Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Self acceptance in transition questions.

Started by Pao, December 14, 2017, 06:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pao

A few questions:

What finally made you come out?

Did you struggle with whether not to transition?

Aside from dysphoria itself, what made you finally transition?

How did you really reach self acceptance?

I'm struggling with these. I question myself constantly. But I am absolutely terrified of coming out.  Also the desire for children either biologically or through adoption is a concern. And also that I'm a queer guy,  in what appears to be a heteronormative relationship at the moment.

Did any of you move to a different state to transition?  I'm in a relatively progressive part of the south, sort of.  But I wonder if there's anywhere I could go.  I want to live a rural life, but it seems medical care and psychological care all revolve around cities.
  •  

Elis

Quote from: Pao on December 14, 2017, 06:25:22 AM
A few questions:

I'm struggling with these. I question myself constantly. But I am absolutely terrified of coming out.  Also the desire for children either biologically or through adoption is a concern. And also that I'm a queer guy,  in what appears to be a heteronormative relationship at the moment.

1. Just became tired of merely existing and not living. As well as the weight of body and social dysphoria. I simply couldn't bare to live that way anymore and reached my limit. Coming out and repercussions of that seemed better than my current existence.

2. Yep because of fear of negative reactions. Deciding whether or not I really wanted or needed medical intervention. And whether it'd be 'worth' it.

3. Sort of covered that in one

4. I just stopped caring what others think. As cliché and impossible as that sounds. I still care slightly on some level because everyone does; but people will always find a way to judge you about anything. So you may as well try and live your life the best way for yourself.

I still struggle with internalised transphobia but it's getting better the longer I've been on T and since I've had top surgery.

I'm a queer guy myself so have that to deal with as well as the trans stuff
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

aves

A few questions:

Did any of you move to a different state to transition?  I'm in a relatively progressive part of the south, sort of.  But I wonder if there's anywhere I could go.  I want to live a rural life, but it seems medical care and psychological care all revolve around cities.

I decided to come out because I knew I had been lying to myself for years and I needed to finally accept myself and get over the fact transitioning would be a hard few years but it would be better than suffering with my identity not fitting me for the rest of my life.

Yes. I can remember this time last year talking about feeling gender dysphoric to friends in less words. I actually said "if I were to ever transition" and those words haunted me. It was like a breath of fresh air when I finally came out (and I did it all within two months; I now live socially known as my chosen name and he/him pronouns, except for at work because I haven't started hormones yet and I live in a really small city where trans people don't exist for the cis population). It's been a rocky road since I came out but I feel so much better about myself now than I did last year thinking about transitioning.

Mostly what I said about being uncomfortable. I am at the very beginning of my transition, but I know that everything will be so worth it once I get on hormones and I feel better about my voice and body. It's definitely a work in progress but it's going to be me.

I have an open mind about myself. I didn't really struggle with acceptance. I accepted that I was probably trans when I realized it, but I didn't need to accept myself because I was already there. What I needed to do was accept the difficulties of transitioning and take that on. That was the hard part.

As for kids and moving, I don't want kids but I could freeze my eggs if I wanted to. I'm open to adopting in the future if I do want kids. I don't have desire to create my own biological kids. And moving, I live in Ontario, Canada, in a >-bleeped-<ty Northern city. I will move eventually but I'm half way through my bachelor degree so it's not worth transferring. When I'm done I'll probably pick a master's program relatively close to one of the major cities that does trans related health and surgeries, like Toronto or Montreal. I haven't decided what I want to do yet though.

Just know that it's a process. Everything will take time or energy. Having a good support system is key to keeping you sane on the bad days. If you can, bring it up to a close friend and see what they have to say about it. You may have to educate people as you go, so instead of trying to tell everything to everyone about every single thing there is to being trans, find some really good resources that explain the basics. I gave my family a packet from Rainbow Health Ontario to read after coming out, and that saved me from having to explain what trans means and all the definitions like ftm or stp or binder. It helps people to have something to refer back to instead of having to ask you simple questions. Definitely be prepared for harder ones though. My dad asked me, out in public too, about phalloplasty and I was like uuhhhhhhhhh I don't really think this is something we need to be discussing. People mean well but you have to know where your boundaries are so that they know where you will put your foot down.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck :) remember that we can all be part of your support system if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-aves
Sept 2017- First doctor's appointment; came out socially
Oct 2017- Came out to my extended family
Feb 2018- Endocrinologist appointment; let's hope this also means T!

English/Sociology student
  •  

Kylo

A few questions:

Had to let a few people know, but it's not info I gave to everyone. Partner had to know - no hiding that one, all the rest apart from the medical professionals was a choice.... since I'm self-employed so I don't have workmates to come out to, and I don't see my family for years and years at a time etc. I could have probably come out to minimal people, but I was curious what some of them would make of it, so I told a few select friends and family members. Pure interest, I wasn't bothered if they cared or not since I'm completely independent of them and they live hundreds of miles away.

