Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Trans-Care (Medical) in the Greater Los Angeles Area

Started by isabelle67, September 28, 2017, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelle67

hi,

forgive me for not searching the forum for previous posts that might have addressed my issue. i'm feeling pretty frustrated right now.

i live in the greater LA area. i've been down here for several years. i transitioned in the bay area in the early 00's, and i had no problems finding medical providers and resources up there. southern california is a whole other story. for the life of me, i can't find more than three or four providers who will treat trans patients, both as a provider of trans-specific services like HRT and as a General Practioner to boot. i've been bouncing around for five years from one clinic to another and not feeling very happy with any of the three clinics i'm aware of.

i could go on and on about my frustrations, but i won't. i don't want to bore anyone. i just want to ask ...

• is anyone aware of any good medical providers in the Los Angeles area who are happy to work with post-op transwomen?
  • is there a list here, on Susan's, that details resources like medical providers by geographic area?

thanks in advance,

isabelle
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. Normally you would find the information you are requesting under the Links button at the top of the page but I checked and it's a bit bare at the moment. There was a cleanup of the Links to remove the dead wood and it's in the process of being rebuilt. The forum is a bit complicated for a newcomer and while I know it reasonable well, that's the result of moving posts around the site for about two years. You might want to start in the HRT forum has we have several members who recently posted about their experiences with doctors in the Orange County/LA area. I was from that area but my knowledge is about 10 years out of date though the doctor is still practicing.

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Karen_A

I'm 19 years post-op and I had FFS with Dr. O in 1999. I know there were a lot TS in teh bay area back then as I had a fair number I knew from on line come visit while I was at Davies. I figured there would be lot in the LA area too

So my first reaction to your post was to think there had to be more resources in LA... but then I thought of my situation in the boston area...

There is one major center here that has just about taken over all most of the t* care  in the area (they see a LOT of T*s!!!) , but for various reasons I prefer not to go there... There is a major suburban medical center that says the do T*s, but the only MD they had with any real TS experience left... and I could tell the ones there now had never dealt with a long term post-op...

Other that that it hard to find information on where else to go ... I have not had any connection to the local 3D community for a long time now so I can't get information that way.

- Karen
  •  

isabelle67

yes, i had assumed there would be resources in LA as well; i was really surprised to find that LA just didn't seem to have very many medical practitioners with any specialized experience, considering the size of the city and its reputation as a progressive sort of place.

boston sounds similar in the sense that there are now two or three centers here (Hollywood GL Center is the first that comes to mind) with trans-specific programs; these act as magnets for people seeking care because there are so few other options, but i really don't like going to them because they're very focused on Transition and don't seem to have much energy or skill for people who are no longer at that phase.

maybe i'd have more luck with a regular endocrinologist for hrt.

Quote from: Karen_A on September 28, 2017, 10:25:31 PM
I'm 19 years post-op and I had FFS with Dr. O in 1999. I know there were a lot TS in teh bay area back then as I had a fair number I knew from on line come visit while I was at Davies. I figured there would be lot in the LA area too

So my first reaction to your post was to think there had to be more resources in LA... but then I thought of my situation in the boston area...

There is one major center here that has just about taken over all most of the t* care  in the area (they see a LOT of T*s!!!) , but for various reasons I prefer not to go there... There is a major suburban medical center that says the do T*s, but the only MD they had with any real TS experience left... and I could tell the ones there now had never dealt with a long term post-op...

Other that that it hard to find information on where else to go ... I have not had any connection to the local 3D community for a long time now so I can't get information that way.

- Karen
  •  

isabelle67

ok, thank you, and noted. i'll have a look at the hrt forums.

Quote from: Dena on September 28, 2017, 07:45:46 PM
Welcome to Susan's Place. Normally you would find the information you are requesting under the Links button at the top of the page but I checked and it's a bit bare at the moment. There was a cleanup of the Links to remove the dead wood and it's in the process of being rebuilt. The forum is a bit complicated for a newcomer and while I know it reasonable well, that's the result of moving posts around the site for about two years. You might want to start in the HRT forum has we have several members who recently posted about their experiences with doctors in the Orange County/LA area. I was from that area but my knowledge is about 10 years out of date though the doctor is still practicing.

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

•