Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How to achieve a female voice

Started by TranSketch, May 30, 2018, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryT

If you can't find an indoor place to practice, find somewhere outdoors, as quiet as possible.  An unfrequented area in a park, perhaps.  You won't look or sound crazy nowadays.  Hands free mobile phones are common and lots of people look as though they are talking to themselves. 

If you are self-conscious, hold a mobile 'phone in your hand.  A bonus is that your 'phone probably has a facility for recording your voice.  Especially if you can't use a voice app, you will need to play back recordings to evaluate your progress.

BTW OU812's advice about speaking softly has an additional benefit.  Even cis men, when they are talking gently to children or animals, often sound quite feminine.
  •  

Sarah1979

I tested my voice on Praat the other day after hearing about it here, and I'm well into the acceptable female range for pitch and F3, but what I think I need to work on now is volume, but not sure where to start on that, I see that the new edition of the transgender voice book is about to come out so I'll probably get that and hopefully can get some amplitude coming out(pun fully intended :P)
  •  

Miss Clara

I know many transgender women, and I have to say, almost none of them have achieved a female voice.  Without surgery it is nearly impossible to achieve if you have a deep male voice.  It takes training, commitment, and years of practice.  Even then, male resonance has a way of seeping through.  You can't completely overcome the acoustic characteristics of the air passages from chest to nose and mouth. 

Another thing I've noticed is that so many are embarrassed to even attempt to use a more female sounding voice around others.  I see this same thing in foreign language classes where the majority of students are embarrassed to adopt the accent of native speakers, and, sadly, will never pass as native speakers.  For anyone trying to develop a female voice, being self-conscious about using a feminine quality voice in the presence of friends and/or strangers is a sure path to failure. 

It does little good to practice your female voice on a part-time basis.  The reason is that you have to retrain the muscles involved in voice control to the point that they 'forget' their former habits.  It's all about muscle control to elevate pitch, eliminate chest resonance, and learn feminine speech patterns and intonation.  Frankly, many cannot do it, even with voice coaching.  It's both a talent and a skill born of proper technique and years of practice, practice, and more practice.

Having summarized the rather depressing reality of this challenge we all face in transition, don't give up.  Any honest effort you make to feminize your voice will be worth the effort, even if you can't achieve a completely passable female voice.  Pass-ability depends on a collection of feminine gender cues.  It is not necessary to erase every vestige of maleness from your voice, body, presentation, and mannerisms to be gendered as a woman.  You only have to tip the balance in your favor.
  •  

Sarah1979

I uploaded a sample of myself in the "Does my voice pass" thread so you can judge for yourself, I'm going off of other's reactions to me online and on the phone, and no one seems to question it, I get "miss" every time.
  •  

MissyMay2.0

Quote from: Clara Kay on August 16, 2018, 11:13:06 AM
I know many transgender women, and I have to say, almost none of them have achieved a female voice.  Without surgery it is nearly impossible to achieve if you have a deep male voiceIt takes training, commitment, and years of practice.  Even then, male resonance has a way of seeping through.  You can't completely overcome the acoustic characteristics of the air passages from chest to nose and mouth. 

Another thing I've noticed is that so many are embarrassed to even attempt to use a more female sounding voice around others. I see this same thing in foreign language classes where the majority of students are embarrassed to adopt the accent of native speakers, and, sadly, will never pass as native speakers.  For anyone trying to develop a female voice, being self-conscious about using a feminine quality voice in the presence of friends and/or strangers is a sure path to failure.

It does little good to practice your female voice on a part-time basis.  The reason is that you have to retrain the muscles involved in voice control to the point that they 'forget' their former habits.  It's all about muscle control to elevate pitch, eliminate chest resonance, and learn feminine speech patterns and intonation. Frankly, many cannot do it, even with voice coaching.  It's both a talent and a skill born of proper technique and years of practice, practice, and more practice.

