Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Getting sober and transitioning ftm at the SAAAMMMEEE time :-/

Started by Rythm, June 22, 2017, 07:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rythm

I started the process of conciously coming out about a year and a half ago and I am three months on T. The biggest strain and stress on me is I am also in recovery for alchohol and substance abuse and while AA has been an immense source of support and strength for me and has given me a lot of the tools I need to move forward courageously in my transition there is a lot of misgendering and trans confusion in the rooms. I am in a small and backwards town, AA likes to teach humility to its members and sometimes I get the suggestion of "terminal uniqueness" and I am told that insisting on correct gender pronouns or insisting on having a masc identified sponsor or insisting on going to men's meetings instead of women's is based in ego. I sometimes don't know how to cope with that. I need a place where I can talk about my transition with other trans people the same way that I need a place that I can talk about my addiction with other addicts and so I am here. I'd love to hear from other trans people in recovery as well. I already feel the burden lifting in sharing this issue. I want to know how to effectively handle these situations and plant the seeds for more trans acceptance in aa rooms because I think its important. Would love to hear from some folks just so I don't feel so damn isolated. Is anyone else in recovery here? Is anyone maybe interested in starting an online or phone recovery group specifically for trans people?
  •  

Devlyn

I haven't had a drink since 1986. Not an AA participant, but I have nothing bad to say about their track record. They work wonders for lots of people.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. I have never used alcohol or drugs but I am willing to make suggestions. There are others on the site who have had addiction issues so I suspect that they may be checking in sooner or latter. If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •