News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Old things youngins might like to know

Started by Laurie, January 11, 2018, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:09:08 PM
Please enlighten Julia as to what a sliderule is.  My experience was limited to hitting people with them :)_

I googled slide rule. But I still dont understand it. It's just a ruler, it has no electronic parts so how could it possibly calculate anything??
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 05:13:14 PM
I googled slide rule. But I still dont understand it. It's just a ruler, it has no electronic parts so how could it possibly calculate anything??

At its simplest, each number to be multiplied is represented by a length on a sliding ruler. As the rulers each have a logarithmic scale, it is possible to align them to read the sum of the logarithms, and hence calculate the product, of the two numbers.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

tgirlamg

In my schools... teachers were free to hit you with yardstick rulers and some carried custom made "swat paddles"... to beat sense into you!!!...These days kids would be on their cell phone to their lawyer!!!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: tgirlamc on January 11, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
In my schools... teachers were free to hit you with yardstick rulers and some carried custom made "swat paddles"... These days kids would be on their cell phone to their lawyer!!!

Corporal Punishment!!!!!

Got swatted in 8th grade PE.  Had an out of body experience :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

tgirlamg

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:25:01 PM
Corporal Punishment!!!!!

Got swatted in 8th grade PE.  Had an out of body experience :)

I was in a military school for 6th and 7th grade and they ran a tight ship!!!! 😀
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: tgirlamc on January 11, 2018, 05:27:39 PM
I was in a military school for 6th and 7th grade and they ran a tight ship!!!! 😀

Boy Scouts then the USMC
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Devlyn

At one point in my long and storied life, deposit bottles would have been on this list. But if you tell people nowadays that we just threw away all our bottles and cans, they look at you like you're dirty.  :laugh:
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: tgirlamc on January 11, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
In my schools... teachers were free to hit you with yardstick rulers and some carried custom made "swat paddles"... to beat sense into you!!!...These days kids would be on their cell phone to their lawyer!!!

Teachers could hit you?? That's crazy! It's totally illegal now.  When I was in fifth grade a teacher lost her temper and slapped this kid in the face. She was arrested and hauled away right from the school. I'm totally sure she got fired. We never saw her again.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 11, 2018, 05:32:58 PM
Shooters and agates?

Good ones.  I just had to google to refresh my memory.  There were Pearlies and tiger stripes.  I remember the cat's eye being the cheapest ones. 

Brought back a lot of memories of the marbles and short left thumb :)

Not sure if Julie knows what a Pogo Stick is :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Anne Blake

Don't forget the cateyes marbles, they are around here somewhere. I still have a slide rule around that I use when I don't have a calculator or spreadsheet close at hand. And don't forget the 22 cents a gallon gasoline.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 11, 2018, 05:36:14 PM
At one point in my long and storied life, deposit bottles would have been on this list. But if you tell people nowadays that we just threw away all our bottles and cans, they look at you like you're dirty.  :laugh:

LOL.  Yep.  I remember it being a source of income as a kid.  I knew one guy who would steal the bottles from the store's storage area and then cash them in only to keep doing this. 
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:31:33 PM
Good one!  Also, Marbles -  can you remember their names?

Marbles are little glass balls. How could you play with those? I guess you could throw them at each other.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Anne Blake on January 11, 2018, 05:37:35 PM
Don't forget the cateyes marbles, they are around here somewhere. I still have a slide rule around that I use when I don't have a calculator or spreadsheet close at hand. And don't forget the 22 cents a gallon gasoline.

rare 4-panel onionskin type with suspended bits of mica was the top selling marble in the Morphy Auction, March 2009 sale.

Size: 2 1/6"
    Condition: 9.6
    Auction House: Morphy Auctions
    Sale Date: March 2009
    Sold Price: $9,775

Gives new meaning to the phrase "He's lost his marbles"
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

While we're here, who's made a potholder on a loom? Played with gimp? Chinese checkers? Magic 8-Ball?
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:38:21 PM
LOL.  Yep.  I remember it being a source of income as a kid.  I knew one guy who would steal the bottles from the store's storage area and then cash them in only to keep doing this.

I heard about that from my grandma. She said soda bottles used to be made of glass and you paid a safety deposit for them when you bought soda. If you wanted your money back you had to haul them back to the store and that they got mad if you didn't wash them out before you took them back. What a pain! It's so much easier to throw plastic bottles in the recycle bin.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 05:44:10 PM
I heard about that from my grandma. She said soda bottles used to be made of glass and you paid a safety deposit for them when you bought soda. If you wanted your money back you had to haul them back to the store and that they got mad if you didn't wash them out before you took them back. What a pain! It's so much easier to throw plastic bottles in the recycle bin.

Sooooooooooooooooooo many memories popping up now.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •