Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hello out there am I the only member in the UP

Started by Tatiana 79, April 30, 2018, 05:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I_Am_Hazel

Hi there, just wanted to pop in here. I'm not from the UP, but I'm from SE Michigan, so distant-neighbours at least :) I'm thrilled to see that you've connected with some people locally, that's really great!
  •  

Tatiana 79

Thanks All
For bringing this subject back up.
It's definitely nice knowing that I am not all alone up here. I spent my entire childhood and then some, feeling alone and isolated and back then I thought I was the only one on the planet with the feelings I have. But perhaps now it's my time to mingle a little with like-minded individuals.

To Mary,  thank you for your concern and also for your kind words in the past. I'll never forget the time you told me that nice places produce nice people. I do believe though that most people are generally good hearted, regardless where they come from.
But I have noticed quite a difference in people's behavior here, compared to where I grew up outside of Detroit.
  Darwinism definitely holds true,
We are all just products of our environment. Up here the environment is all natural and very beautiful which definitely reflects on to the people here.

And to Dawn, Thanks GF for taking the time out to provide me the link in the Marquette area. I know that 37 people to you doesn't seem like a lot but it's an absolutely huge number for me especially when I was thinking I was the only one up here.
  I'm going to the U P rainbow Pride parade and Gathering in a small Park in Marquette on September 15th.
I believe I'm going to be completely overwhelmed by the turnout which should be quite large for the area.
Northern Michigan University, thats in Marquette brings in a large batch of young people that grew up very different than we did.
I once went to a drag show on campus there and was shocked how stuffed to the rafters the place was with unique people. I'm sure a lot of these college students will also be at Pride Fest but I'm also hoping for many older individuals to be there so I don't feel so much like a dinosaur.lol and also I'm very much looking forward to meeting in person the first trans woman I ever had contact with that directed me to a trans friendly doctor that got me started in about a month, otherwise I'd still be without treatment from the main hospital up here even after 10 years of going there.
Much appreciated Dawn, I tried to go to that page recommended but couldn't due to some problem, but I'll try again later it'll probably work.

And to Hazel, I also was from Southeast Michigan, Dearborn to be exact and I lived within the shadows of where Henry Ford also grew up.
  It's definitely nice to hear from another Michigander, I hope to hear from you again in the future.

Love you all. Tatiana
  •  

Tatiana 79

Thanks to you Mary
I found out that there's another yooper up here other than me, eh
I've already responded to Michelle in her introduction post, and PMed her
Thanks to you Mary if she PM's me back I can give her the name to my doctor and I think she should be very happy. My doctor is very trans-friendly and she's very cool.
Thank you much Mary and if Michelle contacts me she'll probably be thanking you too.
  Love Tatiana
  •  

DawnOday

Hon you need a laptop :D  i have no problem accessing the site.Hmm I don't know what's going on. But at least you are finding a few people. I think you will be excited when you see several hundred people show up. I know my first large crowed was a real eye opener as I too thought I was all alone for the longest time. Having others to talk to and share socially is so fabulous. If I could pull it off I would love to travel with Michelle and Laurie but I'm not as stable as I used to be due to neuropathy in my feet. I fell down last weekend and I had to have two people pick me up and since I am on blood thinners I bled like a stuck pig. 
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Tatiana 79

Hello Dawn
The only thing going on is I'm trying to help Michelle find treatment as she described in her introduction thread. She said she couldn't find any treatment, because she lives in the middle of nowhere up in the UP.

Yes it should be quite fun at Pride Fest I believe I'm going to be a bit overwhelmed though I'm really not used to any kind of crowds or anything. But I really wanted to meet in person the first trans woman that directed me to the appropriate doctor because she also wasted time at the same hospital I did.
  So sorry to hear dear about the neuropathy in your feet, I hope things can improve for you in that area.
And gosh do you ever run out of awesome pictures for your avatar ?
I think your newest one is very lovely indeed.

Health, happiness and love to you
    Tatiana
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Tatiana 79
Dear Tatiana:
I fondly recall the day that I first welcomed you to Susan's Place exactly 4 months ago back in April.   
Today is your 4 month anniversary of being a Susan's Place member.

I am enjoying the give and take on this thread of yours... I am very pleased to see that you are interfacing with lots of other members here on the Forums....  and that you have found others in your rural area of Michigan that share your similar goals.    I am so glad to see that you have a wonderfully positive sprint about yourself.   
You will certainly do what you set out to do as you maintain your determination and have willpower to achieve your goals in your transition journey.

At this moment I don't have too much to post on your thread other than I want you to know that I am thinking about you often.
I look for and I read every one of your postings on the various threads around the forums and frequently follow your threads that you have started since you joined Susan's Place.  :)

My inbox is always open for your to write anytime about anything.

