Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

US Permanent(Alien) resident how to change name and gender

Started by EvaT, March 08, 2018, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvaT

So I think I hit a road block... I won't, or better, I don't want to go full time until my legal papers has been changed. But I have no idea how, and if I can get things changed. Would I be able to change my gender and name on my drivers license, green card, foreign passport, and possibly my birth certificate? Or would it be easier for me to become an American citizen and then change my name and gender. I'm an US Marines veteran if that helps?
  •  

KarynMcD

•  

SonadoraXVX

Hello EvaT,

The greencard stuff I have no idea, but he does this immigration attorney has info. on there that maybe relatable to you, the citizenship stuff I do know, please read below, its my personal short narrative.

YMMV, meaning everybody is different.

I ended up getting my US citizenship in 2003, due to my USMC time during a war period(Persian Gulf Era/1991), but as a man. It makes it easier to explain your original gender in the USMC, than adding another wrench into the system(change of gender) and really confusing the Homeland Security/Citizenship and Immigration Services people(CIS), They will more than likely not understand, by lip services yes, but really deep down inside, nope. If your a veteran during a time of war, since you look kind of young in your pic, you may have served during the GWOT period, even if you never set foot in the sandbox, as long as you were in, during the GWOT/Persian Gulf era. INS/CIS doubted my time in mother corps, since I just don't look the jardhead type, I just rather have my attorneys handle this rather delicate situation. Don't know what part of the country your in, but you can get free info. on Carl Shusterman's website. Just for info., pretty sure the federal laws are same nationwide.  The greencard stuff, I have no idea.

No I'm not a representative or being compensated by him or his affiliates, he helpd me out pre hrt in my 30's, in my man days.

https://www.shusterman.com/naturalization-through-military-service/

Naturalization Through Military Service
Immigrants who have served in the US Armed Forces during a time of hostilities are eligible for expedited naturalization.
Those who served honorably since September 11, 2001 are eligible to immediately apply for naturalization. This is also true for those who served honorably in a prior conflict (World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, etc.)
There is no requirement that an applicant for naturalization through military service during wartime have any period of continuous residency or physical presence in the US.

Applicants must be persons of good moral character, know English, and pass a US history/government test. In addition, they must take an oath of allegiance to the US.
They must submit a Form N-400 Application for Naturalization, as well as forms verifying their military service.
Naturalization through military service during peacetime requires a minimum period of 3 years of permanent residence in the US. The applicant must be physically present in the US for over 50% of the past 3 years.

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

epvanbeveren

Hi EvaT,

I am a Dutch citizen but live in the USA since 1988 and I am a legal alien.

Since I am Dutch I had to change my birth certificate trough the Netherlands and with the Dutch law. Each nationality has its own laws, so check with yours. Once I obtained my new birth certificate I applied for my Dutch passport and US green card.  I received my Dutch passport just in time for my visit to the immigrations in Norfolk VA for my fingerprints and photo appointment. My birth certificate and new passport I used to identify myself with at the immigrations.

It takes up to 9 months to get your new green card and I think $450 or so.

After this I went trough the American part of changing name and gender, since social security office wasn't willing to accept my Dutch birth certificate. I did this via court orders (name change) and Dr. letter for gender change.

Only problem is that you have miss matching ID's for up to 9 months, which can be a problem if you plan to travel. So the immigrations stamped my passport with a temporary green card stamp allowing me to travel back home on vacation.

Erin.
I am a K. MacPhee girl, re-born on October 4 2017 in Raleigh/Durham NC. USA
I was AMAB on May 6 1963 in Dordrecht, the Netherlands.

OUT and proud - 2014
HRT - 2015
Legal - 2016
GRS - 2017

Full Time - 01/01/2015:
first day (01) of new life (01), '15 = opposite of 51 (my age at the time)

•  

EvaT

Thank You so much everyone for the information! I'll probably become an American citizen, then change my gender and name after on DL and American passport. Then try to find out how to change it on my birth certificate and my foreign passport
  •