was gay. It is only one life, but in its own way, is just as large a tragedy. Today I say a special prayer for that gentleman, so his loss is mourned by at least one person. In my mind, I say a prayer for me that whatever the subject, that I am never that way with my own children.

I found this prayer to be an appropriate tribute and reflection on this day.
=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Today, in remembering the 49 people killed and 53 people wounded, perhaps it is best we just sit together in community, like Job's friends, silent before inexplicable suffering and offering prayers of lamentation. I offer this prayer today:

God who is ever with us,

We are hurting today, hurting deeply. Afraid and in mourning, we come to you in prayer because words fail us and justice seems distant. We place ourselves in your embrace, and we trust you because you never abandon those whom you love.

You are God, the Creator. In radiant diversity, you made each one of us like you. Each person is created to be exactly who you made them to be, made so we can share in your divine life by reflecting the glorious array of sexual and gender identities which shine forth from you. May we cherish human dignity, especially the dignity of those who are marginalized and of those people who have caused grave harm.

You are God, the Christ. In Jesus, you dwelt among us. And you were present at Pulse as raw violence shattered lives, just as you have been present when so many LGBT people are crucified because they lived and loved openly. It is only the center of your Cross, in your Sacred Heart, which can hold the world's suffering when we feel weak before it. Be with us now.

You are God, the Consoler. Pour forth your grace which is our sustenance. Plant within us holy anger at the injustices which compound LGBT people's suffering: racism, migration justice, ableism, Islamophobia, sexism, economic inequality, and more. Help us cultivate this holy anger with prudence and perseverance such that, through reconciliation, we may help bring about the fruits of justice.

You are God. We are only able to spread love because we know your profound love for us, and even as we hurt, we desire for others to know your presence. God, be with us anew today.

Amen."

https://newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/12/praying-for-orlando-one-year-later/

New Way Ministry/Robert Shine  06/12/2017
  •  

V M

I am not God, but if one should fall I will pick you up and carry you to safety to the best of my ability

That is who I am and that is what I do
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Michelle_P

Thank you, Lindsey.  This has been much on my mind the past few days.

I attended a memorial service yesterday for the Pulse victims, held jointly by a local support organization, the last LGBT nightclub in the area, and a pair of accepting churches.  I didn't speak at the event (although I was ready, just in case), but was part of the ceremony, where as each name was read, I dropped a small polished stone into a large glass water column.  (This is a ritual of remembrance and release that we have within my church.)

I was crying by the end of the ceremony.  It got a little intense for me.

I shared this little speech with my friends:
Thank you to everyone who came to stand with us today, in body or spirit. I do not mean "stand" in an ableist manner, but in the sense of taking a moral or ethical position.

We stand together in memory of the dead, those who were murdered for the act of being themselves, of living their lives.

We stand together, in opposition to those who build their lives around hatred, fear, or loathing of anyone different from themselves.

We stand together, opposed to those who would pervert religions centered on love and kindness for all into ideologies of hatred and loathing for anyone seen as different.

We stand together, opposed to those who venally promote fear, hatred, and repression for political and financial gain.

We stand together, sharing our strengths, raising up our fallen, bringing light into the darkness.

We stand together.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

LindseyP

Thanks for sharing.  That must have been intense to be physically there.  I was volunteering to help with a local church dealing with 8 wakes and 8 funerals in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, and I know what that can feel like to be in the middle of it. 

I remember from a vigil I attended at UConn last year - this one girl shared a piece she had written.  To hear her speak it with her own voice was so incredibly moving.  It helps to know that her girlfriend she speaks of in the piece had eventually committed suicide. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

After Orlando, 1,439 Years Of Life Still Echo
(We can never let them go silent.)

by Leah Juliett

When I was seventeen I held my girlfriends hand the way my grandmother holds her rosary beads- so close. Moments later, three men walked by screaming "faggots" so loud you could hear my shame echo off the hot summer tar. She punched six holes in the wall that night.

I stayed soft, numb. Quick retraction like a child who puts his hand on a stove or gets his mouth washed with soap. My mouth has tasted bitter ever since.

I think heaven is coming down in Orlando. It falls like sweet southern rain and sits on my skin. Candles shed light on dark crime scenes. Everything is quiet. Forty-nine people have died. Some of them look just like me. Each of them love just like me.

After my back became a cutting board for homophobia, my girlfriend's hand turned sharper. My breath laid still in my chest- a graveyard of what I couldn't say. I closed my lips like a bible.

Held her hand tighter

Walked a bit closer

Watched a bit harder

Loved a bit softer-

so as not to be too heavy for the world's broken knees.

When shots rained down on Sunday in Orlando, I felt my her hand again- this time around my neck, squeezing the words out.

My mouth became a dulled kitchen knife, afraid of chewing words that would condemn me. Afraid of holding hands that would condemn me. Not knowing that just living could condemn me.

Fear lives in the soles of my shoes. I walk off of high places, wishing to feel the crush of my bones. Wanting to see if I could still hold my heavy shame on top of a broken body- if the world could hold it's heavy shame on top of a broken body.

I used to think words were a loaded gun until i realized I might actually face one.

The safety on the trigger has replaced actual safety. Warm bed and unpacked suitcase, safety. Don't have to worry about being shot, safety. I worry my sexuality is sewn into my skin.

If you add the ages of each innocent person killed at the Pulse Night Club, you get 1,439 years. 1,439 years shot down with discrimination and fear-cased bullets.

1,439 years of words, of words, of words.

The tongue is the strongest muscle in the body. Built to break brick like bombs cannot. Cut skin like guns cannot. Words can't be extinguished when the flame goes out- the oven in my throat still burns.

There are 1,439 years living under my tongue. My voice shakes, not from fear, but from gravity. The gravity of bullet wounds caused by words that couldn't heal quickly enough. I couldn't heal quickly enough.

My girlfriend told me to keep walking and not look fear in the eye. I think I have to look at it to know it was really there.

1,439 years of life were really there. They are still speaking to me.

They will never be silenced.

They live in the mouths of everyone who has ever kept quiet, ever made themselves soft, ever feared that their love was too heavy.

We all know how to hide behind who we are not. We hide each time we choose to be silent in the face of something so loud. Hate is something so loud.

We all know how to die and come back to life, we will always come back to life.

One day we will swell and not break. Bend and not buckle. One day the world will hold us up without making us feel small. One day we will sing songs with hope as the chorus.

1,439 years of life still echo the walls of my mouth, begging me to speak. When I scream they enter the world again. I will never stop screaming. We will never stop screaming.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/speaking-orlando
  •