Wishing you well there in the U P  and  I know that you are always wishing me well up here where I live.   We both live in small rural towns so that alone gives us a common thread and bond.

Hugs and hugs,
Daniell
e   :-*
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

DawnOday

Thank you Tatiana. I would love to come up and visit as I have flying privileges with Alaska Air, Marquette looks like I would imagine heaven, unfortunately the closest airport is Detroit. I think it would be lovely to meet you in person. Neuropathy is just one more arrow in my crappy health quiver. Actually I stepped on a parking tire block but because I have no feeling in my feet, I fell. That's also why I can't wear heels. Oh boo hoo poor me. ;D
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Tatiana 79

Dear Danielle
I can hardly believe it's been 4 months already, thanks dear for pointing this out to me.
I am certain if it was not for you I would not have made it to this point, I still feel awkward, but far less then when I first started here.
  You are definitely right about this being an addictive place I originally just came here for some information but admittedly got sucked in to the banter that exist here. Because we're all quite the same.
This place is such an Oasis from reality and is so filled with caring loving people willing to share their lives with you it's been just wonderful.
I'm very glad to hear that there's another young member that just introduced herself and also feels very alone in the middle of nowhere up in the UP, as I once did. And I would very much like to help her find treatment as others have helped me, I feel it's my turn to repay the favor.
And out of all the things I've ever done in my life I get the most reward out of even slightly helping someone here.
I definitely have always felt, the joy is always in the giving and now I possibly get to feel good if she contacts me back I'm sure I can make her happy telling her where to go.

Thank you so much for telling me the other day that you appreciated me taking the time for  welcoming a new member. I really do enjoy this very much but I have to be careful to stick to an MTF situation that I can relate to because I'm always worried about saying something wrong that I don't understand yet.
And thank you so much again Danielle know that you were instrumental in my existence here.

And to Dawn
I know that you would rather fly into Marquette than Detroit, because flying into Marquette would probably be one of the least crowded smallest airports you possibly ever flew into.
You would hardly even believe it, there's usually only a couple dozen people in the whole place and you can park your car right next to the door. The airport itself is huge because it used to be an active air force base called, KI Sawyer.  When I first moved here I remember seeing B-52,s  and fighter jets that sometimes would come down to skim Our lake. But now that the Cold War is Over it's been turned into the civilian, Sawyer International Airport.
  But flying into Detroit metro airport is about as complete opposite as you can get because it's a super big, super crowded Airport and it's still a 500 Mile Road Trip to get up to Marquette.
  My wife recently flew from Marquette to Detroit and came back traumatized from the experience.
It's really like two different worlds, up here things haven't changed in decades, where down there my wife could hardly navigate around because it got so extra busy.
  Too bad we're not like fine wine that gets better with age but I think we're more like old cars that break down slowly over time.lol but that's okay it sure a lot better breaking down slowly now than in our old dysphoric lives.
At least now we can live out our lives without this added horrible burden on us and we can look forward to the future with hope and optimism that we would not have if we would have not seeked out treatment.
And you're definitely right Dawn this phone's getting a little old.
But that's the yooper attitude of, if it works use it. but I believe its days are numbered.

Thank you both for your caring and support, know that it's quite Priceless to me.

Love you both. Tatiana
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Tatiana 79
Dear Tatiana:
That was such a sweet response to @DawnOday and me.   THANK YOU for being so kind.

Note Tatiana... you know all too well about what I am saying in my next paragraph, but I wrote this for the followers of your thread:
I have been to the UP several times on road trips... coming east from Minneapolis or coming north from Chicago or Detroit or Grand Rapids. 

Detroit is such a long drive away that it might make sense for visitors to take a commuter flight from Detroit to Marquette.  If I correctly recall it is well over a 7 or 8 hour hour drive but beautiful scenery along the way, Well before getting to the UP is very rural and sparsely populated and includes a very large State Park and surrounding wilderness areas that offers an interesting visitor center and logging museum, many hiking and lake actives....   
.....and especially scenic is going over the Mackinac Bridge to get to the Upper Peninsula.  Of course a visit to Mackinac Island and the town of Mackinaw City should be on any travelers list. 

For your pallet if you have not tried Pasties or a English Pasty, there are lots of mom and pop bakeries and eateries in Mackinaw City that make them fresh daily.
(Pasty is pronounced with a "soft A" much like in the word "nasty")

And once getting over the bridge, the scenery on the way to and in and around Marquette with the various Light House tours is simply beautiful.   One could take 2 or 3 days just to make the stops along the way to enjoy what your state has to offer...  the good news is that it is nothing at all like Detroit!!!! LOL

So anyway Tatiana, I am very much familiar with the small town rural setting that you are living in and I certainly can identify with it considering where I live as well.