Nah, I didn't struggle with whether to transition. Once I got all the info that helped crystallize my understanding of "the issue" and found out transition was an affordable possibility in the UK, I already knew I was going to do it.

Aside from dysphoria and how it interferes with my life, I'm adventurous. I want to know if my life could be better and if I could free myself from the chains of the condition. I already know how life is going to be and end if I kept going down the same path and changing nothing. And I know it's going to bother me on my deathbed if I don't find out whether the other path was better. I don't feel like it could be worse. A year into transition and I feel 200% better already so I was right.

Self acceptance? There wasn't anything I didn't accept. I don't care if I have this problem, or what other people think of people like me. There's no guilt because all of this stuff is just as I found it, I can't help that I suffer because of it and don't want to suffer any longer. It's only natural to want to cure a malaise, as malaises go it's pretty life threatening or life-dampening. Soon as I had all the info I was like "ok, so that's what's up. How do I fix it."

I was in a het relationship too but I'm happier with the arrangement now.

I live in a rural area too. I can get most everything I need here, except for the surgery which will require a trip to the next county (50 or so miles) a few times, and occasional trips to the GIC in another county. It's a pain but there's less competition for resources in a rural area too which is a silver lining - the most local GIC wait times were less.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

TransAm

- I never experienced that anxiety or fear of coming out like a lot of others, but I wanted to make sure everything was lined up for me to start actively transitioning prior to doing so which delayed things a bit. Once certain that moving forward was definitely happening within six months, I came out to everyone possible.
I started at work where I informed the supervisor of my intentions and then stood up at the staff meeting and made the announcement. After that, I wrote various letters and made phone calls to relatives (I live 1200 miles from 99% of them) and then made face-to-face announcements to close friends before changing all the stuff on social media. Those closest to me knew before that six month period but also knew I needed additional time.

- No. I'm an extremely binary guy who's remain steadfastly secure in that identity. The chunk of my life I wasted being read as female, no matter how many other good things happened to me during, will forever remain the worst period of my existence.

- The concrete slurry of suicidal ideations had nearly set.

- Though I never accepted how others perceived me, I've always accepted myself. Hopefully that makes sense.

I know a lot of guys don't like reading accounts similar to mine but I always assume someone is looking for a number of different experiences if they're publically polling.

As far as moving to a different state, I did so (but long before transitioning). At eighteen, I took my car and a week's worth of clothes and drove from southern WV to MN. Apart from being incredibly liberating, it was easily in the top 3 best things I've ever done for myself.
The beautiful thing about MN is that you can experience truly rural living and still only be 20-30 minutes from any number of trans-friendly clinics/endos/therapists. This is a beautiful state--mountains, major cities, farmlands, lakes--and it has something for everyone.
"I demolish my bridges behind me - then there is no choice but forward." - Fridtjof Nansen
  •  

WolfNightV4X1

I did move to a different state to transition, fyi. It wouldnt have mattered if I stayed though, I had pretty cool, accepting friends and the change process would have taken time regardless of how far I moved. I moved because living with my parents was stressful at the time

Dont know, online I have a persona and I experimented with it for a long period of time as a male gender. Eventually I made the male gender default, my online friends supported it a lot, but they seemed to take it as if it was ME transitioning, lol. It did feel that way

. Pondering it longer, I was at work once and I mentally used a common expression referring to myself as a man, I paused figuring I should take it back, but then a second later thought "Why should I?". I mean, I got a sense of lightbulb feeling from the phrase, the kids these days would call it "euphoria". I'd been shifting myself to male since.

Coming out to family officially took longer. I never did. They sort of found out through my online activity and crossdressing, it was stressful but I never accepted myself back then and I kept quiet. I came out well into my transition trying to write letters to family. Fat lot of good that did, I should have not bothered, I just thought maybe they had a right to know, but eh, it's done now.

I never had a pre-T phase where I came out to family and coworkers. I just transitioned and people referred to me as male.

Yes, mainly the "sin guilt" aspect of it, that somehow being what I am and being comfortable in myself is changing where I shouldnt be. I went on and off in parroting the things against myself I learned in my head. It was really hard. In the end though I had to think about how deep down and from everything else I've learned, the this I've been told had to be wrong in some way, so I moved past that. It's hard and I still feel stings of guilt which I resolve by accepting that no matter what, I'm still me.

Other than that I dont think I have any strong doubts that I'm not a guy, It's kind of confusing sometimes looking back if I needed to transition or if I couldve just taken a step back and been a masculine female for awhile, but that doesnt "feel" right, I have no regrets being a guy.

-Where I lived and called planned parenthood, they said something about a "wait list". This was really frustrating and I was worried I would never transition. So when they finally got me the appointment I was all about "Do it now, ask questions later!".  I feel like if I waited, I would never have the opportunity. But before that it was this really intense drive, that I cant really describe, it's like an intense need to do this next to be able to continue with my life. The Pre-T phases of discovery, dressing, etc. kind of bled into what became my transition, so it's hard to find a set point of why I finally transitioned.

No matter how much I keep looking back, I cant find any way that this path wasnt inevitable, I didnt make this up. I struggled my entire life with this. Trying to suppress it longer would have been difficult, and it was. I think there's something wrong with cultural beliefs if it suppresses someone from something which they cant control, with something that is really them and that cant be changed.  I feel more comfortable, and Im not apathetic or indifferent to myself anymore. The difference is real for me, and if people dont want to see it I'm not going to bother changing them anymore, I'm fine where Im at.

•  

PurpleWolf

Hi there  :)!

I see you've gotten many great responses but decided to chime in!

A few questions:

Well, I realized I was trans coz my new school thought I was a boy without me knowing, at 13. That was my secret fantasy that came true. So that might not help you that much  ;)!
But I haven't been able to transition medically after that... Life's been a struggle. I now finally reached a point of not being able to take this anymore - and am trying desperately to find a way to finally transition!

Absolutely, yes! As weird as it sounds... that's why I'm here! I have gotten so used to this pseudo existence of mine that I became unsure if I even want to go on T etc.

Can't really answer that. My life's been living hell coz I have so bad social dysphoria that don't like seeing people... can't cope with my birth name etc.

Ha! Great question! Coz until just recently, this was my main issue!
Simple anwer: By signing here on this forum & talking to other guys. Noticing I'm not that weird, or 'untrans' as I expected to be! Really this site & reading through the anwers in all my threads have taken me there!

Actually, I think this might be a great read for you:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231125.0.html
I recommend you read the whole thread! I gave some great answers there.

In addition, a counselor gave me these great tips:
1. Do 4 lists:
- good things/outcomes for starting T
- bad things for starting T
- good things for not starting T
- bad things for not starting T
You can change that to 'things for transitioning' for example  :)!

2. Think of your life some 10, 20, 30 or 40 years down the line and think what would you be like/look like had you transitioned or not? What would the future self say to your present self? etc.

I think these were some great tips,  :)!

If you are concerned about going on T, my first thread might help:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,230592.0.html
I got many great answers!

And then there's this book which helped me tremendously with my doubts etc. :

You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery
by Dara Hoffman-Fox
https://www.amazon.com/You-Your-Gender-Identity-Discovery-ebook/dp/B01N80JO4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513283059&sr=8-1&keywords=dara+hoffman-fox

It only contains exercises to contemplate your gender with (it's not a read). It really helps you sort your thoughts about gender expression, your childhood, your feminine/masculine energy etc. This might be of tremendous help to you!

It's really, really good!!! 100% recommend. It's amazing. It's like gender therapy in a book.
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Kylo

If I'm honest, I don't understand why people struggle with self-acceptance for being trans. Not being normal was obvious from day one with me with my parents. They worried I might be sick, I was too quiet for a baby, definitely not like the other kids etc. and growing up my parents actually used to tell me I was unusual all the time. It's never been an issue for me not to be "like everyone else". So if you have trouble accepting yourself, you can condition yourself to accept yourself by saying yeah, you're not "normal", but there's nothing wrong with that. The more people you meet and get to know in life will also convince you "normality" (as we imagine it, because it's really an illusion) is the rare thing, not being weird or different. And 100% happy self-accepting people are the anomaly too. The more people I know the more I realize everyone has demons under the surface. Everyone.

As for sin, what is sin, anyway? If I had to answer I'd say real sin was knowingly committing evil against someone else for the pure pleasure of their misery. Sadism. Cruelty. And maybe wastefulness, when there is a shortage of something. Not having an issue with your body and asking for it to be altered so you feel better. That would probably put cancer patients and plastic surgery customers in some kind of sin bucket too, for asking for their bodies to be changed. That makes no sense to me. We alter our bodies all the time - whether it's getting tattoos, piercings, using make up, bodybuilding, getting your teeth whitened... whatever. If it's the idea of "denying the truth" to yourself - like if you believe you're living a lie, then don't live a lie. Acknowledge to yourself that you were born female, and so what. You were and now you're gonna live some way that makes you feel less tormented. I acknowledge being born female, but I also acknowledge there's something wrong with that, something wrong in my head or in my body or else I wouldn't literally feel like there was something holding me back from embracing female stuff. I know there is because I don't covet being a man, I don't desire it like it's some sort of thing I'm wishing for from a female perspective thinking it'll make me happier. I know it won't make me happier. But already the hormones have let me relax for the first time in my life. The stuff that's happening to the body because of them feels comfortable for the first time in my life. And it's nothing to do with what I want, it's what I feel by instinct. If that's denying the truth then I'm gonna keep on denying it. Because continuing on as before was just making me go slowly nuts with rage and resentment and isolation and denial of potential. I don't see why anyone who believed would think that's what god wants for them. I wouldn't. I wouldn't love a god that expected me to suffer the way I have. I'd end up hating that god.

