Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My Experience Changing My Name And Gender Marker In Ontario

Started by Sofie L, November 25, 2017, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofie L

After going "full-time" in early September, it took me about a month to realize that it was time to change my I.D. to properly reflect my true name and gender. I knew that it would only be a matter of time until I was challenged regarding the identification or the name on my credit card that I was presenting to someone. The final clincher was that my passport was coming due in less than six months. I couldn't justify renewing it under my old name and gender only to have to redo it again in short order down the road. So, it was time to officially become Sofie.

I must admit that I hadn't been sure what the legalities were for changing one's gender marker in Ontario. I had wrongly assumed that I'd have to wait until my medical processes were complete. It turns out that I was wrong. Thanks to recent Canadian court decisions, one may change their official gender marker in Canada to match their true gender identity without undergoing any surgeries. The ten provinces and three territories, who are responsible for registering births and handing out most of the I.D.s that one usually draws upon in daily life, have changed their policies to reflect that, with some minor differences.

There were two things that I was intending to do at the same time: change my name, and change my gender marker. The first of those is less cumbersome to undertake. People change their names all the time. In Ontario, as long as the requested name isn't contrary to the public good (e.g. Heil Hitler Smith would probably result in a polite rejection letter), you can pretty much call yourself whatever your heart desires.

The Province of Ontario has pretty much every form you could think of available for download and printing on their website. The Name Change form is about 19+ pages long (make sure you have a lot of ink!). Most of the fields can be filled in electronically to keep everything neat. For obvious reasons, the government wants to make sure that you are not changing your name with nefarious intent (e.g. to avoid a debt or a criminal warrant). To that end you will have to list all your significant debts on the application form. You will also have to admit to any history of criminal charges and convictions, or any other matters that are presently before the courts. If you have any criminal history, whatsoever, you will have to request a criminal background check, at your cost, from your local police dept. This background check will have to be included with your application.

You will need your application to be signed by a guarantor. This is usually someone from a small number of registered professions who has known you for a period of time (e.g. a doctor, a judge, a priest, etc.) If you are married, or in a common-law relationship, you will have to get your spouse to fill out a part of the application that attests to the fact the they are aware of your requested name change, and are o.k. with it. I suppose this is in place to stop someone from skipping out on their familial obligations. The spouse cannot be compelled to sign the form, and you can still change your name without their sign-off, but it will be a bit more difficult for you. You will have to explain to the province why the form is not completed. I didn't read the fine-print too closely regarding that situation as it didn't apply to me. I also don't know whether that applies to someone having an ex-spouse. You will have to read the fine print, which is expressly described in the application.

One must remember that the Ontario government publishes all name changes in the Ontario Gazette - the official transcript of all governement business in the Province of Ontario. Provincial law allows for transgender persons to request that their name change not be published (to protect personal safety). You must download a specific form from the Ontario government website that activates this request, and include the form with your name change application.

Your request to change your gender marker is done on a totally separate form from the name change application. The gender marker change application form is much shorter than that for the name change, but has other hoops that you must jump through. Firstly, you must include a letter from your GP (or other health care provder - a list is provded on the website) stating that your current gender marker does not reflect your true gender identity, and that changing your gender marker to ... will reflect your true gender identity. The exact required wording is presented in the website. This must be an original letter, not a photocopy. The only hiccup in my application process occurred because my doctor used an automatically generated signature on her letter. It was returned to me and I had to have her sign it by her own hand in ink.

You will also have to surrender all copies of your current birth certificate with the application. They don't want extra yous floating around out there! (If you know that you have lost a previously issued birth certificate, type and sign a seperate letter attesting to the fact, and include it with your application form).

Everything has a fee and, of course, you will have to provide your credit card information on both applications. You'll be paying for the processing of the applications, as well as your new birth certificate in your new name and gender. (Yay!)

The question has been asked which application form should be submitted first, your name change or your gender marker change. Both applications are handled by the Registrar General's office in Thunder Bay, Ontario. There is an information line listed on the applications. I phoned the number and asked that exact question. The very helpful person on the other end stated that both applications are handled in the same office, usually by the same person. So, mail them together in one large manila envelope. Don't be afraid to use little post-it notes if you think certain things need extra explanation.

