Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Old things youngins might like to know

Started by Laurie, January 11, 2018, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: Lady Sarah on January 20, 2018, 06:33:37 PM
Ah yes. I listened to Poison, Great White, and Bon Jovi. Most of the kids preferred that "new age music" someone came up with.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

Ugh, my dad likes that music.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 20, 2018, 09:02:41 PM
Ugh, my dad likes that music.

I have since stepped up my music choices to Metallica, Queensryche, and Megadeth. I have chosen not to listen to hip hop.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: Deborah on January 20, 2018, 08:24:47 PM
I'm too old for all that new music.  My  music was Black Sabbath,  Nazareth, Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Pink Floyd for those out of body times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Procol Harum for those out of body moments.  I spent a lot of time in various altered states of consciousness trying to figure out what A White Shade of Pale meant.  And maybe a little time listening to Dark Side of the Moon.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Sarah_P

Quote from: Sephirah on January 20, 2018, 01:41:36 PM
80's power ballads!

This one is my all time favourite. The music back then was epic, haha. The big hair was something else, lol. This is the song of my childhood ;D

Now you're speaking my language! I LOVE Final Countdown!
My go-to bands when I was young (late 80s early 90s) were Anthrax and Megadeth, though. I really like Judas Priest & Iron Maiden, too. Metallica had 2 or 3 decent albums back then.....

Oh, and we can never forget Dio!
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

Colleen_definitely

RIP RJD

I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan.  (though I always hated Nirvana for some reason)  I LOVE the Concrete and Gold album, it has kind of a 70's experimental rock vibe to it.  They're also by far the best live act I've seen.  Dave and the boys really enjoy playing and it shows in their performance.

I love Pink Floyd as well. 

I am a total sucker for acts with a strong female lead as well.  Halestorm (awesome live), Within Temptation, some of In This Moment (they're hit and miss for me), and others.

Also The Final Countdown covered in the greatest possible way:

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Julia1996

I do like some oldies music. I grew up exposed to my dad's 80s-90s music. Some of it is good. Though all the rock and metal sound like a cat stuck in a vacuum cleaner. I wad also exposed to my grandma's oldies. Something she's always done that's totally ungrandmotherly is blasting her music while she cleans her house. But I must say I found some of her 60s-70s music good. A couple of totally ancient songs of hers I really like. Five o clock world and magic carpet ride are 2 that I like that are very old.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 09:46:21 AM
sound like a cat stuck in a vacuum cleaner.

That perfectly describes 99% of the hair metal bands of the 80s.  And you can add all those awful power ballads in there.  The only reason the bands sang those was so groupies would show up and  Beavis and Butthead could drag their girl along and keep the concerts from being a total sausage fest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  •  

Devlyn

To those who have their memories successfully repressed, my deepest apologies.

To those who have to use Google, I also apologize. You will never unsee this, but dropping something heavy on your foot should take your mind off the eye pain.  :laugh:

On to the horror. In the 70's my father wore a leisure suit. A light blue one.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 23, 2018, 10:38:45 AM

To those who have to use Google, I also apologize. You will never unsee this, but dropping something heavy on your foot should take your mind off the eye pain.  :laugh:

OMG! All I can say is WHY????????
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 11:07:09 AM
OMG! All I can say is WHY????????
Hey, :-(

I had one too in high school.  It was light blue denim.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Devlyn

Throwback Thursday is just around the corner, Deborah.  8)
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Deborah on January 23, 2018, 11:28:31 AM

Without a doubt the 70s had the most butt ugly clothes. Ewww.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 11:43:04 AM

More late 70's - But "Stay'n Alive....."
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 23, 2018, 11:39:48 AM
Throwback Thursday is just around the corner, Deborah.  8)
In the early 70's I had a pair of bell bottoms where the front and back were different colors and each side's color, left and right, was reversed from the other side.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Deborah on January 23, 2018, 12:29:18 PM
In the early 70's I had a pair of bell bottoms where the front and back were different colors and each side's color, left and right, was reversed from the other side.

In 1974, when I wasn't on duty I wore bell bottoms and someone gave me a dungaree shirt.  I went to an American Legion convention and the SgtMaj of the USMC was there and someone had given me a sailor's hat.  Someone wanted to introduce me to the SgtMaj and when they did I certainly didn't look like no Marine, lol.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on January 23, 2018, 10:38:45 AM

To those who have to use Google, I also apologize. You will never unsee this, but dropping something heavy on your foot should take your mind off the eye pain.  [emoji23]

Pretty sure my dad did too, though not positive it was light blue.
Think mine was brown. Traded it in for a satin disco jacket. 

This was middle and high school so didn't wear that stuff too often.
Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 11:43:04 AM
Not sure about that. 80s had shoulder pads and parachute pants. 

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: TonyaW on January 23, 2018, 12:58:02 PM
Pretty sure my dad did too, though not positive it was light blue.
Think mine was brown. Traded it in for a satin disco jacket. 

This was middle and high school so didn't wear that stuff too often. Not sure about that. 80s had shoulder pads and parachute pants. 

The 80s don't get any prizes for fashion either. I saw a picture of my dad when he was 11. He had on this ugly jacket and these weird pants with zippers all over them. He told me it was a members only jacket and the pants were called parachute pants. He said both were the in thing at the time. The 90s weren't much better. I saw a picture of my dad when he was like 17. Ratty looking clothes, a face full of scruff and hair that looked like it had never seen a brush. He looked like a derelict. He said it was called "grunge". That's a fitting name for that mess. It's like people just had awful taste in clothes and hair until 2000.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 23, 2018, 01:23:22 PM
The 80s don't get any prizes for fashion either. I saw a picture of my dad when he was 11. He had on this ugly jacket and these weird pants with zippers all over them. He told me it was a members only jacket and the pants were called parachute pants. He said both were the in thing at the time. The 90s weren't much better. I saw a picture of my dad when he was like 17. Ratty looking clothes, a face full of scruff and hair that looked like it had never seen a brush. He looked like a derelict. He said it was called "grunge". That's a fitting name for that mess. It's like people just had awful taste in clothes and hair until 2000.

1860-65 the total grunge look!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: Deborah on January 23, 2018, 11:28:31 AM

I had the exact same suit.   In the 1960's I had an blue Nehru jacket with a white turtleneck and a medallion like these but in bright blue.

About this color.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•