That's just my perspective on the reasoning side. If a regular man can take T for health reasons prescribed by a doctor and not be committing some lie or sin, then so can I. If a regular person can get surgery to get tumors or warts or whatever else removed because it helps them fit in with society better and helps their mental state and not have them seen as a sinner then so can I. Those people probably won't have to justify their motivations. I won't either.

It's easier for me having been raised among atheists. But I have Catholic relatives too who would hate what I'm doing and not understand it at all. To that I say this life belongs to me, not to them. Their potential suffering at watching me do it is a drop in the bucket to my suffering of living with it every minute of every day. If there's a hell, I'm already in it. Or was born in it. Why should I be afraid of anything now?

It's all in how you reason it out in your head. The door into feeling guilt exists and the door out of feeling it also exists. You just have to walk through. 

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

PurpleWolf

Viktor, you are just awesome!!!

Quote from: Viktor on December 16, 2017, 09:01:59 PM
And it's nothing to do with what I want, it's what I feel by instinct. If that's denying the truth then I'm gonna keep on denying it. Because continuing on as before was just making me go slowly nuts with rage and resentment and isolation and denial of potential.  If there's a hell, I'm already in it. Or was born in it. Why should I be afraid of anything now?
Omg this is exactly where I'm at. Hit home so hard...!!!

For some weird reason I almost gave up on being trans/me. Sounds weird when I put it that way - but this is why I'm on this forum. I wanted to transition so bad back then - then couldn't coz I was denied access & felt it destroyed my life basically. I felt there's nothing I could do. So I just became an emotional zombie basically & concentrated on survival. I've been just surviving for so long instead of living that....!!! Omg! I'm now perplexed as to how did that happen? But there are lots of reasons...

I feel so strongly I'm a man - like you said, instinctively. But since I was unable to transition when I wanted, I sort of disassociated myself from my body? I felt this huge resentment when I saw other guys on T... etc. I felt something like 'that wasn't just meant to happen to me, then' or something like that. (I've always planned to transition when I get enough money etc. - circumstances I won't go into here.) It felt so bad that I basically gave up. I couldn't deal with the fact that I wasn't able to transition - so I just became an emotional zombie, I guess. So I did nothing. And kept on living this agonizing life & existence. And now I'm here!

Thanks to you guys, I pretty much cleared my head. And day by day I'm waiting more on more to finally get on T etc.

I never stopped identifying as a guy. But I completely socially isolated myself coz couldn't deal with people seeing me as a w*man. Until I started feeling I only exist as myself inside my head, basically.

Btw this isn't aimed at anyone - it just resonated with me so much of what you said.

I never was embarrassed of who I am or what I am. I was embarrassed because I knew I was a man - but looked like this. I almost felt like I don't need/want T coz I'm already a guy.

I god damn wanted to transition back then! But then gave up for ever being able to in the near future. Which became years. Now I feel like I wasted a chunk of my life. Unpleasant feeling. But it happened for many reasons - and I understand why it happened. It still annoys me though that I didn't.

But now I'm here, luckily. I'm finally at a point that I can't take this anymore! And will do my absolute everything to change it!

With your advice here I can see that I don't have to suffer like this.

In my case it's interesting that I socially transitioned at 13 - and have always known what I am - but still had this 'should I transition medically' thing! I don't know what I was thinking... Maybe I just became plain crazy & lost myself & my direction for a while. Okay, for a looong while. And constant agony became my normal existence.

If being a (cis) guy with moobs can be a social suicide, this is worse. So why would I think that my life would get any worse than this after transitioning? I don't know!

So, though I did socially transition & been living as male since, of course to the outside world haven't looked like one exactly. And that has been jarring, man. So I just accepted that existence as my natural fate for now.

I felt like I could never be one of those YouTube guys, you know. Coz I look like THIS!!! And coz I look like this, I felt that I can't say it aloud to other people that I'm a man - coz that would be plain ridiculous. So, I've been like... I can't bear socilizing if I'm treated as a woman - and to state I'm a man they must think I'm crazy. Something like that. So, I'm in such a deep >-bleeped-<, so how could my life become worse than it already is with T?!

Do I sound like a nutjob,  ;)?!

Omg this forum has been good to me! It reminded me of the immense joy I can experience when I am recognized & actually treated as myself. It reminded me that I could change this miserable existence to continuous joy & happiness  :D! Why not take it?

I've been suffering at my own will to prove a point. Yeah, I'm such a feisty chihuahua,  ;)!

It's all in how you reason it out in your head. The door into feeling guilt exists and the door out of feeling it also exists. You just have to walk through. 
Damn you are good!

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

meatwagon

i was meaning to answer the questions individually, but i kind of just lumped them into one wall of text, sorry~

well my first "coming out" was to my cousin when i was about 14, because i felt the need to tell someone i could trust about these strange feelings i had, but neither of us knew anything about that stuff at the time to take a serious approach to it, and it wasn't spoken of again.  a few years down the road, i told my boyfriend at the time that i didn't fully identify as a girl.  i took myself more seriously by then, but he definitely didn't.  a few more years later, we were married and i realized i just couldn't stand being somebody's wife any more, being called "ma'am" or "miss" everywhere i went, etc.  i had even checked "spouse" instead of "wife" on the marriage document, only to internally cringe when the person marrying us said "wife", "woman", etc all throughout.  i remember wondering what the point was of having those options on paper if they were just going to be ignored.  and i only continued to feel worse from there.  then there were some medical issues that caused me to have problems with my weight, and that in turn messed up my hormones.  for about a year, i quit having periods and grew more hair, along with a few other small changes.  and then the medication issue got sorted, the weight issue dropped, and i cried the first time my period came back.  and that was when i decided i would have to transition, and talk to my spouse about it for the millionth time and make sure he understood i really meant it.  then came telling my best friend, the letter to my dad, then coming out to my mom's side of the family during one of my visits, and a huge wave of misery that would lead to regret.  not about making the decision to transition, but about coming out before i had any resources lined up (it was years before i was finally able to find a doctor and start T, and things were just ridiculously awkward for me in the meantime) and also about waiting so long to do anything.  if i had started before the breakup, if i had found doctors before being forced to move back in with my unsupportive family, if i had "come out" to more than just my cousin all those years ago, if i had accepted myself instead of trying to deny it and look for evidence that it was something else, etc etc etc
what finally convinced me that i was right was science, seeing research and evidence that this was a physical problem, not a mental one.  having time away from my family during the period when i was married also helped, as it allowed me the space and freedom to think for myself and realize how many of my problems came from how i'd been treated all my life, and which things were real vs things that my family made up/made me believe about myself.  i worked through a lot of my self doubt just by being able to get away from that environment, being old enough to mature in my reasoning, and doing a lot of research on the things that were affecting me.  i didn't have support, but i was able to find facts, and that was a lot more meaningful and validating to me than words from clueless friends and well-meaning strangers could ever have been.  "you're not crazy, this is a real medical thing, and it's not a symptom of some other disorder because you don't even have that disorder." 
i don't know if self-acceptance is the right word for what i have now, so much as self-assurance.  it has taken me years of battling with a whole army of demons, but i finally know who i am and what i need, and even so i still have a lot of things left to figure out, being on the right path makes "getting there", however long it takes, that much easier.
  •  

Oblivion

I couldn't deal with hearing the wrong name and pronouns anymore, it was making me not want to leave the house and I started getting really low. So I basically left it until I couldn't bear not to transition and staying as I was was more painful than going through transitioning.

I did sort of, I questioned for 2 years before coming out and I was pretty unsure of my identity. When it clicked that I was transgender I always knew I needed to transition though. I realised the hatred I felt for myself throughout my childhood was gender dysphoria and I didn't want to live it I had to live life as a girl. No question about it.

Honestly I wouldn't transition if I didn't have dysphoria. What would be the point? Why spend all this money and energy and he an outcast and put my life on hold if I could help it? I certainly wouldn't. Dysphoria is what drives transition and the need for others to see you/treat you the way you see yourself.

I think I 100% accepted myself a few months after I came out publically. Maybe summer 2016, people using the right pronouns and name, me feeling happy with the way I was presenting myself and finally starting to like my body after 8-10 years and intensely hating it for seemingly no reason. Everything kind of came together and I realised with certainty that this was the right path for me.
  •  

Pao

Thank you all for the heartfelt replies. It is all helping me crystallize how I feel.

Just a little history about myself:

I don't have the typical story. I don't have memories of telling my parents I was a boy. I played with all kids of toys. I had both boy and girl best friends. there were little things... I was always a tomboy. I hated dresses and girly stuff. I remember telling a friend how envious I was of how all the cool stuff was made for boys.

At 14 I had my first real body dysphoria. I worry though because it came after sexual trama. But I don't think it is connected.

I had been told I had a male spirit by a tarot reader, when I was in my teens and, it felt so right. But I believed in reincarnation, and figured this life I was supposed to be a girl.

At 19 I met my first transman. I had a long talk with my girlfriend at the time, and she introduced me to the concept of bi-gendered. Suddenly a light bulb went off. I identified as this for many years.

However, the more I allowed the male side out, the more he wanted.

I feared he was Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Then a couple years ago I realized that "girl me" wasn't happy. That "girl me" wouldn't mind being thought of as male. That "girl me" was just me without immediate dysphoria.

