Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cassandra's Tale - The Making of a Brave New Girl

Started by SassyCassie, January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Donica on February 19, 2019, 12:11:39 PM
I'm sorry Stephanie but if it was Haagen-Dazs chocolate chocolate chip ice cream, I would not have shared either. No intention of being unfriendly at all girl. It's just that good ;D

Understandable if harsh, Donica. It wasn't Hagen-Days, but I actually picked it out, took it out of the freezer in the store, and lovingly placed it in the cart. It's hard to say goodbye.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 19, 2019, 12:54:23 PM
Understandable if harsh, Donica. It wasn't Hagen-Days, but I actually picked it out, took it out of the freezer in the store, and lovingly placed it in the cart. It's hard to say goodbye.

Oh, don't be so melodramatic. Your half is still in the freezer and you can have it this weekend. I got myself some dark chocolate cake pops for the next time we have dessert together. I'm sure you wouldn't want any of those though.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: SassyCassie on February 21, 2019, 04:04:23 PM
Oh, don't be so melodramatic. Your half is still in the freezer and you can have it this weekend. I got myself some dark chocolate cake pops for the next time we have dessert together. I'm sure you wouldn't want any of those though.

Moi??? Melodramatic????!!! I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!!!

Dearie me, I have the vapors! I shall have to take a miltown and retire to the sanitarium. And have me some dark chocolate cake pops.

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Michelle_P on February 19, 2019, 12:22:48 PM
At the end of your labors this year, I hope you do find the opportunity to celebrate, honor yourself, and rejoice in finding your true self and living your life fully.   You have earned this.

At one time, a year seemed like such a long time away. Considering how it seems like only a few weeks have gone by since I was feeling overwhelmed by all that lay ahead. Now, we're already in the third week of February and I'm sure the year will go by pretty quickly with all the things that are in store.

I will definitely make the time to celebrate when it's all over. I don't think it will be as zen-like as yours. It may be a quiet, intimate evening with a few of my closest friends or it might be a huge blowout involving lots of loud music and adult beverages, to which friends, new and old, will be invited.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 21, 2019, 04:10:56 PM
Moi??? Melodramatic????!!! I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!!!

Dearie me, I have the vapors! I shall have to take a miltown and retire to the sanitarium. And have me some dark chocolate cake pops.

Bless your heart!  ;D
  •  

steph2.0

•  

Jessica_Rose

If I didn't know better I would think you two liked each other, but I know love when I see it!
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on February 22, 2019, 04:09:14 AM
If I didn't know better I would think you two liked each other, but I know love when I see it!

Yeah, all of this oddly familiar banter!  But, alas, without any honey badgers!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Michelle_P on February 22, 2019, 10:31:48 AM
Yeah, all of this oddly familiar banter!  But, alas, without any honey badgers!

I am the Honey Badger!
  •  

SassyCassie

Candle burning at both ends

Rough night last night.

Yesterday was a day of mostly frustration over how much there is to do and the list that just keeps getting longer - both at work and at home.

Things keep getting heaped upon my shoulders at very short notice with little time to prepare. I've been asked to give presentations on subject matter with which I'm familiar but I end up having to "wing it" and am not satisfied with the results.

People second-guess my assessment of a problem on something I work with almost daily yet they have never touched it. When I'm asked what the status is of one of the pending projects, I have a prepared mental list of what I have been doing, plus all of the other things that have been slotted into my schedule ahead of everything else...again and again and again.

Driving home last night, after making what amounts to a kamikaze run on Target, I had a chance to chat with my beau...but my phone was having none of that and I had to give it up before plowing into one of the billions of orange barrels which are spreading plague-like across the roadways in central Florida. I got home, and had to unload very heavy containers of cat-stuff, all the while trying to not trip over the writhing horde of hungry felines outside my door. In doing so, it feels like I pulled a shoulder muscle. This comes after I thought I had already learned what my new physical limits are. Yay.

