Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Hair extensions questions

Started by natalie.ashlyne, July 28, 2018, 05:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natalie.ashlyne

Hi I am wondering for all those that have had hair extensions which are the best? How long do/did they last? Do they require a lot of maintenance? Did the look and feel natural? I have an appointment monday morning to get them so I am curious
  •  

DotSlashNatalie

Quote from: natalie.ashlyne on July 28, 2018, 05:54:51 PM
Hi I am wondering for all those that have had hair extensions which are the best? How long do/did they last? Do they require a lot of maintenance? Did the look and feel natural? I have an appointment monday morning to get them so I am curious

It really depends on what you want and which ones you get. I've been told the ones that are in pieces are better as it allows you to better spread the extensions where you want but does take longer and may require an extra hand (I've always had a friend put mine in). I really loved these.

When I had shorter hair I needed 2 packs of these to cover my head .

I can send you some pictures via PM if you are curious on how it looked.

I've worn both to the club a number of times and I've been very sweaty but while some strands of "hair" have come off they have lasted (and no awkward embarrassing hair loss while dancing either :P). I last saw my friend wearing the purple one so it must still be good and last a long time :P.

If it's synthetic, like the ones I've linked, I think you will need to get a special hair straightener (or at least one that is a lower temperature).
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: natalie.ashlyne on July 28, 2018, 05:54:51 PM
@natalie.ashlyne
Hi Natalie,

I don't have any experience BUT @Emma-f has keratin bonded extensions in her hair which you can see in her current avatar and other pics she has posted over the last 2 weeks - she even talked about them in a post when we were asking her about them not that long ago - I will try and find the post.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,235791.msg2154572.html#msg2154572

Hope this helps,

Sonja.
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

Thank you Natalie for your response  :)

and also thank you Sonja I totally forgot about where I read that from Emma-f   I remembered I read it somewhere but thank you for attaching it and reminding me :)
  •  

Julia1996

Be careful. I don't do hair extensions and the salon where I work doesn't offer them. But I have seen the damage done by extensions. You need to make sure you have them done by someone who knows what they are doing. The extensions need to be distributed evenly. If too much weight is put on the hair it will break off. Like if someone applies to many extensions to one area and doesn't distribute the weight evenly. And hair extensions can cause permanent baldness. When you have extensions attached to your own hair it puts constant stress on your  hair. Your real hair is constantly being pulled. Even if it's not hard enough to hurt. Over time that stress can cause permanent damage to the hair follicle and the hair won't grow back. It's called traction Alopecia. It also can happen to those who wear very tight ponytails constantly and especially tight cornrows.

I don't mean to be a downer but I thought you needed to know about the possible damage. I know hair is important but the idea is to grow your own hair out. Not possibly causing more hair loss. A wig is totally safe and causes no damage to your own hair.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

natalie.ashlyne

Hi Julia Thank you for that information no you are not a downer at all. I would rather here all the pro's and con's to everything than make an educated decision. I will definitely think about this. I do know that she is certified to do the extensions.  But again you did bring up a lot of valid point. :)
  •  

Virginia

I made my own clip-in extensions with human hair and clips from Sally's for about $20. My hair is a long layer shoulder length lob that works well for both me and my female alter. We wore the extensions for a good 6 months. They were prefect for getting through the awkward stage for the sides to catch up with the back. My female alter still uses them when she wants to go for a look with longer layers in the back.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

MissyMay2.0

The hairstylists I've asked about extensions said they are bad for natural hair; and that there is a lot of maintenance, so it can be an expensive investment. I've also been told that they don't feel natural, and you won't be able to comb your hair normally! Growing out your hair takes time and patience, but nothing can replace the look and feel of natural hair.  Have you considered clip in extensions; you can have them colored to match your natural hair, and your stylist can show you how to put them in.
  •  

Lyric

The clips, and, of course, semi-permanent attachments can certainly cause cumulative damage to your hair. However, there is one type of extension that isn't really damaging at all and is super easy to wear as well. It's often called a "Halo Loop". It's basically a length of hair sewn about halfway around a nylon circle of thread, maybe 6"-7" in diameter. It seems hard to use at first, but once you learn it's easy to put in. There are many YouTube videos on it. Basically the hair from the top of your head holds the loop in place by itself. Most people need no clips or fastening. When you wear it you really don't even feel anything, just the greater hair volume. Look it up.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Kymmie Lorain

I have thought of extensions a couple of times but thank you for the information. I am going to let my natural hair grow.

Kymmie
  •