I realized I am really transmasculine or more probably FTM.

I went on hormones for 3 months.

I miss them, but I was so anxious about being found out. I wasn't ready to tell my family or my work.

And here I am stuck. The dysphoria is getting worse. I just spent a month and a half in a mental health program.

Yet I still can't imagine losing my nieces and nephew if my brother and sister-in-law don't accept me. I still desperately want my family's approval. And I am quaking in my boots thinking of openly transitioning at my work.

I wish desperately I had the courage you guys have.
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Pao on December 18, 2017, 02:57:42 PM
And here I am stuck. The dysphoria is getting worse. I just spent a month and a half in a mental health program.

Then if you continue on putting others before yourself you'll end up ill. Maybe worse. Transition is usually about survival, not some fun thing we do for kicks like some of the cis believe.

QuoteYet I still can't imagine losing my nieces and nephew if my brother and sister-in-law don't accept me. I still desperately want my family's approval. And I am quaking in my boots thinking of openly transitioning at my work.

Maybe you won't. It might be that you worried for nothing.

But let's say that you're right and you'll lose them. I never expected my mother to laugh at me and call me an attention seeker after years of pretending to be accepting of all races and sexuality. But it ain't that bad. We agree to disagree, I have my life, she has hers. As long as you're not at any direct physical risk from people, there's a chance things will improve with time and it might not be such a bad thing to just get it out in the open. Then you can move on to the next stage instead of staying frozen in hiding. Whatever the next stage is, at least you can move forward in it. The thing is, if people show you their truly nasty side when you come out - it can be easier than you think to deal with because they make themselves thoroughly unlikeable. The image you had in your mind of them being nice people or even flawless people worthy of your sacrifice is shattered.

But like I said they could be cool with it. They might be weirded out at first but come around to it. I have family members who are basically ok with it now, even if they don't get it at all and think it's bizarro world to change gender. But at first they were completely thrown for a loop. If you were a tomboy as a kid who played with all sorts of things they might look into that and find it a positive reinforcement of the idea. I was totally weird as a kid and everyone could see it - if I'd been into Barbie and pink dresses and glitter I think they'd have had a harder time accepting my "difference". You have some of that boyish evidence going for you at least.   

QuoteI wish desperately I had the courage you guys have.

Nobody likes coming out, I don't know anyone who was looking forward to it. You have to move on with life and fly the nest at some point though so to speak and go your own way.

If the worst comes to it you still have your own life. You can always try for another job after transition and leave that behind if it was not a good environment. Not going to sugar coat the potential for it to be really uncomfortable if others want to make it that way, but remember the option is always there to walk away and start over.

•  

PurpleWolf

Great we've been able to help ya  ;)!

I don't have the typical story. I don't have memories of telling my parents I was a boy. I played with all kids of toys. I had both boy and girl best friends. there were little things... I was always a tomboy. I hated dresses and girly stuff. I remember telling a friend how envious I was of how all the cool stuff was made for boys.
If you are telling this as to say you didn't feel you were 'trans' as a kid, let me tell you this,  ;):
There isn't such a thing as a typical story! Actually I was seriously repressed as a child & couldn't express my so-called boy side at all. And still I'm here,  ;). Your inner sense of self is the thing what matters the most - not what you've done or not done some decades ago, for example!

At 14 I had my first real body dysphoria. I worry though because it came after sexual trama. But I don't think it is connected.
Just to ease your mind on this one: usually gender identity and feelings about that have nothing to do with sexual trauma.
This is worth a read:
https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/topic/64730-can-sexual-abuse-change-your-gender-identity/
Especially scroll down to what JJ Knight said!

I know because I've struggled with this also. It is not an uncommon experience - especially since LGBT+ people are more prone to being abused, unfortunately.

More than likely you experienced body dysphoria because of puberty & your body changing - not because of any sexual trauma  :).

You are not that stuck  ;)! You went on T god dammit! I've been stuck for so many years I don't wanna say that aloud coz it sounds so bad even to me. I think you are not stuck at all - you are actually progressing since you are here looking for help,  ;)! Maybe your dysphoria getting worse means you are now ready to take the next step? And come to a point in your life where you can't take it anymore?

Yet I still can't imagine losing my nieces and nephew if my brother and sister-in-law don't accept me. I still desperately want my family's approval. And I am quaking in my boots thinking of openly transitioning at my work.
Maybe these threads will help (please go read them!):
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231654.0.html
What was the thing that held you back the most?

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231826.0.html
The happiness/peace you felt after transition?

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231820.0.html
The strength you gained through all of this? 

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,231252.0.html
Words of encouragement to your pre-transition self

Did you read that fluctuations in gender thread?
I again recommend you go get that book,  :)! It will be the perfect fit for you - as it helps with these types of things & doubts exactly.