Having summarized the rather depressing reality of this challenge we all face in transition, don't give up.  Any honest effort you make to feminize your voice will be worth the effort, even if you can't achieve a completely passable female voice.  Pass-ability depends on a collection of feminine gender cues.  It is not necessary to erase every vestige of maleness from your voice, body, presentation, and mannerisms to be gendered as a woman.  You only have to tip the balance in your favor.
I started with a very deep voice, and I have achieved a female voice, so I feel that voice surgery should be a last resort if someone is not able to achieve a female voice after a few years of trying 100%. 

I feel that the embarrassment factor is what keeps a lot of trans women from developing a passable female voice. Transition in and of itself is extremely uncomfortable, so why be embarrassed about trying your best to develop your female voice in public, I say just embrace the "duckling" phase and put your whole true self out there for the world to see, and don't let your ego stop you from being your authentic self!

It may take a few years to fully develop your female voice (total immersion 24/7 until your female voice becomes your default voice, so depending on one's circumstances, it may require that one is living full-time as a woman), but that time will pass anyway; and VFS will not guarantee that you will have a female voice, and from what I understand, even with the surgery you still have to train your voice.

•  

MissyMay2.0

Quote from: bloo11 on August 16, 2018, 12:00:22 PM
Defo start by pushing your Adam's Apple up, holding it, and talking. It hurts a lot at first, but keep doing it. After you train that muscle for so long, you'll be able to speak like s woman on command - it's like midway between whispering and speaking as you normally would. Eventually you won't be able to sound male.

Me, rambling about 4 years of transition:

That is my more resonant voice, which I use more than my trained voice. I sound super-natural, and dudes constantly compliment my voice.
The AA technique is what worked for me, and also using diaphragmatic breathing (it helped me to eliminate the chest voice [gently contract your diaphragm while speaking, and try not to end your sentences in your chest]).
  •  

Sarah1979

The use of the diaphragm I believe is where I need to concentrate now, I think I need to just push more air to get more volume, then maybe I can start working on intonation and phrasing, fortunately my voice is the one area of my transition that I'm actually semi happy with and rather enjoying the practice. :D
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: bloo11 on August 16, 2018, 12:00:22 PM
Defo start by pushing your Adam's Apple up, holding it, and talking. It hurts a lot at first, but keep doing it. After you train that muscle for so long, you'll be able to speak like s woman on command - it's like midway between whispering and speaking as you normally would. Eventually you won't be able to sound male...

That is my more resonant voice, which I use more than my trained voice. I sound super-natural, and dudes constantly compliment my voice.

I've noticed immediate improvement after holding my voice box up.
  •  

Maid Marion

https://blog.bufferapp.com/why-practice-actually-makes-perfect-how-to-rewire-your-brain-for-better-performance
The takeaway: practicing skills over time causes those neural pathways to work better in unison via myelination. To improve your performance, you need to practice FREQUENTLY, and get lots of feedback so you practice CORRECTLY and enhance the right things.

If TGs could practice with each other over the Internet in real time, and honestly critique each other, they may be able to achieve the voices they desire.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I wonder if systematic choral training for altos and sopranos can help with MTfemale voice development.  A skilled performing arts teacher coaches groups with a lot of training and practice in this situation.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Alice V

Though I still can't go for HRT I decided to at least practice voice (which isn't affected by hormones anyway, as far as I know). I'm at very start. What do you think about EVA app? Seems good with lectures and practice tools.
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

josie76

I've used two apps for reference.

Voice Pitch Analyzer works good for graphing your range as you speak or read as passage. It gives you averages and compared past recordings to recent ones.

Vocal Pitch Monitor gives you a real time graph of your speech compared to notes and frequency.

I have focused mainly on holding my larynx up as high as I can. Over the last year or so I have built up those upper muscles and the lower ones to the chest have less pull on it now. My voice raised from just below C3 to just below C4. If I don't think about it and speak relaxed I now average 180htz. If I am thinking about it I can comfortably speak and even yell at the 200 htt average zone.

