Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FFS with Dr. Simon & Dr. Bellinga at FacialTeam

Started by Kendra, November 23, 2017, 05:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davina61

The Stay Puffed lady has left the room, swelling going down nicely . Couple of weeks and folk will be saying who's this hottie
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Kendra

Aww - thank you!  Or if the swelling persists I'll get a Crash Test Dummy t-shirt with matching stickers for my face. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Kendra on May 26, 2018, 03:19:28 PM
Aww - thank you!  Or if the swelling persists I'll get a Crash Test Dummy t-shirt with matching stickers for my face.
Or a T shirt that says "You should have seen the bus that ran into me!"

The swelling will go down but it will seem like it takes forever. As small of area as my nose was, the swelling lasted the better part of a year.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Kendra

My forehead and chin need tire valves.  "Inflate to 36 psi / 250kPa"   :P
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Paula1

After my original FFS in 2004, I flew back to the UK 🇬🇧 a week later and told everyone that I had been "Hit by a Mack Truck"!!! 😉😉. Kendra it takes a few weeks to get better ... 😀
  •  

islandgirl

So glad to hear that all went well with your surgeries. I knew you were going but for some reason, just missed this thread. Your have been through a lot in the surgeries and are doing so well! All the Best with your recovery and have a safe trip back!
  •  

Kendra

Day 7.  Every morning starts out with very dry lips and dry back of throat caused by sleeping with nose mostly plugged up like a cold.  Face is more puffed up first hour or so after getting up, then calms down after standing upright.  Probably a gravity thing, and one reason it's nice all the beds at Aldea are power-tilt.  Keeping bed angled up the entire stay here is known to improve healing. 

My hair is also pretty dried out - not from the weather but from having it washed every day.  I didn't realize this was required so I didn't bring more than the usual miniature airline carry-on size shampoo, conditioner and other stuff in the brand I prefer.  A nurse washes my hair every day in a nice comfy salon chair, checks and if necessary cleans the stitches in the skull.  I wish I had brought full-size containers of my favorite hair products.

But enough complaining about hair.  After getting past the first few days I am amazed how things are starting to settle in, and super happy there will apparently be no visible scars anywhere - not even from the lip lift.

Makeup is allowed starting with day 7.  I've been walking up a nice hill behind the resort every day but also resting quite a bit - I have been sleeping a surprising amount.  I've started using the swimming pools a bit but must keep face and hair above water.  Heavily chlorinated water is not allowed for several weeks. 

Photo taken 6 days post-op, no makeup

Close-up of area under nose - incision went all the way across and I can barely see it. 

Photo taken 7 days post-op, with makeup
  •  

Megan.

You're already looking amazing. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Anne Blake

I am proud of you girl! Well done chasing and capturing your dreams.

Tia Anne
  •  

islandgirl

Amazing! You are looking great in that swim suit! May the rest of your recovery go smoothly! Hugs, Kelly
  •  

davina61

Swift recovery, looking brill . Wont be long before your back home .
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jessica

You DO look amazing already Kendra!  Heal quickly and make it south to Astoria?!?

Hugs and smiles, Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Kendra

Thank you girls  ;)

Day eight.  Stitches removed today - took awhile as nurse very carefully removed each stitch across top of skull.  And nose cap removed.  Nose cap left adhesive reside on surface of nose.  I was able to remove that later with makeup remover.

Another set of 3D photos were taken, and a set of regular camera photos.  Dr. Bellinga re-checked my nose and top of head where stitches had just been removed.  Dr. Simon was next, he checked a few things on my forehead and inside mouth.  We went over pre- and post-op photos and CT scans.  Comparing CT scans is interesting, especially the side profile.

Me, before and after

Day eight post-op

Lip-lift incision under nose barely visible

Today at Aldea
  •  

Megan.

Incredible, what a fast recovery! X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Laurie

I guess I'm a Laurie come late to the party. I just looked at this thread Kendra and I see a lot of changes in you. I can't wait to see how you look after all the swelling goes down but what I can see looks good to me.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Paula1

Hi Kendra,

You are looking great honeybun.

Hugs

Paula xx
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Well done kendra ☺  looking good so soon post op that pic it the pool looks great
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Kendra

Thank you!  ;)

Looking back at 10 nights: 2 at HC Hospital, 8 at Aldea health resort.  Knowing what I do now, would I do this the same way?  Absolutely, yes. 

We each have unique details in our goals.  And factors including health, age, genetic background, finances.  I am saddened by the fact not every transgender individual has access to resources for FFS, much as GCS and other procedures that may improve quality of life or are even life-saving are often out of reach.  I have felt guilty at times posting when things go well.  I want to provide information to potentially help others, much as the information I gathered from friends I made here at Susan's Place definitely helped my decisions.

I will say this purely on my own, not as site volunteer (moderator) but just my thoughts: if you have the money to have FFS you should be donating to Susan's Place to help others.  I do, and I do.  The information at Susan's has changed peoples' lives and in many cases has literally saved lives.  I didn't know some things were even possible until I spent time here. 

Looking back at the first ten days, it was day three when it hit me: this is a profound change.  I had been told this might happen, but looking at before/after photos is two-dimensional and didn't quite prepare me for what I saw in the mirror.  I'll admit I sat down on day three several times, crying like I never have before and in a good way.  It still stops me in my tracks when I'm not thinking about it and catch a reflection in a window - how a relatively slight change in skull shape has such an impact on facial features. 