One of the cats swiped at my hand while I was reaching for the food bowl. I reacted reflexively and swatted her with the back of my hand. Not very hard but I instantly regretted it and started crying. That was the last straw. Having been held back for the last few hours, the tears started to flow. I continued with the feeding process, uncaringly throwing can lids on the ground as I dished out the wet food.

Upon going inside, I just turned off the lights, got undressed, and crawled into bed. I'd had enough and was ready to not be conscious anymore.

Being much better rested this morning, I realize that a lot of the stress was due to a few things: lack of sleep and coming home to a house that needs cleaning but I can't seem to find the energy or the desire to get anything done. Maybe I'm also just tired of so many expectations. I need to take better care of myself in so many ways. The only way to take time for myself seems to be to make the time but then that puts me into a sleep deficit, thus starting the cycle anew.

Good things are coming though. I've got a date with FacialTeam in June so that will be a good two weeks away from work. It will be two weeks away from my fur babies too, unfortunately. I haven't been away from them that long in, probably more than a decade. It's going to be hard but at least I know someone who is reliable and can take care of them during that time. Still, I worry about them when I'm gone.

I debated whether or not to write all of this but as Stephanie puts it, I'm not going to just write about the good stuff and filter out everything bad. This is how life is. It's not all lollipops and rainbows and sometimes it gets to be too much.

I finished my coffee with a long sigh and got a plaintive meow from the cat snuggled up against my leg.

Time to start another day.
  •  

SassyCassie

Dude, where's my table?

Last Wednesday, I decided to go and have lunch a little late at one of my favorite restaurants just down the street from where I work. They were pretty busy at that time of day but they found me a table and sat me right away. I ordered a cup of soup and the salad bar, which is my usual there. After finishing my soup, I stood to walk over to the salad bar and another woman had just stepped up before me. It turned out that she was a "browser". You know the type.

Eventually, I got my salad put together and turned around to see...no empty tables in the room. Confused, I looked up and down the row of occupied tables, trying to remember where I was or if I was just losing my mind - a distinct possibility, mind you. Once oriented on what had been my table, I walked up and said to one of the ladies seated there, "Excuse me, is there a little purple wallet on the seat next to you?"

I had left it there, thinking that my trip to the salad bar would be quick and no one would disturb it. Thankfully, it was there and served as proof that I had been there prior to my quest for greens. When she handed it to me, the other woman said incredulously, "They gave away your table? Oh, I'm so sorry! We'll ask for another one." All I could do was smile and laugh at the absurdity of the situation which was quickly remedied by the staff.

This is by far one of the most bizarre things that has happened to me in a restaurant. I can't help but wonder if they would have even noticed if I had just put down my plate of salad and walked out. Thinking back, there have been a few weird occurrences in that particular establishment. I think it's time to take them off the list for a while.

A tense phone call from my director at work served to bludgeon the smile right off my face, however.
  •  

Donica

OH MY GOD!!! I can't believe they did that either. I have never had that happen but I usually dine in numbers. I hope the maître d gave you a free lunch?
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Donica on March 14, 2019, 05:57:53 PM
OH MY GOD!!! I can't believe they did that either. I have never had that happen but I usually dine in numbers. I hope the maître d gave you a free lunch?

I actually didn't stick around long enough to find out. I got a call from work about a serious issue we had and had to get out of there. I couldn't wait for my server to bring the check and process it and all that so I threw down a 20 on the table and ran back to work. Needless to say, I'll be putting that place on hiatus for a while.

The crisis at work ended up being something that was a potential RGE (Resume Generating Event) for me. I was under quite a bit of stress for almost a full week, fearing and preparing for the worst. So far, they haven't told me to stop showing up every morning so I hope my fears were unfounded.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Several years ago when I was still an angry male, my anger would occasionally escape at work and that caused more than one 'RGE'. I would go to work every day wondering if my access card would unlock the door, and if my password would still be valid. Those feelings lasted over a year. It was a very difficult period in my life. I hope everything works out well for you Cassie.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on March 25, 2019, 11:04:16 PMI hope everything works out well for you Cassie.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for the positive thoughts! It's been some time since I've been on here since that incident occurred. I just narrowly avoided termination though I had that hanging over me for almost a month before the final disposition was reached. Needless to say, it did no favors for my stress level. Instead, I've been put on a 90-day "performance improvement plan" with weekly meetings and an evaluation every 30 days.

The director and assistant director of my department (both of whom have known me from before) admitted to me that they'd be in trouble if I had been let go. I was already more-or-less aware of that fact but I don't really like it to be that evident.

This whole incident has caused me to re-evaluate some of the aspects of my life as it stands right now. That period of nail-biting angst during which I didn't know if, at the end of each work day, it might be my last. Even though that period of uncertainty is in the past, I remain fully aware that it would only take one more (possibly minor) slip-up to bring everything crashing down. During the second or third of those weekly meetings, I told the directors as much. They tried to reassure me that my job was no longer in danger but I know for a fact that the higher-ups wanted me gone. There would be no second chance and my "get out of jail free" card was all used up.

I told them that I do still feel like I have a sword hanging over my head and that, try as I might to ignore it, it still weighs upon my mind and distracts from the more important things in my life. I told them that I can't continue this way but would carry out my job duties to the best of my ability and make sure things are as up-to-date and running as smoothly as possible during the 90-day period.

"At the end of the 90 days, I intend to start looking for another job." I told them, barely holding back tears.

After working there for 16 years, the prospect of leaving almost drives me to tears but given recent events, so does the prospect of staying. There used to be something of a family atmosphere around there years ago but that's mostly gone now. Of course, the directors, having been friends with me for over a decade, seemed worried that I felt that way about them as well. I told them that it was not them but the organization as a whole. Thinking about it now though, that was a lie - well, maybe a half-truth. That particular friendship is like some of the others I've lamented about as I've gotten further along in my transition. Where there used to be periodic invitations to come by and visit after work or special occasions on the weekends, now there is nothing. It hurts...a little. I understand that they might miss "him" but there isn't much I can do about that.

For a while now, I've been willing to endure driving an hour each way to and from work because I genuinely enjoyed working there. All I can do now is regard each Sunday night as a prelude to "jumping back on the hamster wheel again". Running as fast as I can and getting nowhere, stretching out into infinity until I can no longer function in either mind, body or spirit.

I can't live like that anymore. I won't live like that anymore. This year promised to be a year of changes and thus far, it's threatening to not disappoint. I'm working on changing so many other things right now that I'm afraid I might hit some limit and it will all fall apart.

The shedding of facets of that past life has been going on for a while now. This is just one more, albeit one of the larger ones. Maybe this is just something else I need to let go of and make a fresh start. The prospect of starting somewhere new is certainly an appealing one if for no other reason than the fact that no one there will know anyone other than Cassandra. The occasional misgendering that happens still to this day will come to an abrupt end.

I just have to have the courage to choose a direction and take that first step.

Hugs to you and all my friends both near and far! This would be a lot more difficult without you!
  •  

SassyCassie

A bit of good news

I'd like to interrupt all of the doom and gloom in this thread to inject a small ray of sunshine.

Earlier this week, an amazing thing happened.

I went out to check the mail last week - about a weekly occurrence at this point because most of my correspondence is electronic these days. I shoved it all into a grocery bag and forgot about it over the weekend. Remembering that I had seen a letter from my doctor amid the metric tons of junk mail, I went digging and came up with something completely unexpected.

There was a letter from the Pennsylvania Department of Health. My breath caught for a moment as I laid it on the counter and stared at it. I took a picture of it, maybe to have as part of a happy memory or to just convince myself that it was real.

Could this possibly be...?

I hoped for the best but the worst tried sneaking into my consciousness with ideas of it being just a copy of the original or a letter detailing why they couldn't make the requested changes.

The best is what I got. Inside was the now-familiar form of a Pennsylvania birth certificate.

The record now states that in Delaware County on October 21, 1971 at 9:34pm, a baby girl named Cassandra was born.

I stood there staring at the words in stunned silence, still wondering if it was real. After regaining my senses, I took a picture of the form and sent it to Stephanie after priming her with the longest "Squee" in recorded history.