While, officially, the province would like you to directly mail your application bundle to the RG in Thunder Bay, I discovered another way to submit the paperwork. Through a tip on another website, I learned that the Service Ontario office at 47 Sheppard Av E in Toronto also accepts the applications in person. I went with this route because I wanted everything double-checked before it got sent away. I don't know if the applications would be accepted at other SO offices. They are notorious for offering differing levels of services.

The processing time is offered as 6 to 8 weeks. As I said, I had my doctor's letter returned to me by the end of the second week. The clerk's check-off sheet was included, which cleared showed that everything else that I had submitted was accepted. (Yay!) Now, I just have to wait for my new birth certificate to arrive in the mail.

In Canada, your birth certificate is "Document 0". Most every other official document that you will get in your life depends on your birth certificate: your provincial driver's licence; your O.H.I.P. health card (yay government health care!); your passports, etc., etc. All these things will cost more money, and involve more trips to various government offices. But, it's happening, and I'm not bothered in the least to do the footwork to become the real me.

I will add to this thread as I move along the document process. I will be sure to mention any hiccups that I encounter along the way.

If anyone else in Ontario (or elsewhere in Canada, for that matter) can add anything, or has any questions, feel free to DM me. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Thank you for this useful summary.  While there are minor differences in paperwork among provinces, the process is pretty similar across the country.

You are right that your birth certificate is document zero.  None of the provinces, to my knowledge, have a separate register of gender markers.  Your gender marker is whatever is on your birth certificate.  Gender markers on driver's licences or other such documents are simply copies of whatever is on your birth certificate and cannot be changed independently.

While that works well for people with birth certificates that are easily changed, people with foreign birth certificates can encounter a roadblock there.  As a result, my driver's licence and health card both list me as Kathleen _____, sex: M.  :(
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Sofie L

Update #1

My new birth certificate and confirmation of name change arrived on December 6th. This was two weeks after I had resent the appropriate applications to the Province of Ontario's Registrar General's office in Thunder Bay. (There had been one small hiccup regarding my doctor's letter that had to accompany the applications, meaning that I had the applications sent back to me for clarification). All-in-all, it was a very painless process that took less than a month.

I am now Sofie, and I am now female. Yay!

In Ontario, the name change confirmation document and your new birth certificate will arrive in different envelopes. They were addressed to my old name, which gave me a minor heart attack, but everything was as it should be once I opened the envelopes.

The following day (today) I headed for one of the very few Service Ontario offices that are open on Saturdays. It was very easy to change my driver's licence to my new name and gender marker. This office also changed over the name on my provincial health card. Anyone who lives in Ontario knows that various Service Ontario offices will randomly handle, and not handle, the processing of different provincial documents, or parts thereof. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to these different functions, and I was caught up in the bureaucratic silliness today, when the staff refused to change the gender listed on my provincial health card from that office. I must go to another office on Monday to do that. Because, well, just because. So, for the weekend at least, I am both female and male in the eyes of the provincial government! At least the staff that was helping me congratulated me on the new me. That was a nice gesture!

Next stop was my local bank. The very young teller dropped an "Oh, wow!" when she saw my old name and new name. I guess I was the first trans customer that had she had been approached by to change names. She was totally cool about it all, though, as were the tellers on either side that clued in on what was happening. Smiles all around. I have received nothing but good vibes from all the women in officialdom that I've had to stand in front of during this journey. (The biggest shock was that there were actually three tellers on duty!) I was assured that a new credit card was on the way. After all, they don't care what my name is, they just want my money.

Pro tip: Take both your new birth certificate and name change certificate to all the places where you need to change your documents. You won't know which office needs which document, and you don't want to be caught short.

So there, in less than a week, I will have in my possession all the official documents that I need for day-to-day living. Next up, the federal passport office, which means a trip to the local camera shop to get my photo taken.

So far, everything is going smoothly.   

