Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Anchovies on your pizza?

Started by Megan., November 28, 2017, 03:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinead

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 29, 2017, 11:26:30 AM
Lol, no I don't think we could. BBQ on pizza is icky! The only worse thing than BBQ on pizza is chicken on a pizza. Ewwwww

I used to think that, before I tried BBQ on pizza, omg it's so good :P. Again, don't listen to me, I love BBQ sauce more than life itself
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: big kim on November 29, 2017, 12:27:34 PM
There's some bizarre fusion pizzas in Blackpool, green Thai chicken curry pizza anyone? Kebab meat pizza, and for the true Philistine battered pizza

It's just crazy enough to be tasty.  I bet kebab meat is actually pretty good.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Devlyn

I like your new avatar pic, Colleen!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Roll

Quality is what matters!

Terrible anchovies (any you get a fast food pizza place) make terrible pizza. Good anchovies (white usually) with the proper seasonings, great pizza. Has to be on a crispy, thin crust though. Something about thicker crust or even brooklyn style "floppy" thin just doesn't work with anchovies for me. Overall though, definitely better for a Caeser.

Re: Mushrooms. Mushrooms are a classic topping, and one of the greatest foods of all time, how dare people denigrate their good name! ;D But, again, it's quality. Random canned mushrooms or low end white mushrooms, meh at best, bordering on outright gross. Some nice portobella or shiitake mushrooms, soooooooo good. Have to get a proper sear on them in a good brick oven or under a broiler though, you don't want them soggy. Goes particularly well with a good pepperoni. Alternatively, sautee them first and get some of the moisture out.

Hawaiian pizza is a monstrosity. Pineapple should not be served hot, ever. Even grilled pineapple should be allowed to cool.

Crust depends on the toppings. Brooklyn is the best all purpose. Not a fan of the chicago style deep dish, it's just a wannabe pot pie, but works with some toppings/fillings like spinach and feta.

BBQ on pizza I don't care for. I've had decent BBQ chicken pizzas, but they might as well have been any random sandwich. Waste of pizza calories.

My perfect pizza is simple: Brooklyn style crust with a classic red sauce, Mozz + Prov + Cheddar blend, tons of pepperoni, and extremely finely ground beef (EXTREMELY finely ground) placed on top of the pepperonis so that as the oil from the pepperoni cooks out it fries the beef, with some roasted garlic for extra kick. Top with red pepper flakes and the fakest, cheapest, grated parm there is.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Laurie

Ellie, We would make great pizza partners.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Julia1996

One of my mom's friends is Italian.  She had said a couple of times that she was going to make us a real pizza and one day she brought us a pizza. The crust was all thin and all it had on it was cheese and some kind of greens. And that was ALL. Nothing else! And the cheese wasnt even all over the pizza. It looked like she just put pieces of random cheese on it. Stingy with the toppings much?  I started talking about that sad half assed pizza at work and someone told me that's authentic Italian pizza. Pizza with no toppings and stingy amounts of cheese? Totally sad!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Roll on November 30, 2017, 12:49:25 PM
Quality is what matters!

Terrible anchovies (any you get a fast food pizza place) make terrible pizza. Good anchovies (white usually) with the proper seasonings, great pizza. Has to be on a crispy, thin crust though. Something about thicker crust or even brooklyn style "floppy" thin just doesn't work with anchovies for me. Overall though, definitely better for a Caeser.

Re: Mushrooms. Mushrooms are a classic topping, and one of the greatest foods of all time, how dare people denigrate their good name! ;D But, again, it's quality. Random canned mushrooms or low end white mushrooms, meh at best, bordering on outright gross. Some nice portobella or shiitake mushrooms, soooooooo good. Have to get a proper sear on them in a good brick oven or under a broiler though, you don't want them soggy. Goes particularly well with a good pepperoni. Alternatively, sautee them first and get some of the moisture out.

Hawaiian pizza is a monstrosity. Pineapple should not be served hot, ever. Even grilled pineapple should be allowed to cool.

Crust depends on the toppings. Brooklyn is the best all purpose. Not a fan of the chicago style deep dish, it's just a wannabe pot pie, but works with some toppings/fillings like spinach and feta.

BBQ on pizza I don't care for. I've had decent BBQ chicken pizzas, but they might as well have been any random sandwich. Waste of pizza calories.

My perfect pizza is simple: Brooklyn style crust with a classic red sauce, Mozz + Prov + Cheddar blend, tons of pepperoni, and extremely finely ground beef (EXTREMELY finely ground) placed on top of the pepperonis so that as the oil from the pepperoni cooks out it fries the beef, with some roasted garlic for extra kick. Top with red pepper flakes and the fakest, cheapest, grated parm there is.

No sliced black olives? :'(
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Roll

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 30, 2017, 01:01:42 PM
One of my mom's friends is Italian.  She had said a couple of times that she was going to make us a real pizza and one day she brought us a pizza. The crust was all thin and all it had on it was cheese and some kind of greens. And that was ALL. Nothing else! And the cheese wasnt even all over the pizza. It looked like she just put pieces of random cheese on it. Stingy with the toppings much?  I started talking about that sad half assed pizza at work and someone told me that's authentic Italian pizza. Pizza with no toppings and stingy amounts of cheese? Totally sad!