I wish desperately I had the courage you guys have.
You already do since you are here,  :)!
Just a month ago I was here scraping for help.

I recommend also you go through my threads in the transsexual section(s). They have been a tremendous help for me as I've been able to compare my experiences with others. And feel free to participate yourself! You'll see that everyone's life story is just different. That will make you feel less alien & an 'outsider'. You can do it as well as anyone here! I'm sure of it!

•  

WolfNightV4X1

As for sin, what is sin, anyway? If I had to answer I'd say real sin was knowingly committing evil against someone else for the pure pleasure of their misery. Sadism. Cruelty. And maybe wastefulness, when there is a shortage of something. Not having an issue with your body and asking for it to be altered so you feel better. That would probably put cancer patients and plastic surgery customers in some kind of sin bucket too, for asking for their bodies to be changed. That makes no sense to me. We alter our bodies all the time - whether it's getting tattoos, piercings, using make up, bodybuilding, getting your teeth whitened... whatever. If it's the idea of "denying the truth" to yourself - like if you believe you're living a lie, then don't live a lie. Acknowledge to yourself that you were born female, and so what. You were and now you're gonna live some way that makes you feel less tormented. I acknowledge being born female, but I also acknowledge there's something wrong with that, something wrong in my head or in my body or else I wouldn't literally feel like there was something holding me back from embracing female stuff. I know there is because I don't covet being a man, I don't desire it like it's some sort of thing I'm wishing for from a female perspective thinking it'll make me happier. I know it won't make me happier. But already the hormones have let me relax for the first time in my life. The stuff that's happening to the body because of them feels comfortable for the first time in my life. And it's nothing to do with what I want, it's what I feel by instinct. If that's denying the truth then I'm gonna keep on denying it. Because continuing on as before was just making me go slowly nuts with rage and resentment and isolation and denial of potential. I don't see why anyone who believed would think that's what god wants for them. I wouldn't. I wouldn't love a god that expected me to suffer the way I have. I'd end up hating that god.

That's just my perspective on the reasoning side. If a regular man can take T for health reasons prescribed by a doctor and not be committing some lie or sin, then so can I. If a regular person can get surgery to get tumors or warts or whatever else removed because it helps them fit in with society better and helps their mental state and not have them seen as a sinner then so can I. Those people probably won't have to justify their motivations. I won't either.

It's easier for me having been raised among atheists. But I have Catholic relatives too who would hate what I'm doing and not understand it at all. To that I say this life belongs to me, not to them. Their potential suffering at watching me do it is a drop in the bucket to my suffering of living with it every minute of every day. If there's a hell, I'm already in it. Or was born in it. Why should I be afraid of anything now?

This part was inevitably directed at some comments I made and I appreciate your input. I myself always wondered why nobody batted an eyelash at cis women who got breast reduction because it made them uncomfortable or enlargement because they want to look sexy, but when I do it it's "cutting off my natural body"...when people are altering their body all the time.

I've had to go back and foth between logic and sin constantly, it isnt easy. Like you said you were raised by atheists, I was raised by baptists and trust me I have heard it ALL, every argument they have against it, there was little escape for me.

QuoteIt's all in how you reason it out in your head. The door into feeling guilt exists and the door out of feeling it also exists. You just have to walk through. 

Wise words from a good man, I appreciate that line!

I've definitely had to run a lot of things through my head over and over again, and Im better than I used to be.I found ways to understand myself and reach self acceptance

•  

WolfNightV4X1

Regarding part of the comment I made on the self doubt aspect, I always run through my head not understanding why I feel so sure Im a guy, I just am. Yet I just dont understand why I had to go through with all this, that maybe I could have lived more as a masculine female before I did this.

I mean I certainly was in my childhood, I just never got the chance to express it because I was forbidden to wear what I liked or play with what I wanted. I was forced to live as a girl, and I couldnt form thoughts in what I really wanted until I got older.

I never thought I was a boy as a kid, though. I constantly tried to look for cool female role models that emulated the cool male ones I enjoyed, I tried being the "tomboy" girl a lot, I never once intended to be a guy. So why am I now?

Lately it just dawned on me, if I knew much earlier that there were girls who felt like boys and WERE boys, like I learned at 18-19, I would have been curious about being that way because it perfectly described me back then like it did at 18. I wouldnt have just been a girl...I WOULD have been a boy. I dont have doubts because there's really just not much room for doubt

•  

Kylo

Quote from: WolfNightV4X1 on December 20, 2017, 01:26:03 AM
Regarding part of the comment I made on the self doubt aspect, I always run through my head not understanding why I feel so sure Im a guy, I just am. Yet I just dont understand why I had to go through with all this, that maybe I could have lived more as a masculine female before I did this.

