Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

VFSRAC (VFS) with Dr. Kim at Yeson Voice Center

Started by Kendra, February 27, 2018, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

Thank you so much for providing so much detail of vfs and you trip. You are an amazing traveler and planner 😀
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Sonja

Kendra - Thank you for providing all the updates, appreciated. Hope it keeps going well for you.

Sonja.
  •  

Jennifer W

Thankyou , your posts are wonderful and you are beautiful!
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Kendra on March 06, 2018, 11:34:07 PM
Took the new high speed rail from Seoul Station to Jinbu in the PyongChang area, site of the 2018 Winter Olympics.  Obviously I missed the games (and the traffic) but it turned out to be a great day trip.  Seoul was a bit smoggy and cloudy that day, the mountains were clear and sunny.  There was snow on the ground but it was surprisingly warm - had a very nice walk in the mountain air.  Then back down the hill for tofu soup and bibimbap. 

Kendra,

You are certainly very adventurous. I have never been there.

I like riding train, but mostly I take the high speed rail for business. I miss the old-fashioned, slow trains, which I sometimes take to travel the countryside. The Korail is trying hard to attract passengers and introduced some trains for tourism and education.

And the sky in Seoul looks clean, which is exceptional nowadays.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

EmmaD

Hi Kendra, well done!  It seems like you floated through this surgery.  I was at Yeson just over a year ago and it all went very well.  From the looks of the goodie bags and voice training stuff, they are evolving all the time which has to be reassuring for anyone looking at Yeson. You don't want them to be standing still! To that end, updates like this are valuable.

My results?  To be honest, I am not sure and don't really care.  I have recordings where I struggle to get down to 220 hz!  I am probably around there these days.  I stopped the doing voice lessons daily in November (had BA done and just lost interest!).  I saw Dr Kim (and Jessie of course) here in Melbourne in November (before BA) and there are still some small things that his computer detected that need work but the improvement voice-health wise is obvious.  Pitch is obvious too.

One thing Yeson did raise was that for patients over about the age of 50 (and may be less if you have smoked) is that the result will vary and the 70hz improvement is best case and cannot be guaranteed.  I was initially taken back by this (I am 56 soon) but it was a good heads-up about what I could expect to achieve.

The other thing to take advantage of if you can is to go an see Dr Kim when he is travelling around the world.  He has visited Australia (Melbourne and Sydney) a few times along with the Facial Team and Marci Bowers.  The opportunity to see him before making a decision is huge!  One thing he mentioned when I saw him in Melbourne 2 months pre-op (I had already booked) was around infection risk.  He pointed out that the surgery site is tiny and the risk is low.  The greater risk is damaging the site afterwards which is why Yeson's post-op regime is pretty conservative.  Better more care than less.

As you can read in this and other threads, these people are very good at what they do and Korea is a cool spot to spend some time. 
  •  

Kendra

They also mentioned age 50+ to me, I had to sign a waiver stating I might not gain as much pitch due to age.  I'm fine with that, even a moderate pitch increase without having to strain would be nice to have.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

EmmaD

•  

Kendra

It's April and I've been able to use my voice for one full day.  The first few efforts were exactly as Dr. Kim predicted - difficult to speak clearly, initial pitch no better or even slightly worse, and difficult to control.  A few hours later speaking was definitely easier and volume is gradually returning.  He had reminded me to not force it, take it easy for the second month.  Voice exercises start in the third month.

By the end of day one, still difficult but I noticed although my voice alternates between okay and rough, something about it feels better.  I don't think my pitch has significantly changed yet (and isn't expected to for awhile), but speaking at my existing pitch feels better than before.  And there's an odd sensation I'd describe as an upside down falsetto... I can hit low pitches just fine but doing so feels unnatural, like it's on the edge of breaking into a range to avoid.

I don't want to strain what is still healing, so I am not experimenting yet with how high I can speak.  Speaking is still difficult and will be for the next several weeks, but at least I don't have to carry around a slip of paper explaining why I can't talk. 

Not being able to speak was an interesting experience.  Just as GCS recovery caused me to realize how challenging it must be for people who are permanently bedridden, I have huge respect for anyone who permanently loses their voice.  People I interacted with that first month were generally polite but in many cases misunderstood my condition.  On three occasions store clerks responded by writing things down, assuming I can't hear or understand spoken words.  In other cases people spoke more slowly, perhaps assuming I don't have the ability to process language at full speed. 