All that doesn't take away that bass in my voice that very few women have. I don't know if it's the size of the larynx cartilage chamber or not. Seems like the vocal cords would be more just the pitch control. There is just that sound I cannot get out of my voice. My voice isn't real masculine but it's not normal feminine either. I still get Mr on the phone.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Alice V

For real time graph I'm using gram50 for Windows. Voice pitch analizer... I can rarely use it due they give me too complicated texts >_< I can't read it without stumbling on every 3 words XD

Josie I think you did great :) keep working, you inspiring me :)
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

Virginia

Lots of good advise on pitch but no advice on practice for developing feminine speech patterns and intonation. Deep Stealth offers an amazing ***FREE*** workbook full of boring, repetitive, HIGHLY EFFECTIVE exercises (My previous post was removed the link to the free workbook includes a link to the companion course they sell so you will have to search for Gender Life's "Finding Your Female Voice")
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

TaraJo

My voice seems to pass fairly well.  For me, I've always been working some kind of job where I'm on the phone most of the day and that's REALLY great practice.  If have an androgynous name (or go with your initials), you just listen to what the person on the other end genders you as for an indication whether you pass or not.  Even if you don't have an especially andro name and can't use your initials, the other person will probably subconsciously gender your voice.

Right now it's a little funny.  I give my name over the phone and everyone seems to mishear it.  They never seem to call me "Tara."  The most common name they seem to give me?  Karen.  Well, if they're going to mishear my name, at least they're giving me a name with the correct gender. 

But in all seriousness, yeah, any job where you're talking on the phones for several hours is great voice practice.  It takes the visual cues out of the 'do I pass' equation and puts it all on voice.  I've also found that one of the biggest tricks to passing with voice isn't always achieving a natural sounding female voice, it's maintaining it.  This is something else this kind of work can help with.  You really learn to maintain it because the second you drop your guard, you become George the big, burly man-thing in the eyes of the caller.  Ok, yeah, that might sound like it sucks, but, really, keep your guard up for a while and your new voice becomes your natural voice.  Sometimes you might be able to raise your pitch a bit or something, but you'll still pass even if your guard is down.
  •  

Katie

One of the fastest ways to get a female voice is to ACTUALLY start living full time. The voice will change reasonably when the guy is gone.............
  •  

TaraJo

Quote from: Katie on September 24, 2018, 05:38:24 AM
One of the fastest ways to get a female voice is to ACTUALLY start living full time. The voice will change reasonably when the guy is gone.............

I wish I could say this was true.  Unfortunately, I've met more than a few trans women who have been full time but still have voices so deep you would swear they're trying to immitate Barry White.

Full time or not, it takes practice.  And to start things, the most important thing early on is learning to control our voices.  Most people go their whole lives without ever having to think about voice control, but if you want your voice to pass, you don't get that luxury (hell, it even seems to help trans guys pass better if they learn to make their voices deeper).  Just learn to talk with your head and not your chest; it's all about the part of your voice box you're actually using when you speak.
  •  

DawnOday

Talk like an ventriloquist. No, not a joke. The same principles apply. Diaphragmatic breathing
Pitch
Forward resonance 
https://www.susans.org/wiki/Voice
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Russngrl

Hi ladies,

I've been using femalevoiceclub.com.   It's a web based m2f voice training system run by a voice therapist in California.  You receive a link to a weekly lesson on the web site and there are enough lessons for a year and a half.   The best part is you can send her a recording of your voice as you progress and she will critique the sample.

So far, it seems to be helpful
  •  

Russngrl

TaraJo has a point.   I'm not fulltime but I do volunteer as a receptionist at a local nonprofit.   Which means I answer the phone a lot.   My voice was doing well the day I was gendered three times by different callers.  Another day, it didn't feel quite right and the callers didn't say anything.
  •