Thank you again for your kind thoughts and words.... and for keeping your threads alive....
Hugs and more hugs,
Danielle

•  

Tatiana 79

OMG Danielle
I am so shocked and so happy that you are so familiar with what is offered up here.
I think that you described everything excellently. This is most definitely not a place to come to for man-made features but to take in all the natural ones.
Even your times driving from Detroit to up here are very accurate because I must have made the trip I'm guessing at least 50 times coming up here first on every vacation then to find land and to get the construction going because we bought a piece of raw forested land and it took a little effort to get it into a homestead.
I actually had a friend that I grew up with who was an excellent diesel mechanic that moved to Fairbanks and assured me because he knew my background that I could find work there if not at his company, there would be others.
I'm most certain if I ever came up to Alaska I would fall in love with the Wilderness and have to live there, but there was just enough of that here to keep me closer to my parents at that time that were quite old and getting sick.

I think that Pamela might have tricked us both about gammon in her country. So I tried to trick her about the Pasty that I have only heard about up here but of course she knew about it I didn't realize it was so common in her country I'll have to think of something else to trick her about. lol
I've lived enough Winters here so the locals don't call me troll anymore, which is someone living south of the Mackinac Bridge where 97% of Michigan's population lives.
But now after I've been living here for 25 years I'm considered a yooper for sure.
  I can't even hide my yooper accent that I didn't think I had, but when I talk to my sisters they always tell me they can hear it even when I'm trying to enunciate everything perfectly.
Wah, I am so very glad ya traveled through dis neck of da woods, eh.

hugs and love back to you sweetheart
      Tatiana

•  

pamelatransuk

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on August 21, 2018, 02:03:58 PM
@Tatiana 79
Pasty is pronounced with a "soft A" much like in the word "nasty"[/color]

Danielle
Quote from: Tatiana 79 on August 21, 2018, 03:23:44 PM
I think that Pamela might have tricked us both about gammon in her country. So I tried to trick her about the Pasty that I have only heard about up here but of course she knew about it I didn't realize it was so common in her country I'll have to think of something else to trick her about. lol
hugs and love back to you sweetheart
      Tatiana

Dear Danielle and Dear Tatiana

Just 2 quick brief points on food:

My first time in US I was in a restaurant and they offered as a vegetable beets which I and my friend had never heard of and we agreed to sample some and then we laughed when we saw them as we had sampled many times before but in UK we say beetroot!

I only discovered last year on pronunciation that you have long A sound in basil wheras we have a soft A in it as in the boy's name!

Diversity is good!

Hugs to you both

Pamela

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: pamelatransuk on August 22, 2018, 04:38:51 AM
Dear Danielle and Dear Tatiana

Just 2 quick brief points on food:

My first time in US I was in a restaurant and they offered as a vegetable beets which I and my friend had never heard of and we agreed to sample some and then we laughed when we saw them as we had sampled many times before but in UK we say beetroot!

I only discovered last year on pronunciation that you have long A sound in basil wheras we have a soft A in it as in the boy's name!

Diversity is good!

Hugs to you both

Pamela

@pamelatransuk    cc: @Tatiana 79
Dear Pamela:
Ahhh, yes, it is wonderful that things are not boringly the same everywhere....  it may be a small world but there is so very much diversity in food and food names, pronunciation, wording and phrases, etc.... and quite apparently in the variations from how words are spelled in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada... as compared to the USA... all English Language countries.

Here in the USA and also in Canada we love our Peanut Butter but for the life of me what is it that the Brits and Aussies find so appealing about Marmite and Vegemite  ???   
I have eaten both when in my travels so I am speaking from personal experience.

NOTE:  For those that do not know, both products (spreadable on crackers and toast) are made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing

Thank you for posting your thoughts,
Hugs,
Danielle 

•  

MaryT

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on August 21, 2018, 02:03:58 PM
@Tatiana 79
... For your pallet if you have not tried Pasties or a English Pasty, there are lots of mom and pop bakeries and eateries in Mackinaw City that make them fresh daily. ...

We used to call them Cornish pasties in England but the bureaucrats stepped in and now they can't be called that unless they were actually made in Cornwall.

I'm not sure whether we are still allowed to eat Yorkshire puddings that weren't made in Yorkshire, Scotch eggs that weren't made (and laid) in Scotland, Welsh rabbit that wasn't made in Wales, Irish stew that wasn't made in Ireland, French fries that weren't made in France, Hamburgers that weren't made in Hamburg, Frankfurters that weren't made in Frankfurt, Berliners (didn't JFK think that he was one?) that weren't made in Berlin, Vienna sausages (I think that Americans call them Wieners) that weren't made in Vienna, Neapolitan ice cream that isn't from Naples or Steak Canadienne that isn't from Canada.
  •  

MichelleF82

Mary: Thank you so much for making sure Tatiana and I met. Still much trepidation about getting HRT, (mostly because of a possible move coming up) but it is such a relief to know it's an option. Also, to add to the food disscussion, you can't make Scotch outside of Scottland ;)

Tatiana: If my nerves don't fail me, I'll be meeting you at Pride (3 days! :O ). So excited, I can't evem decide on what to wear, probably a wardrobe change if I end up staying for the Drag show ;) .