And there was an upside to being silent.  I was never misgendered in situations where I would have been occasionally misgendered - and I believe my voice has been the cause of that.  But now that I can speak again, the pressure is on to practice and get this voice where I need it to go.  So far so good. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

tgirlamg

Kendra!

Thank you for the update dear sister!... I know that VFS will be a journey unto itself!!!... Thanks for blazing the trail ahead!... I am actually looking forward to the "vow of silence" portion!... Many years ago I had both eardrums ruptured and got to experience being deaf for a while... Now I will get to experience being mute!... In all experiences, there are lessons for us...

Onward we go brave sister!!!

Ashley 😀💗🌻🙏
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Kendra on April 03, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
Not being able to speak was an interesting experience.  Just as GCS recovery caused me to realize how challenging it must be for people who are permanently bedridden, I have huge respect for anyone who permanently loses their voice.  People I interacted with that first month were generally polite but in many cases misunderstood my condition.  On three occasions store clerks responded by writing things down, assuming I can't hear or understand spoken words.  In other cases people spoke more slowly, perhaps assuming I don't have the ability to process language at full speed. 
Writing stuff down isn't that bad. I went to the hospital with a UTI and they started using sign language on me even though I told them I can can't speak. I am sorry to say, I don't know a word of sign language or I would have responded in sign.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

PollyQMcLovely

Quote from: tgirlamc on April 03, 2018, 05:09:08 PM
I am actually looking forward to the "vow of silence" portion!... Many years ago I had both eardrums ruptured and got to experience being deaf for a while... Now I will get to experience being mute!... In all experiences, there are lessons for us..

Ha. What a positive outlook you have. I too would like experience those things. I imagine learning to adapt to different sensory deprivations would help your brain to stay super adaptable and agile.
  •  

Rachel

Hi Kendra,

that was a quick month. How do you sound? I assume this week is your first week making sound?

I know after my VFS procedure I was very disappointed because I did not realize I had to let my voice rest and my new instrument was very different than my old vocal instrument. I was impatient.

I do know that 3 months after surgery I was doing much better and now that it is almost 4 months post surgery I see improvement still.

You have a great outlook and I can not wait to hear how you sound. I am 55 and a former smoker (quit for 9 years).

Good luck and you are in my thoughts,

Rach
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
  •  

Kendra

This is the first week I've been able to speak - and day two was quite a bit different than day one.  Day one my voice was quite a mess but I wasn't worried, Dr. Kim had explained that's how things start out.  Each day is improving, I imagine the improvement is about to get a lot more gradual.  When I think about it I seem to have better control over my voice, but I also stumble about 1/4 of the time.  That's probably what the voice exercises are for, those start next month.  I'm assuming the additional month before starting exercises is to avoid over-using things that are healing. 

I am with my parents right now and yesterday I noticed my pitch seems to be about the same as my mother (she is from Japan).  But the part that makes me self-conscious is I'm currently traveling in Japan, many Japanese women use a very high pitched voice with confidence, much higher than I had ever imagined for my own voice.
  •  

Rachel

It sounds like you are recovering very well. I can not wait for a few more months to pass and learn how well your voice progresses.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
  •  

Kendra

Here's a chart Dr. Kim drew while I was there - shows the expected pitch change over time after VFSRAC. 

•  

barbie

Just do it.
  •  

Kendra

Barbie, thank you for sending the interesting article.  Based on my experience so far (2 months post-op), it's accurate.
  •  

Voriat

Dearest Kendra:

I link you a topic which I've just started.
I refer you some questions about this surgery's recovery process.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,240443.new.html#new
  •  

Donica

Kendra!
Thanks for the very detailed thread on this subject. I just found it and have found it to be very informative. BTW, I followed Tia and Debi's wedding thread. You look like your recovery has gone well. I will be starting VFT in a week or 2. I'm waiting for the approval. I would be interested in going to Dr. Kim if the therapy doesn't help. I have one concern about the first month of recovery. As an ex smoker, I was wondering what would happen if I did cough in the first month? I quit smoking over a year ago (age 60) but I still cough a bit now and then. I still have to clear my throat all the time. I would be very worried about this if I do go for VFS. Any thought?

Thanks and hugs girl,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Kendra

If your natural voice isn't too far out of range VFT (therapy/training) might work well, and you should gain skills that are necessary regardless of VFS. 

I am not a good reference point for smoking anything other than a few rare exceptions.  Yeson Voice Center will advise against any coughing during the first month if at all possible.  I think you're doing the right thing trying VFT before VFS. 
  •