Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How did you choose your name?

Started by CuriousCat94x, July 03, 2018, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rae321

Lol, is my laundry getting on nerves yet?  I swear i didn't drink all the booze and i have nothing to do with that mess in the bathroom! 🤣
Actually i have. 
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,245864.0.html
Im going to post my progress and thoughts there as i go. 
  •  

V M

Let's try to stay on topic friends

Thank you

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Rae321

Quote from: V M on April 20, 2019, 02:31:47 PM
Let's try to stay on topic friends

Thank you

V M
You are quite right, thank you for reigningme in a little.  I recognized that i was hijacking the thread and apologized but you know how sometimes you start creating a trainwreck and yet can't stop...?

Soooo on topic. I didn't quite get from your post, when you worked out your female name did you assume the name of that girl from church? And if you did, did she ever know?  I have wondered about how cis freinds and family feel when we name ourselves after them. They're always so happy when children are named after them but an adult assuming their name feels like it would be treated differently.
  •  

Canerfice

I chose the name Zoey, because of a YouTuber/Twitch streamer that I really admire. She is very open about being a lesbian and highly supports anyone in the LGBT community. Her and her partner are super cute together. She has a very bubbly personality and I am always cheered up when watching her streams or videos.
Zoey
SSgt, USAF (ret)

•  

Chloe

Quote from: Megan. on July 03, 2018, 11:05:20 PM
I was fairly practical about it. I chose a name that:

- Shared the same initial letter as my birth name.

- No-one else I knew already had.

- Looked at popular girls names for the year of my birth  . .

@CuriousCat94x I did somewhat similar but you must keep in mind things change, and choices can too . . . 

Both my 1st and middle names have feminine equivalents after starting there one can look at " babynamewizard dot com" and see historically related names in their "Sister & Brother Names" tab. I decided to keep initials and perhaps just change middle to "Chloe" ?
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

RileyWolf

I'm a bit of a nerd, lol, and I named myself after a Dungeons & Dragons character I made up.  I created a non-binary character named Riley and had a great time roleplaying them...sort of subtly testing the waters before finally coming out to myself and my friends and chosen family.  It's silly to some, that I would choose a name from a fictional character I created, but in a way that character was actually me far more than even I realized at the time.  When people started asking me if I had a new preferred name I didn't even hesitate and simply said, "Riley".
  •  

F_P_M

I'm agonising over this.

on the one hand, keeping my initials would be waaaaay easier and part of me likes the idea of just masculinising my birth name (both first and middle) and rolling with it because it'd be "familiar, just a little different" which appeals to me and would be a lot easier for everyone to adjust to.

but another part of me wants to incorperate the name my parents would have given me had I been a boy. Problem is, that has the same first initial as my husband and he doesn't like shared initials because it makes mail really confusing.
And Mr R and Mr R really WOULD be confusing.

So right now i'm leaning toward "The same but different" approach
  •  

IWish

Just always loved the name Carrie.....and so does my GF , go figure.

IWish
  •  

F_P_M

I brought this up with other half, he vetos Ryan because Mr R and Mr R is too confusing ahahahaha.

I'm leaning toward Jenner Marin purely because it's SO CLOSE to my birthname (Jenna Marie) that anyone accidentally deadnaming me I probably won't even notice and because the short form is identical, it should be easier for everyone to adapt.

Gotta love the lazy approach to renaming hahahaha.

My parents always said they'd have called me Ryan had I been a boy (I asked when I was young apparently. I wonder why, a lot of my cis friends haven't a clue what their parents would have called them because they never asked but I did and loved that I knew my "boy name" )
I assume, as my grandfather did this EVERY grandson that was born, would have suggested Samuel as a middle name (the name he went by, not a clue why as it wasn't his birth name or his middle name or anything, he just liked it and decided to go by it)

So Ryan Samuel is likely to have been my name.

And I like it, it's a nice solid name but yeah, Husband doesn't want two Rs and his middle name is S too so it'd be R S and SUPER confusing.

He does have a point. Also I figure it'd be WAY harder to get everyone to swap to a totally completely different name. It'll be SO MUCH easier to just stay "Jen"
  •  

Kalandrina

I choose the name Kalandrina when i was looking for a name for an online game i played 20 years ago tho it was spelt Calandrina at first. But over the last 20 years the C gave way to a K and has since stuck and is the name i now go by. Its also highly unique as i only every seen 1 person use it and its easily shortened by friends as Kally. My 2 middle names, and yes i went for 2 probably because i had 2 male middle names i choose Kayleigh Emilia.
  •  

Anil

I asked my partner to name me.  I figured that's how most people get named - somebody who loves you decides and you have no choice in the matter.  My partner is Indian, and so he chose a Sanskrit name for me: Anil (pronounced "Uneel").  It means Air, and is the name of a God of the Wind.
  •