All: Be prepared for Yoopers to laugh if you pronounce pasty with a long 'a' sound. As innocent as our country side seems, everybody know those are what you put on nipples. I was born here and I have slipped up a few times, lol.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: MichelleF82 on September 12, 2018, 03:07:02 PM
Mary: Thank you so much for making sure Tatiana and I met. Still much trepidation about getting HRT, (mostly because of a possible move coming up) but it is such a relief to know it's an option. Also, to add to the food disscussion, you can't make Scotch outside of Scottland ;)

Tatiana: If my nerves don't fail me, I'll be meeting you at Pride (3 days! :O ). So excited, I can't evem decide on what to wear, probably a wardrobe change if I end up staying for the Drag show ;) .

All: Be prepared for Yoopers to laugh if you pronounce pasty with a long 'a' sound. As innocent as our country side seems, everybody know those are what you put on nipples. I was born here and I have slipped up a few times, lol.

@MichelleF82
Dear Michelle:
I know that you have most likely already been around the various Forum threads and most probably have a feel for what HRT can do. 
Certainly trepidation and fear is very normal for those thinking hard about beginning HRT....   
...and should be addressed with a therapist....

Ahh, the famous and frequently incorrect pronunciation of Pasty, as in a meat pie...
The Cornish Pasty (a small meat pie) arrived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (U.P.) in the 1840s, just a few years after Michigan's present-day boundaries were carved out of the former Northwest Territory. ... Experienced miners from Cornwall immigrated to help develop the mines, bringing pasty-making with them.
And as you correctly pointed out, a Pasty pronounced with a long-A as in the word "hasty" is a much different thing.

I will be looking so forward to the updates of your Pride day when you meet up with Tatiana....
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

Tatiana 79

Hello Michelle
I'm glad you're going to try to make it to Pridefest.
Yes indeed it's coming up fast and no need to worry about your nerves,
You'll be among friends even though we all didn't meet each other yet. I'm sure you can find something within your comfort zone to wear.
I have never met any trans people at all before, let alone a whole Park full of them, but I imagine we will feel right at home there just like Susan's.
And if we hook up there I'd like both of us to meet Marissa.
I personally know without her I still would be stuck on the 6th floor at Marquette General with no treatment, just like I have been getting for the last 10 years.
And I think you would enjoy meeting her also, she seems to be quite the advocate for Trans rights and she's the one that led me to my doctor, that's extremely trans-friendly.
I know that it's a little drive for you coming from your side of the UP,
But I don't think you'd find any better doctor closer to you but I'm sure we can ask Marissa to know for sure, but even if you had to drive in to Marquette to see her I believe you would find it worth it. I got started on HRT on the second visit only 4 weeks from the first time I seen her and I'm sure you would probably have similar results to, when you're ready.

And gosh I didn't know there was a drag show later on. Normally I  would go over the top just for the drag show but I probably won't being I'll have to be there that way for the whole time.
I'll be the tall lanky long hair old dude(56) with my hot little blonde punk rock wife, with a rainbow in her hair, that's about a foot shorter than me.
  It shouldn't be too hard to find us I'm like 6 ft 2 in and she's like five foot even. But they'll be 3 of us because my first and best girlfriend up here is also coming along.
  I'm not going presenting as female there because I'm not ready to at this early stage.
As you know we've been having some pretty nice hot summer weather and the forecast for Saturday is 80° but with a 40% chance of rain so I'll probably just have my old 1970s cut off short pants on, with my towns name on my t-shirt. I don't think I'm going to bring anything else for the drag show but if it was just the drag show, I sure would, just like when the Vista theater in Negaunee has Rocky Horror Picture Show play going on. I always go there as Magenta.
But unfortunately I don't think they're having it this year so I'll just have to go out for Halloween.
  We'll keep our eyes peeled for you dear, I'm sure we'll find each other because it's not that big. And yes, I'm getting excited to.
I definitely hope to see you there.
Love Tatiana

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Tatiana 79
Dear Tatiana:
I am excited to hear that you may get a chance to meet @MichelleF82 at the Pride event.
As I mentioned in my reply to her, I will be looking so forward to the updates of both of your Pride Day attendance.
Pictures are always nice as well, but only post pictures if you feel comfortable doing so.

I will be eagerly awaiting your Pride Day updates.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Tatiana 79

•  

Andi H

Sorry I'm not on here much, just been busy with life!... just want to add, as others luckilily beat me to it, you are definitely not alone!!
Hope things are well,
Andi[emoji272][emoji259][emoji258][emoji883][emoji217]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

•