It makes sense from all the science we have on trans conditions so far. Personally I don't think science has to be at odds with religion, but I know some people have trouble with that idea. Anyway, it always makes sense to me if you just think about it from a cis perspective - would a cis man be cool with developing female anatomy? or a cis woman with male? probably not. Why couldn't they just live with it, like we're expected to, since stuff like gynaecomastia is actually a "natural"-occuring condition? Maybe some of them could but I guarantee most of them would be as dysphoric as we are and would want that stuff dealt with. Stuff like that is almost like a partial trans condition and it really screws with people's heads and self-esteem. We're no different. We have a body/brain condition that puts us in an abnormal place mentally.

I know some people can manage that condition and continue to live without doing anything about it. I could have if I absolutely had to but honestly - I think that would have been like making a sick person go without any sort of medications for life.

QuoteI never thought I was a boy as a kid, though. I constantly tried to look for cool female role models that emulated the cool male ones I enjoyed, I tried being the "tomboy" girl a lot, I never once intended to be a guy. So why am I now?

Well you're the same as me, then. Although I could never relate to most of the female role models very well, I never thought "I AM a boy." That didn't even enter into my head until many years later. What I did know was that making me do girl stuff made me feel weird and ashamed. If people accidentally thought I was a boy at any point I suddenly kind of perked up. This happened before I had time to formulate any potential self-delusions, when I was a little kid, and little kids just are what they are. But even if you didn't have that, don't forget that your brain and personality isn't even full developed as a child. You're literally only about a half of who you'll be once puberty hits and changes how you think and rewires your brain. There's a lot about me that didn't exist in child me before then. I never aspired to be a boy either. It felt nice to be mistaken for one, but I didn't go out of my way to do it, so why do I now? Well... I don't. I take hormones because they help me a lot with coping and with the sort of changes that feel better and I hope to get a couple of minor body alterations in the near future, but I haven't changed myself other than my name. Other people have changed how they see me, not me really. I'm still just me, my consciousness doesn't have a gender I don't think. Man stuff feels more right so I gravitate toward it but I'm not going to deny my own origins to myself. I mean if you feel the way you do and you're definitely not just jealous of males or trying to be a man for some other reason, than that is the undeniable truth. It just is, it's what you need, for some reason. Maybe the reason doesn't matter any more than the reason we need air. We're still gonna need it.

QuoteLately it just dawned on me, if I knew much earlier that there were girls who felt like boys and WERE boys, like I learned at 18-19, I would have been curious about being that way because it perfectly described me back then like it did at 18. I wouldnt have just been a girl...I WOULD have been a boy. I dont have doubts because there's really just not much room for doubt

This is my argument for the case toward at least mentioning the trans issue in schools around the time kids are old enough for sex ed. If I'd had that information too, I'd have known instantly that was my issue, I was practically on the cusp of figuring it out but lacked the one thing necessary - some other people with evidence that proves it's not just in MY head, but a phenomenon in the world. Instead because nobody ever mentioned it, it remained some nebulous doubt in my mind that it was some other problem, vanity or whatever. And it got suppressed because of that and just slept under the surface for a few years, but it never went away. If trans stuff really is some kind of delusion, believe me, I ought to be expert enough by now in deluding myself out of it and out of just about anything that bothers me, but I can't fix that one. That one is like PTSD or something, lodged in the brain, coming out whenever something triggers it, which is pretty much every time I'm reminded of what a woman's body looks like. There are so many people with the exact same classic symptoms as well... who all seem to be like "yeah, this trans thing sucks, I just want to be normal and not be bothered with this crap."

I can understand some people get into a situation where they've been exposed to trans people and think ...maybe I'm like them? When they're actually not. And I think the devil is in the severity, not the details, here. If someone asks if they're really trans I would say you have to sit down with yourself and do some serious self-searching, or soul-searching, or whatever. That's what I had to do, anyway. Was just a case of weighing up the

Truth of any suffering in the past (don't lie to yourself)
Reasons behind that suffering (don't lie to yourself)
Suffering in the present and the reasons behind that (take everything out of the equation but what you honestly feel in the moment)
Potential for suffering in the future... is there any chance this is gonna stop, based on your life so far etc.

And it's a cumulative answer, suffering past plus present plus probability of future suffering... but it has to be based on total absolute honesty about what you know about yourself. For me that's tough because I buried the past real hard. I barely remember some of the things. But I know what has always freaked me out, at least, and that's always been the idea of stepping into a woman's role. I literally seem to behave about it the way any cis schoolboy would if he was told he had to roleplay as a girl in school in front of everyone for an entire year, dressing like one and being called one. Mortifying. I would check the hell out and be completely dejected for that entire year, if I didn't run away first. And that's characterized my life until this point. Complete demotivation to exist.

That and the fact I never wanted to even look at or touch what's between the legs, or on the chest, much less go out and share it with people.

Maybe that was easy for me because of the severity of it, but most of us have some sort of experience like this that adds up when you think about it. 
  •  

PurpleWolf

•