Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What qualifies you for HRT?

Started by Lucca, May 15, 2018, 06:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucca

Before I really dive into therapy again, I wanted to ask exactly what it is that therapists (and other gatekeepers) actually look for or require you to do when determining if you should receive hormone therapy or not. (I don't want to sound like I'm planning to be dishonest in order to "game the system," which I'm certainly not going to do, but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that.) I'm feeling more and more like I should transition, but I'm worried that since I didn't have blatant dysphoria going back to my childhood, I won't "qualify." I don't have a stereotypical history of sneaking off to wear girls' clothing or anything, I didn't always "know I was really a girl." There's plenty of stuff I can look back on now and think that gender dysphoria may have had something to do with it, but it's nothing I thought of in any gender context at the time. I've also heard that you have to transition full-time before receiving HRT, but I've also heard of people not transitioning at all before receiving it, so I'm not sure what's up with that, either.

So, just how stringent or picky are therapists and other gatekeepers in whether they'll prescribe HRT or not? Do you have to already exhibit a lot of female mannerisms and appearance first? Is there a certain narrative you have to fit? Can you feel very certain that you want to transition for several months, but then tell your therapist something about yourself that makes them go "No, no, you're definitely not transgender and shouldn't transition, here's what you need to do instead"? I live in the U.S, I'm sure it's different depending on what country you're from.
  •  

AnonyMs

It's also different according to the person you see. Unless you know someone who's been to that therapist before the only way to find out is to go and to see what happens yourself,
and then you'll you'll know, for better or worse.

If you know your trans, and definitely want hrt you might be able to go to an informed concent provider.

This is worth reading
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,162266.0.html
  •  

Devlyn

My doctor said "The decision to start HRT is yours. My job is to safely administer it to you."

I thought about telling the Standard Trans Narrativeā„¢ but went with the truth instead: "I'm genderfluid, present female but still embrace my male side. I'm looking for feminization of my body."

I had hormones in hand a week later.

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

Deborah

I just told the truth which was more or less the standard trans narrative.  However, I exhibited nothing really remotely feminine because I had spent my whole life trying to wipe any of that away.  We both concluded I was trans on the second visit and I got the HRT letter on the third visit after signing all the informed consent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Doreen

Well.. osteopenia, and perimenopause for one.  Found a FNP that deals with HRT in the phone book, booked an appointment, told him I needed HRT, and what doses.  He complied.  Lol.  Simple as that. 

I also kinda schedule my own blood work & hormone tests.  Then again he views me as some kind of strange magical faerie creature .  I might be   :angel:
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: Deborah on May 15, 2018, 08:03:14 PM
I just told the truth which was more or less the standard trans narrative.  However, I exhibited nothing really remotely feminine because I had spent my whole life trying to wipe any of that away.  We both concluded I was trans on the second visit and I got the HRT letter on the third visit after signing all the informed consent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the same as me. Finally told the truth and on the third visit, viola. Now almost two years in. No depression. No bad attitude. Made new friends, something I had not been able to do since '97 when I moved to WA.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lucca

Thanks for the replies. Here's another question, more about making your own personal decision: how certain do you have to be that your problems need to be solved with a gender transition to actually go through with one? Or to put it another way, does a gender transition have to be a "last resort" that you only do when there's no other option left to try? Or should other avenues be explored first? Or is it always the only option once you've had a bout of identifiable, obvious gender dysphoria?

I'm just having a hard time identifying if it's what I truly want. I went to see one therapist about a variety of issues including my gender dysphoria, but she wanted to focus on it so much that I felt my other problems were being ignored, and she wouldn't let me try to find ways to deal with them that weren't linked to my transgender feelings in some way. Then I went to a different therapist and didn't mention gender dysphoria at all, and that didn't really help because I felt like I was hiding something integral. So, I'm having a hard time finding a therapist who will help me sort this all out.
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Lucca on May 15, 2018, 10:48:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here's another question, more about making your own personal decision: how certain do you have to be that your problems need to be solved with a gender transition to actually go through with one? Or to put it another way, does a gender transition have to be a "last resort" that you only do when there's no other option left to try? Or should other avenues be explored first? Or is it always the only option once you've had a bout of identifiable, obvious gender dysphoria?

I'm just having a hard time identifying if it's what I truly want. I went to see one therapist about a variety of issues including my gender dysphoria, but she wanted to focus on it so much that I felt my other problems were being ignored, and she wouldn't let me try to find ways to deal with them that weren't linked to my transgender feelings in some way. Then I went to a different therapist and didn't mention gender dysphoria at all, and that didn't really help because I felt like I was hiding something integral. So, I'm having a hard time finding a therapist who will help me sort this all out.

I had this evolutionary imperative to change.  No, really, my body was changing whether I wanted it to or not.. plus this incredibly earth shattering wrenching desire that shook the very roots & foundations of my soul to BE female, seen, as, etc.   I tried denying it for 2 years in college.  Then I embraced it, and never ever looked back.

•