•  

natalie.ashlyne

Congratulations I Just filled out all that this week and have to get a guarantor. Yes service Ontario is so much fun to deal with. Had my wallet stolen in Sept I was made to wait till I received my id back to than change everything to prove it is me. All that is, is a money scam by the government.
  •  

Sofie L

Update # 2

Received my replacement Visa card with my proper name on Dec. 18, about 6 working days after I requested it. My permanent driver's licence, with photo and my new name, and a big, fat "F" where one should be (!), arrived in the mail on Dec. 22. I now have proper photo I.D. with my correct name and gender on it. That is a HUGE relief to me as I was quite worried about being pulled over or asked to identify myself. Armed with all of this, I will be off to the passport office this week to apply for my new passport. Hopefully, I should be able to have that in my hands by the middle of January.

Pro Tip: If you are in Ontario, you will get issued a new driver's licence number when you transition gender. This is because it is provincial policy to list male drivers' dates of birth as the last 6 numbers in the licence, but female drivers do not have their dates of birth in the licence number. I was told that this is because, in decades previous, women did not want to give up their dates of birth on application forms that asked for your DL number, so the policy was altered at some point. So...remember to change your DL anywhere that it is listed e.g. car insurance, work records, rental car frequent customer records, etc.   
  •  

Sofie L

Update # 3

Received my new Canadian passport in the mail around January 9th. I had submitted the application for that on Dec. 28th, so it came quite quickly. The next day I trudged off to the Nexus office at Toronto Pearson airport to update the information on my Nexus card. I was quite worried about this step,since I would have to deal with U.S. customs people as well as Canadian Border Services. It turned out to be a non-event. At the airport, you do not need an appointment if you are just updating information on your card. There are two seperate sign-in clipboards - enrolements and updates. Sign in under updates. You will need your new passport, your change of name certificate from the province, your new birth certificate and your old Nexus card (which you will obviously surrender). They will need to see the magical "F" on your birth certificate (or, "M", if you are transitioning to male!), before they will change it in their records. They will take your new picture and give you photocopied instructions on how to order a new card via the U.S. government website. The U.S. have, yet again, changed their websites, and you will have to register for a universal government login that is supposedly used for every federal U.S. website now. Then...you go to another website to order a new card. I was instructed to check "Card Damaged" as the reason I want a new card. It presently costs US$25 for a replacement card. Now, just wait by the mailbox...

A friend of mine who is also trans reminded me to get my Social Insurance Number (S.I.N. card) updated at Service Canada. (I had totally forgot about that card). This will be essential if you are applying for jobs in Canada in the future.

I am well on the way of changing over my multitude of points and travel cards. They all have varying rules. Some require letters and such via snail mail. Most, though, have policies in place so that you can do everything over the internet. I usually have to just send .pdfs of the pertinent documents. Most have changed my info within a day or two of requesting it.

So far, no major hiccups on this end of things. Most companies and levels of government in Canada seem to have gotten with the program when it comes to dealling with transgender customers. Canada really has been amazing to me!
  •  

Margaret M

I applied for a change of name the first week of February and went to 47 Shepard to see a commissioner to take an oath and swear that the information is true and then I sent it to Thunder Bay express post (regional) with a signature so I could able to track it and know that it was received. Sending express post cost me $17.29 and it was received two (2) days later.

If you see a commissioner at 47 Shepard or any other ServiceOntario location which has a commissioner, make sure you bring valid, government issued photo ID to verify your identity for the oath.

By the third week my application was returned to me for various reasons:

1. My country of birth was missing. One would expect that if one is born in Ontario that you are Canadian by birth and you need not put Canada as your country of birth. Unbeknown to me I was to put this on the application.

2. I used the postal abbreviation 'ON' for Ontario as my province of birth. They said the name of the province was to be spelt in full and that abbreviations were not allowed anywhere on the application.

3. The telephone format was incorrect. I used periods between the numbers (e.g. 416.000.000). They said the area code must be in parentheses (  ) and use a hyphen elsewhere (e.g. (416) 000-0000).

It is obvious that the person who is processing my application is a bureaucrat and real stickler for accuracy. Despite the small setback I await with much anticipation.

To all my sisters and brothers who are in the process of changing their name, to avoid unnecessary delays make sure you fill  in all the required spaces even it seems trivial.

•  

KathyLauren

Hi, Margaret!

Welcome to Susan's.

Thank you sharing your experience.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •