Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

SSA and DMV on the same day?

Started by 2.B.Dana, March 09, 2018, 10:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2.B.Dana

My name change hearing is next week.  I have read in multiple places that you need to do the Social Security Administration first but then need to wait a day to do the DMV. I have also read some ladies comments that alluded to doing both items on the same day. Looking for comments from ladies that have definitive experience with it either working or not working on the same day so I can plan better, thanks
Cheers,

Dana

•  

Devlyn

I did my name change in 2016, and did the license later. When i did my gender change I went straight from SS to the registry. I'm im Massachusetts.
  •  

Barb99

Name and gender change in 2015. I went straight from the court house to the DMV then to SS and on to the post office to send in my passport. All in the same morning.
  •  

Devlyn

Not sure how you managed that, and I don't recommend that approach. Social Security requires an ID to change your account. Plus the first question at the RMV was "Have you been to Social Security?"
  •  

widdershins

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 09, 2018, 12:26:20 PM
Not sure how you managed that, and I don't recommend that approach. Social Security requires an ID to change your account. Plus the first question at the RMV was "Have you been to Social Security?"

Pretty sure it depends on the state. In PA, it doesn't matter. As long as you have a current license, the DMV only needs a certified copy of the court order. (It might be different if you have no current ID, since applying for a new one does require your social security card.) Meanwhile, the social security office will take your non-updated ID as proof of identity, since your deadname is also right there on the court order.

So here it's totally possible to do everything on the same day if your hearing is early enough and the lines at the respective government agencies are short enough. I did the DMV first, but I know people who did it the other way around.
  •  

jill610

Quote from: widdershins on March 09, 2018, 02:22:59 PM
Pretty sure it depends on the state. In PA, it doesn't matter. As long as you have a current license, the DMV only needs a certified copy of the court order. (It might be different if you have no current ID, since applying for a new one does require your social security card.) Meanwhile, the social security office will take your non-updated ID as proof of identity, since your deadname is also right there on the court order.

So here it's totally possible to do everything on the same day if your hearing is early enough and the lines at the respective government agencies are short enough. I did the DMV first, but I know people who did it the other way around.

I have seen a lot of folks in PA do everything in one day and this is my plan as well. Gender marker change would also happen at the same time if you have the forms signed and ready to rock. I am hoping to get everything done that morning since my hearing is at 930 in the morning and marker was already changed.

Definitely varies state by state though for sure

•  

Barb99

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 09, 2018, 12:26:20 PM

Here (Illinois) it's call the DMV, they don't even ask for your SS number. At SS I gave them my new drivers license, my passport with my old name on it, the court order changing my name and the doctors letter to change my gender marker. The whole process of Court, DL, SS and passport was done in one morning.

I highly recommend just getting it done!
  •  

2.B.Dana

Yesterday was my time in court so the new name is official now! I headed straight to social security only to find they close early on Wednesdays and I arrived 4 minutes late. Ugh. I didn't want to waste my trip to the city so I went to see about a drivers license anyway.

The DMV website states that you should not go for a license until one day after doing changes with social security. I spoke to the greeter and he said he thought I could still get the license. I waited in line and explained everything to the clerk. She said she would try to override the systems automatic check with the social security folks. She was successful and I got the updated license I needed with an "F" !! The first F that I have been happy to get, lol.

The rest of the day was hit and miss getting things done because rules are odd everywhere you go. Today I went back to the social security folks. My number was called and I went up to the window. The man looked at my documents and spouted off a bunch of BS and basically said they couldn't do what I wanted. We had three or four exchanges of words, each one a bit less civil than the one before. I finally said I wanted to speak to someone else. He said they would just say the same thing. I said fine, I want to hear it from them to. He took my sheets and came back to tell me there were "new" guidelines and someone else would be helping me.

Back to the waiting room with a pounding heart. My number was called and this time the woman couldn't have been nicer. She handled everything so professionally and we chatted about many things. She was also a veteran and had the same first name! She did everything I needed and I got another "F"!

I'm so glad I didn't leave after the first guy was a jerk. So many more things to change but I am on my way!
Cheers,

Dana

•  

Devlyn

Big hug! Congratulations!

I did my name and gender on separate occasions. When I did my name, the girl at SS asked if I was changing my gender as well.  I said "Just the name but I won't complain if you change the gender too"  She smiled and said that they needed a doctors letter for that. I said "It doesn't hurt to ask."  ;D

Fast forward to the gender change, different girl this time. I explain that I'm changing my gender.

SS  "Oh, wow, you must be excited."
Me "Yes, it's been a long time getting to this point."
SS  "OK, bear with me, this is my first time changing a gender."
Me "No problem, it's my first time, too."
SS. "Well, hopefully your last!  ;D. "

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

TonyaW

Congratulations Dana. Glad to hear everything eventually went well with SSA and DMV. 

My day in court is tomorrow but not until late afternoon so even if SSA didn't close early on Wednesdays I'd still be too late to get there.  I need to keep myself busy in the morning and not go nuts waiting for it. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•