Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Please Help, Discrimination or Not at New Job

Started by Kailey_Lysette, November 11, 2017, 10:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenntrans

Quote from: Kailey_Lysette on November 11, 2017, 10:12:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

I need advice ASAP, I just got hired at Victoria Secret and am not allowed to present as my desired gender. I am new to transitioning but I live Full Time as a female, I am hoping to start HRT when I save a couple of dollars to get the lab work done and pay for the prescription. I spoke with the store manager and was told I have to present as Male since my DL and SSN have not changed due to the requirements in Texas.

I don't want to leave the job but I don't think I can be happy working there if I am forced to present as the gender I don't Identify as. (The Manager said I could present as a female once my DL and SSN are changed) I need the job to get started with HRT, anyone have any advice on what I should do. Should I stop my transition and deal with the emotional rollercoaster or should I look elsewhere for employment

Look elsewhere. I shop at VS at the mall and I can pass OK but I would not want a man selling me panties, bras or lingerie. I mean seriously, the only man that I want knowing what color or style of panties and bra I am wearing is my boyfriend. To me it is kind of weird that Victoria's Secret hired a man to sell their products. I don't want to sound sexist but I don't want to buy panties, bras or lingerie from a man that I may wear everyday. :embarrassed:

With that said I have bought some really sexy, turn on lingerie in a sex shop. :embarrassed: But that is different. I don't wear that everyday but just when my boyfriend and me get a little wild. :embarrassed:

But I would feel kind of weird asking a guy in VS about panties and bras. Then he would know and... he may be cute but I would always be self conscious especially if I met him in a club or bar. Would he be buy8ing me a drink because he liked me or my panties?
  •  

BC

I'm glad you were able to find another job that actually respected your gender identity.  Honestly a company that doesn't respect a person's gender identity, even if it is different that what is stated on their ID, is setting themselves up for trouble... for those of us in states that have yet to legally protect transgender people from discrimination, the EEOC still views gender identity discrimination as sex discrimination, even almost one year into the Trump era.

(FYI I'm not a lawyer)

My personal stance is that it is not the government's job to try and regulate people's gender identity or gender expression, and that anyone who justifies the use of a gender marker on government documentation to try and dictate a person's gender expression (including employers/managers) is giving the government permission to interfere in people's lives in ways that could be very dangerous.  Although many conservative people may be unlikely to agree with transgender rights, they are often skeptical of the government especially if they have libertarian tendencies... though I doubt it would be convincing in all situations such as yours, this would be the argument I would use to try and advocate for the ability to express myself according to my gender identity if I were ever faced with your situation.
  •  

Jenntrans

You know what? In relation to the original post and my reply, there are many trans women that would feel way more comfortable if they hired trans women and let them work openly at Victoria's Secret. OMG it is so easy to buy stuff on line but to upsell then it takes another person face to face.

OK How many guys go to VS to buy things for their "girlfriends" or "wives"? Probably a few but not as many that may if they felt more comfortable and that goes for trans women and cross dressers alike. I mean it is sales and if cis women don't like it then all they have to do is request another sales person. I mean show like HSN and QVC seems to always sell out the bigger sizes in jewelry, shoes and clothing. Just some of my observations. 8) Seriously some of these big box shops need to get with the program and start trying to upsell. Their business "gurus" at the top may be surprised by the profits if they let trans women work there openly passable or not. Just sayin'. :embarrassed:
  •