I let the paper sit on the counter for another three days, almost as though daring it to disappear as had so many of the progesterone-induced dreams of late. It was still there when Stephanie suggested that I put it some place safe so it didn't get splashed from the food-prep area.

Maybe part of my reaction was due to the change in intent behind filing for the corrections on the birth certificate. Many months ago when I sent off the paperwork to get the changes made, the primary reason was the eradication of any evidence that "he" ever existed. That is not as much of a...driving force behind me these days. It's more a side-effect of the organic changes going on in my life, both biologically and socially. It does represent the last piece of government paperwork carrying the old name. Though it could be viewed as fairly insignificant as compared to the other documents such as driver's license or passport, it is the document from which all others ultimately spring. It is the final proof that I am who I say I am, both inside and out.
  •  

steph2.0

I kind of lost track of how many times I stopped and stared in awe at that amazing piece of paper. For me, "he" never existed, so seeing the name on it was no surprise. But knowing what it means to you, and what a similar piece of paper will mean to me some day when I'm finally allowed to get it, was so profoundly moving. The tears flowed freely when you first sent me that picture, and I struggled to hold them back again as I gazed at that precious document before suggesting moving it somewhere safer than the kitchen counter.

I don't want to steal your thread, so I'll keep this short. For the first time in my life, I find myself more deeply moved by the joys and sorrows of others than for myself. I think this is what being a woman means, and it is glorious.

Stephanie

•  

Donica

WOOHOO SQUEEEEE WOWWEE and WOWZERS Cassandra!!! Congratulations girl. It is very much an affirming moment. This is truly a bright uplifting occasion indeed. Happy tears and all.

We know times change Cassie. The changes are for the better. I went through the same thing when I transitioned at work. It was a family environment and still is for the most part but still things have changed. I could continue there but why should I or my coworkers endure the uncomfortable tension in the air.

I know what ever you decide will be best for you. We don't fear change, otherwise we wouldn't transition. It's the ones that can't understand that fear change. You got this Cassie. I don't mean to babel on so much.

Oh, and sorry for all the copyright infringements. It's just how I felt when I first saw my new birth certificate.

Hugs Cassandra!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

That is indeed worth a major SQUEEEE!!!

I am hopeful I will one day have a similar piece of paper, but mine will require a bit of work since I was born in Texas. I am so very happy for you Cassie!

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Donica on May 09, 2019, 03:04:55 PM
WOOHOO SQUEEEEE WOWWEE and WOWZERS Cassandra!!! Congratulations girl. It is very much an affirming moment. This is truly a bright uplifting occasion indeed. Happy tears and all.
Oh, and sorry for all the copyright infringements. It's just how I felt when I first saw my new birth certificate.

I think a part of me still can't believe it's real. I filed it away with the rest of my vital transition-related documents - part of a road map of this new person I have created out of the contorted remnants of that previous life. I can't help but wonder if a part of my lesser-than-expected reaction is due to the stresses that have been weighing upon me lately. It feels like I've hardened up because of it all - the age-old defense mechanism that had facilitated my survival over the years. I know how it came about and I understand its purpose but it feels like it represents something of a return to the "before times" which disturbs me a bit.

Maybe it's that very hardening that enables the fierceness I've been seeking. Maybe the mere awareness of what's going on will be enough to keep from letting it take over. Still, it feels like it's handicapping me, socially.

No worries on any copyrights. Friends have the right to take anything I may say and make it their own! That is, unless it's something that would summon the nice young men in their clean white coats - in which case, you're on your own!

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on May 09, 2019, 08:11:09 PM
That is indeed worth a major SQUEEEE!!!

I am hopeful I will one day have a similar piece of paper, but mine will require a bit of work since I was born in Texas. I am so very happy for you Cassie!

Jessica, I just read up on the process for making birth certificate changes. I'm sorry it's such a convoluted process that has to involve judges. That was the very same fear I had when having to get my name changed here in a stereotypically "redneck" county in Florida. You'll get it done though. Look how far you've come!

Hugs to you both!!
  •