Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Is gender actually important in real social practice?

Started by Pica Pica, December 20, 2007, 06:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is gender actually important in real social practice?

Oui
23 (76.7%)
Non
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Nero

By 'dismissive', I mean seen as a mere lay. A sexual object. This was how I was talked to upon being introduced.

Posted on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:37 AM
Also, in a sense, attractive women are treated worse than ugly women. At least in this respect.

Less attractive men and women are always treated differently than the attractive. But that's not the issue at hand.
Quote from: Keira on January 01, 2008, 10:04:42 AM

I think it also depends of what kind of female you are a 6 foot, well I don't want to say it
to loudly... but seemingly attractive (embarassed..) women like me is treated way differently
than my 5 foot tall average look overweight best friend's wife (she would say the same).

I rarely get what I'd term a dismissive look and I'd bite their head off if they did ;-).

I even think there's more difference between how she and me are treated than between men and women in general. There are many many axis in how we deal with people which creates the overall complexity of our relationships.

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

Keira

I get what you mean Nero, and if I was 5 foot 6 I'd probably get that look.
But, I get more, you're out of my league look, like if they were introduced to
a victoria's secret magazine model ;-) (I'm joking, mostly ;-), but you get my drift).
My smaller female friends pretty or not, get hit on 5 times more than me.
A 6 foot women intimidates men; a good thing... Maybe  :D
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Keira on January 01, 2008, 10:52:41 AM

I get what you mean Nero, and if I was 5 foot 6 I'd probably get that look.
But, I get more, you're out of my league look, like if they were introduced to
a victoria's secret magazine model ;-) (I'm joking, mostly ;-), but you get my drift).
My smaller female friends pretty or not, get hit on 5 times more than me.
A 6 foot women intimidates men; a good thing... Maybe  :D

True. Taller women do present a challenge. Men will admire the beauty of a tall woman from afar. Men are intimidated. They like to feel like 'the protector'. I've noticed that in my romantic relationships with men. I always went for shorter, smaller men.
But being a tall woman is a good thing. Less likely to be targeted for violence. Not to mention you taller gals always have the best legs.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

NicholeW.

It seems to me that gender is ALWAYS part of the interactions with others. And if you are 'read' that complicates things further. As do the variables of height, weight, perceived intelligence or lack of it, etc, etc.

But, gender is definitely a part, a large one. We may not like that, but its there and will remain for some time, as Isabelle said.

We are conditioned to make it so, for good or ill and often it's both at the same time.

Nichole
  •  

Doc

Quote from: Nero on January 01, 2008, 09:54:47 AM
Honestly, Pica dear, I feel it's a difference experienced more by the female-bodied. I've experienced people's entire demeanor and manner of speech change within but an hour of conversation with me. They don't know they're doing it. But suddenly, they're speaking with me as if I were just another guy. But upon first shaking hands, they spoke to me differently. This is annoying. I wish I could be taken at face value. There is sort of a dismissive attitude towards females.

I've had this experience, too. I think that Pica's original post would indicate this as an instance where gender doesn't matter -- the person gets to know you for an hour and begins to see you as who you are and treat you accordingly.

That first hour is annoying, but what's intolerable is the times when it just doesn't happen at all, or happens in a really minimal way -- an hour of talk and I have moved from 'that girl' to 'that adventurous tomboy girl,' but not achieved the 'female, but not a woman,' or 'one of the guys' gender(less) status that I get from friends.

The genderless status thing can be frustrating in itself. My man-ness is low-key and minimalist, but present, while I lack woman-ness entirely (barring the physical facts of my female body). What people who see 'female, but not really a woman' are responding to is someone who is minimally woman and zero man, the opposite of my inner experience. It's more comfortable than people thinking I'm a normal woman, but it's not exactly my true self expressed and observed.

Those who see the tomboy are even more frustrating. Adventerous Tomboy Girl, as an archetype, has a positive value for essential femininity and a positive value for an outward pseudo-masculinity that does not reflect man-ness but is often an expression of the feminine as active, independant and practical. Quiet Gentle Bookish Boy and Adventerous Tomboy Girl are very dissimilar archetypes, I in fact feel more unrecognized when classified in this way than when smashingly blind people treat me as Basic Woman.

I wonder if you won't change your mind about this one as you age, Pica, 'cause of what I said about people treating me like I'm younger than I am. I expect you'll get the same thing, and probably do to some degree already. I want respect as an experienced adult, because I am one, but find it withheld from me. As a female-bodied person I am supposed to display womanhood to be an adult, and I'm incapable of that, so I'm a thirty-three year old kid and tired of it.
  •  

Pica Pica

could well be the case. I often do find myself cast in the junior role, even when I am not the junior as such, or when I am a peer.
  •  

Schala

Quote from: Kate on December 22, 2007, 12:58:25 PM
Quote from: Dennis on December 20, 2007, 09:03:47 PM
The difference in how I'm treated since transition is astounding. I no longer get condescended to. ... but the only thing that's changed for me is the outward presentation of gender and it's quite remarkable. Depressing too, in a way.

Ya know, I really didn't believe in this "male privilege" thing so much... until I lost it, lol.

Now I feel like the Invisible Woman. It's ALMOST amusing, since I've seen the Other Side of things too and know what's going on. Still, it's odd to suddenly be either:

a) ignored and looked-past like I'm not even there, or...
b) looked at like an annoyance not "worth it," not a person

Enjoy it Dennis! Male Privilege looks much better on you than it did on me ;)

~Kate~

That's funny actually, cause it was all the reverse for me. I went from pretty much invisible (but definitely noticed...in a bad way), to considered attractive and finally 'worth their time' socially (outside scholarly events where they were forced to listen). So I'm actually more visible and more positively seen now, than I used to be.

And I answered yes to the poll...a bit too pervasive for me to ignore.
  •