Sounds like a Margherita pizza. Popular around here, but I don't care for them. Fresh mozz is really good, but I prefer the full coverage with it rather than the individual blobs.

"Authentic" pizza is largely a myth. There are countless varieties of pizza in Italy, and every random person claims the version they prefer is the original. Typically though, you will see the fresh mozz and really charred outer edges on the crusts (actual thickness varies, though to some people at a certain point you are just making Foccacia with toppings).

Arguably, Americanized pizza has just as robust of a history, if not more so, since pizza doesn't carry quite the weight in traditional Italian cuisine that it does here. (I would compare "American" pizza to Cajun cuisine, which is really just French recipes adjusted for new ingredients in a new world that evolved over time. And Cajun is certainly considered perfectly legitimate, so no reason not to consider "Italian American" to be anything but. Not to mention the Italians ripped off the Chinese for most of their stuff to begin with, so if we were to question Americanized versions of things the entire Italian staple lineup gets thrown out along with it by the same logic. ;D)

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 30, 2017, 01:03:37 PM
No sliced black olives? :'(

That's my sister's go to, but I am weird about olives. I don't dislike the taste, but... I can't eat them. I always associate them with the usual pimento stuffed green olives, and they creep me out. They look like sickly, blood shot eyeballs in a jar, and they have bothered me since I was a little kid. One of those things I've never been able to let go. ;D
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Julia1996

A jar full of eyeballs! That's hilarious. Lol.  I totally LOVE green olives. I love the stuffed olives. Stuffed with about anything. Pimento, garlic cloves, almonds, etc, and I love the black ones too.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Angela Drakken

I have YET to find a place other than a sit down type of restaurant that does anchovies on pizza to my liking.
Delivery they always seem super dry and flavourless.

Def a big fan though.

I get teased alot for eating sardines for lunch almost every day also.. >.<

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Angela Drakken on November 30, 2017, 04:20:16 PM
I have YET to find a place other than a sit down type of restaurant that does anchovies on pizza to my liking.
Delivery they always seem super dry and flavourless.

Def a big fan though.

I get teased alot for eating sardines for lunch almost every day also.. >.<

I like the sardines in the mustard sauce. Lol, my brother gets skeezed out just looking at sardines.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

My understand is the original Pizza was a bread crust with leftovers on it. After that it evolved into something not intended to get rid of leftovers. Remember is tomatoes are not a part of original italian cooking. Tomatoes are a new world plant and for a long time they were considered to be poisons. Pizza would have started out as a simple dish, possibly a crust with cheese and a few herbs sprinkled on the top for flavor. It took Americans to really go overboard on the toppings.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dena on November 30, 2017, 04:52:27 PM
My understand is the original Pizza was a bread crust with leftovers on it. After that it evolved into something not intended to get rid of leftovers. Remember is tomatoes are not a part of original italian cooking. Tomatoes are a new world plant and for a long time they were considered to be poisons. Pizza would have started out as a simple dish, possibly a crust with cheese and a few herbs sprinkled on the top for flavor. It took Americans to really go overboard on the toppings.

People thought tomatoes were poison? ? That's so weird. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 30, 2017, 05:04:22 PM
People thought tomatoes were poison? ? That's so weird. Lol
It had to do with the red color. Several plants that are poison also have red fruit and for a while europeans feared the plant as it's a member of the nightshade family. This didn't stop others from eating it but it couldn't be used in the old world until the new world was discovered.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Megan. on November 28, 2017, 03:48:03 AM
Succulent morsels of delightfully feisty flavour.
or
Nausea inducing, works of evil.

what say ye?

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Bit too salty for me. I'd rather have anchovies than pineapple on a pizza, though.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

V M

Potatoes were considered poisonous for quite awhile as well

Anyway, I love pineapple and could add it to just about anything

I also love just about any other type of tropical fruit

Oh great, now I'm craving a Kahuna burger

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: V M on November 30, 2017, 06:51:39 PM
Potatoes were considered poisonous for quite awhile as well

Anyway, I love pineapple and could add it to just about anything

I also love just about any other type of tropical fruit

Oh great, now I'm craving a Kahuna burger
What's on a Kahuna burger? It's Hawaiian I assume.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

V M

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 30, 2017, 06:59:47 PM
What's on a Kahuna burger? It's Hawaiian I assume.

It's a cheeseburger with pineapple on it  ;D  There are several renditions of it, almost as much of a "Free for All" as pizza
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: Julia1996 on November 30, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
I like the sardines in the mustard sauce. Lol, my brother gets skeezed out just looking at sardines.
Tomato sauce, hot sauce, jalapeno and olive oil, lemon,
Black pepper sauce, oh my list goes on..

•  

big kim

Sardine fan here, never seen mustard ones. I usually have tomato sauce sardines on toast
  •