Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

depictions in entertainment

Started by Jailyn, November 11, 2017, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roll

It's a conundrum whether to cast male or female actors unfortunately. Sadly, male are more realistic at the start, but without the actual effects of hormones and transitioning, during the course of any storyline it will become unrealistic. Female are less realistic at the start but then become more realistic as it goes. Voice is also a bigger issue for the female actors I think.

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 14, 2017, 08:45:36 AM
2. Soldiers girl. Calpernia isn't especially pretty in my opinion but she's attractive and passable. In this movie she was portrayed by a cis male. That was a disservice to her. The actor who played her wasn't passable as a woman. He looked like a guy with make-up and female clothes.

I may be wrong, but in this case I think at the time the story took place Calpernia wasn't on hormones, just doing drag? (Meaning the male actor maybe actually was accurate, but I'm not really positive this is true, just something I remember reading years ago.) I know she was involved in the movie, at least. I don't think Lee Pace (who all else aside, amazing actor, Pushing Daisies is the best) really had the same look as her at all, though he was a way, way better choice than many actors overall.

(Edit: Okay, on Calpernia's site I found a reference to that she was "early in transition", and apparently early enough that she still didn't know how to do makeup subtly(without going full stage makeup). In that case, a male actor is understandable.)

And not directly related, but... You know what the biggest stroke of luck in the world was? Laverne Cox having a twin for pre-transition scenes in OITNB.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Allie24

Some trans women don't pass, though and can't afford/can't have/don't want surgery. I think that if these attributes are integral to the character in a film then (if no non-passing trans woman is available) then a cis man should take the role.

The error in Hollywood is that some of these aspects are not even a part of the character's experience in the story, and therefore just exist because the writers/directors/actors were ill-informed/ignorant (prime example being Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club... probably one of the worst trans characters I have ever seen on film). But in a film like Normal, where you have a trans woman who can't afford to leave her small town and has no contact with a trans community (which is a real situation that can happen) then it makes total sense having a cis man in the role because she's not going to have access to any of those things.
  •  

Roll

Quote from: Allie24 on November 14, 2017, 10:20:07 AM
(prime example being Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club... probably one of the worst trans characters I have ever seen on film).

But then Jared Leto ruins everything.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•