Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wigs

Started by Katie V, June 22, 2018, 09:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katie V

Hopefully this is in the right area...  So, wigs.  I'm not in any kind of position yet where my natural hair would even come close to passing muster (length, thickness etc.) so I'm looking at wig options.  Mostly something that is relatively inexpensive but still looks good.  I'm not opposed to paying a bit more for quality but obviously don't want to break the bank.  What company or brand has worked for you ladies?  Thanks in advance.
  •  

KathyLauren

I am in the same position hair-wise.  I don't know anything about brand names.

I would suggest avoid anything much under $100.  Good wigs are about $150 and up, way up.  It is best to try them on in person before buying.  Online merchants usually have restrictions on returns: typically, you can try it on once at home and return it if it doesn't fit.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Susan Baum

Hi, Katie
Kathy's right - avoid mail order. Hair can be an important part of any woman's image and (personal experience speaking) "cheap" wigs tend to look just that way and may be all but impossible to maintain and style.

There are decent wig stores in even small- to mid-size cities throughout most of the USA where you can try on different styles, sizes and colors and their staffs and stylists are most helpful. I imagine most are very discrete - especially since most serve cancer patients and survivors but there are exceptions...

Be sure to look at and read on-line reviews and be sure to call first.

Susan

Aging is inevitable - growing up is optional.
  •  

Lyric

Well, the bad news is you need to start saving up your pennies. The bank may be doomed. Unless you have very poor eyesight or very poor tastes you'll need to spend some substantial money to wear a wig that looks good on you and convincingly like your own hair.

The usual scenario is that a wig wearer buys a succession of less expensive wigs that do not satisfy her before graduating to more expensive ones and even then it may take a few tries to be happy with it. Believe it or not the cheapest way to go might be to just start by going to a top notch wig source and having the custom make a pretty expensive wig for you in the first place. My current favorites are Milano wigs in LA & NYC and, secondarily, Model Lace Wigs in Las Vegas. It really helps to go in rather than try and order online. Online ordering of wigs almost always brings disappointments.

But, then again, if you're one of the surprisingly many TG people I run across here who seem to satisfy themselves with a cheap plastic costume wig, go for it. Just know that nobody with good eyesight is not going to instantly peg you as crossdresser.

ADDITION:
Oh, and a little more info-- the normal lifespan for a top quality human hair wig worn full time is about two years. Synthetics are lucky to make it few months. I don't recommend synthetics, though. They really only exist because they are cheaper to manufacturer. Human hair is the only way to go as I see it.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

RoryL

As others have noted, I also recommend skipping the cheap wigs thing. They're really not worth the "savings" for many of the reasons everyone else has already posted.

That being said, I do have a couple of synthetic wigs that look good. One cost me about $300 and the other around $250. The more expensive one I bought from a local wig shop when I didn't know what I was doing. It looks good but the cap is too small. It's a hard front and gives me a splitting headache after wearing it for just an hour or two. The less expensive one I bought online from a website that had a ton of good reviews. It's a larger cap lacefront and is really comfortable to wear. That's the one that several hairstylist friends have told me looks "real".

Finally, I just picked up a custom human hair topper from a local wig maker. That one cost me just over $1200. Sticker shock, for sure. But, it looks the best even before it's been cut & styled. It also feels & looks the most "real". Got my remaining hair dyed to match the topper and will hopefully get the topper cut tonight. As far as styling, I need to purchase some hot rollers and a decent flat iron. Probably will get the rollers first, as I prefer my hair curly and they're a lot cheaper than a good flat iron. The only thing other than the expense I don't like about my new topper is that I let the wig maker cut bangs into it - I had previously told her I prefer an oblique bang but she cut a straight bang. Yech! My hairstylist friend assured me that he can mitigate the straight bang a little.

Best of luck as you explore your hair options!
"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•  

WishnHopeN

I've been ordering from hollywoodlace in Florida for a good ten years.  I only wear all lace wigs that I glue on.  These things don't come off in the water, rain, wind, or bungee jump.  However, I find that they require a lot of work to maintain and tangle easier than naturally growing hair.  They are real hair and need lots of oil, I use silicone intimacy lube.  Sounds bonkers now that I'm writing it but yeah.  I've also used coconut cooking oil but it gets dirty faster.  Two things that are constant for me are little blops of wig glue everywhere and shedded hairs.  BUT!  I'm pretty happy with them.  They run a good $500 a piece and if I'm really gentle one wig lasts a year but I'm rarely that gentle.  I could make a detailed post about my experience if people are interested. 

•  

KatieP

Quote from: WishnHopeN on March 27, 2019, 08:39:41 PM
I've been ordering from hollywoodlace in Florida for a good ten years.  I only wear all lace wigs that I glue on.  These things don't come off in the water, rain, wind, or bungee jump.  However, I find that they require a lot of work to maintain and tangle easier than naturally growing hair.  They are real hair and need lots of oil, I use silicone intimacy lube.  Sounds bonkers now that I'm writing it but yeah.  I've also used coconut cooking oil but it gets dirty faster.  Two things that are constant for me are little blops of wig glue everywhere and shedded hairs.  BUT!  I'm pretty happy with them.  They run a good $500 a piece and if I'm really gentle one wig lasts a year but I'm rarely that gentle.  I could make a detailed post about my experience if people are interested.

I would be interested. As a 100% time wig wearer, I am always looking for better options.

I looked at the HollywoodLace web site. Clearly, they did not spend much on it.  ;D It was difficult to learn much from their site, and clearly it is focused on men, making it a bit harder still.

Do you leave your wig on for weeks at a time, as their web site suggests is possible?

The lace and lace front wigs I have done in the past are a ton of work to do each morning/night, to put on, take off, remove tape and glue. I have sacrificed look for convenience. But if I could wear them for even 7 days at a time, it might work.

And, maybe I just need to do a bunch more research and testing. I am not the most patient. So, anything I can learn from you would be fabulous!!

Thanks!!

Kate
  •  

davina61

My wig is synthetic but everyone thinks its real, not much use to you as in UK but for anyone that is here its Embrace (they do all sorts of stuff for cancer sufferers ) . Not cheap at £200 but the cap is a good fit and I never use tape to hold it in place.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Peach

Like davina said, there are a lot of synthetic wigs that they pass perfectly as natural hair. When I started my transition, I had short hair, and I used inexpensive hair extensions and when doing braids, nobody suspected. It also depended on the hairstyle.

•  

Kalandrina

Personally i went to a make over artist who had a load of wigs to try on ranging from 25 to 350 pounds. Once we found a style that suited she ordered 10 wigs in similar styles for me to try on, i choose the best one that made me feel good and returned the others. Was good to get someone else's view, and also have a makeover at same time.
  •  

Wendi

I went to a local will shop for a fitting. I ended up buying 2 wigs that I really like. Total was around 1k but it's worth it for me as I want to look as real as I can.

I remember the days of old when I'd get cheap wigs. They didn't fit nearly as well and certainly didn't look as good either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•