The other thing I wasn't expecting is just how comprehensive the aftercare is.  Careful facial massages, optional acupuncture, hair washed by a nurse each day, daily checks for blood pressure, pulse and oxygen level.  The on-site nurse at Aldea can provide sleeping medicine if necessary (I didn't, but heard about this from another FacialTeam guest).  A FacialTeam psychologist holds an optional weekly meeting at Aldea and is available on-call.  I don't think any of this was frivolous - these are things to help with healing.  I had some pain in my eyes post-op, probably from swelling but it wasn't going away quickly enough.  FacialTeam arranged to take me to an ophthalmologist as a precaution, but I canceled that after the second acupuncture session removed the pain.  I don't exactly know how acupuncture works but it worked for me.  I am amazed at the quality of post-op aftercare, and of course the operation itself.

If you stay at Aldea, the current arrangement is you'll be checking into Aldea the first night where you'll have a large private room with two small beds and lots of storage space.  From Aldea you'll go to HC Hospital for two nights, leaving the majority of your stuff in your room at Aldea.  The food at both places is good enough to get the job done - better than many airlines but it ain't a tapas bar.  Something I wish Aldea provided was filtered water - I usually drink tap water (it's totally safe in this area).  I've heard the bottled water they sell is expensive, so I picked up a few litres at a grocery before settling in at Aldea.  I asked FacialTeam if there's a way for Aldea to add a water filter machine in the hallway or dining area - maybe they will in the future.

Things to bring to Aldea:
- Full size container of shampoo, conditioner and other hair products.  I mistakenly brought miniature airline carry-on size of my favorite hair products and promptly ran out because I didn't realize my hair would be washed every day. 
- Full size hairbrush if you have long hair.  I almost brought a compact travel brush instead, and was glad to have my full size brush.  After surgery and initial hair washing my hair was a tangled mess... required careful brushing.
- Hair straightening iron (if you use one), 110-220 volts.  For travel I use an inexpensive dual-voltage with an insulated carry bag, easier to pack if it's still warm.  $25 USD on Amazon
- International power plug adapters.  If your home is in North America, I like this one because it's small.
- Chap Stick.  If you're into the Katy Perry song bring cherry flavored.  You won't be breathing through your nose a week or two after FFS, and that means you'll wake up every morning with very dry lips from breathing through your mouth. 
- Q-Tips to help clean areas around your nose if you get that altered.  And for eye goobers or whatever the technical term is. 
- Little purse-size packages of Kleenex tissue.  Having my face taken apart and reassembled caused a runny nose for several days.
- Sandals.  Weather in Marbella is usually nice, but the main reason is for indoors.  Sandals are easier to put on than socks or shoes, and the first few days after surgery you may not feel like bending down.
- Sharpie felt pen.  Why?  Because the pills provided for the first few days all look similar and have teeeny markings on the foil packaging and might not be English language.  To help avoid mistakes, write what they are on the packaging.
- Spray-on sunscreen, especially for face.  You probably won't apply this for the first few days, but once you do go outside the sun here can be intense.  I didn't bring one but a hat might be good.
- Makeup remover.  I used this to remove glue from outside of my nose after the plastic splint/cap was removed.
- Makeup.  I don't normally wear foundation but needed it after day 7 (when makeup is first allowed) to cover bruising.
- Phone, laptop, charger. 
- Soft bristle toothbrush.  After FFS you will have stitches inside your mouth - best with soft bristles.
- Tweezers.  You won't use these at first, but if you have a lip lift some stitches will work their way through the skin.  Don't force it - give the stitches time to dissolve - but tweezers can be handy for very carefully removing flaking skin next to the stitches.
- If you've recently had GCS: spare underwear, pads, dilation kit.

Things you won't need at Aldea:
- Hair dryer.  Aldea has one built into the wall, and their dryer has a North America style power outlet (for powering your flat iron) although that is 220 volts not 110v.
- Extra snacks, unless you have a favorite (there isn't a grocery nearby, and no convenience store or vending machine on-site).  Your room includes a small fridge and there is plenty of stuff in the dining room - extra fruit you can take to your room, packaged yogurt etc. 

Bring to HC Hospital:
- Chap Stick
- Toothbrush etc.
- Sandals.  Easier than dealing with socks or shoes after surgery.  The place is very clean but you should never walk barefoot on any hospital floor.
- Phone, laptop, charger, and international power plug adapters.
- If you've recently had GCS: spare underwear, pads, dilation kit.  Bladder control might not be good the first day after anesthesia.

After leaving FacialTeam and Aldea I took a train to Madrid and stayed at an AirBnB near the main train station.  I didn't realize how much Madrid is like a Spanish version of Paris - filled with sidewalk cafés selling tapas, carefully preserved historic buildings all through the central district, and it's huge.  I walked 7 hours in one day and enjoyed every minute.  According to my GPS that was 7 miles (11km). 

Balcony of AirBnB apartment in Madrid, $65 USD per night.

Plaza Mayor (Major Town Square)

Ten days post-op
  •  

Paula1

Hi Kendra,

You look smoking and are very attractive.

The difference pre-op to post-op is outstanding and you would never know your background.

Not a bruise in sight too.

Thank you for your narrative which is fascinating and informative. It reflects my journey in many ways but fortunately without my complications before finding Facial Team.

Have a great trip home and look forward to hearing more about your healing progress.

Hugs

Paula
  •  

islandgirl

Your look great! I have really appreciated your narrative about your journey. I can only imagine the feelings you have now that you are on this side of the surgery.

You look so happy! Have a great trip back! Play On!

Hugs,
Kelly
  •