Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Travel blues

Started by Selene, November 15, 2017, 07:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selene

I had my first HRT/Gender affirming Hormone therapy appointment at my nearest informed consent clinic.

I say nearest, but in actual mileage it is a 600 plus mile round trip. The first appointment is just an intake, blood draw, doctor meeting. I was so exited, I couldn't sleep the night before. I called ahead to see if they needed me to do an earlier check in, and was given some bad news. Somehow, during a scheduling conflict, I wasn't notified that my appointment had been dropped, and a reschedule was never made. I was told I would be given either a phone call, or text message if a rare complication arose. Didn't get either.

So there I was, 320 miles from home in Renton, feeling a little pissed. After some complaints, they scheduled me in that day in the other clinic in Tacoma.  I appreciated that, after all it was their fault. I made it to the other clinic, and had my intake. After a very fast introduction, and some peculiar questions, I finished the first leg of this particular process.

Rewind a little bit... When I first learned of these informed consent clinics, I though it was the best option. I did ask the person setting up my appointment several times if I could simply acquire my prescriptions, and set up my follow up appointments with my local doctor. "That's something you'll have to ask your doctor here." That's the response I always got. Not much of a problem, and that's what I did.

Well, I'm supposed to drive to the clinic/doctor who prescribes my HRT exclusively. That's a lot of driving back and fourth. I'm willing to do it, but I find myself weighing my options again. After that clinic messed up my first appointment (which I wanted to be special) -and the very odd questions from my/the Doctor, my confidence with them is rather shaky. There is that, but I realize things don't always go as planned. Anyhow, I have that first appointment/step under my belt. Having to wait another friggin month though is a bummer. Again, I know that is because there are a lot of people that go there.

Soooo....

I'm going to look for a therapist that knows transgender issues, and to begin that process in the hopes I can do everything locally. Either option has its benefits at this stage. I'm keeping all options open, with no conflicts.

On one hand, I can finally begin hormones in one month from now, but will have to travel hundreds of miles, many times at great expense since they don't take my Medicare.

On the other hand, possibly using my medical for actual assistance. Therapist sessions for the doctor referral I need, and wait a bit longer. My expenses will be much less, and I won't have to drive in Seattle area traffic. I don't do well in city driving.

The determining factor will be from now, and the time for my next appointment at the informed consent clinic that I can find a competent, and reasonable therapist for my referral "letter."

Not so much a rant, but more of a -I still have a lot to learn about healthcare experience.
  •  

Meghan

That to far away for go to see doctor and Therapist. My just down the road from my house. Both my Therapist and GP is in the same building. My next appointment is on December Fourth to Meet my Mentor and begin Hormones Replacement, since my doctor already have all my blood work done.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant
  •