Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Nails

Started by Coffeedrew, August 19, 2018, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffeedrew

I'm trying to figure out how to get my nails to look more feminine.  I try to do my nails myself because I can't really afford to go out and get them done professionally. I see most women have the same typical nail shape(not talking about the tip)(I am talking about the part that is on the finger) and the best way that I can describe my nails is they kind of look like a capital D shape that kind of widens out. Most of the nails I see it almost looks like the nail is up above the skin. I'm trying to figure out how to get my nails to naturally look like that. I can only push the skin so far back.I hope I am making sense and one more thing is all the tutorials on the internet people already have good looking nails and they just walk you through what they did. They don't have an example of bad nails that they make good looking.
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: Coffeedrew on August 19, 2018, 06:11:00 PM
Most of the nails I see it almost looks like the nail is up above the skin.
This is the result of manicuring to reduce the prominence of the cuticle, the contrast of color against the skin and the increased height from artificial tips applied over the natural nail.

The hallmark of male hands/nails is neglect. ANYTHING you do...hand cream, cuticle grooming, salt scrub/exfoliation to remove dead skin...will make them look more feminine.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Coffeedrew

I understand about the artificial nails, but how do cis woman achieve it?(I have heard comments like I don't have to pay for manicures )I asked the person and all they could tell me was push the skin back after I shower.  ???
Also is there any books on the subject or resources here on Susan's place?
I have made a habit of using this nightly  Sally Hansen  Vitamin E Nail & Cuticle oil.I try to keep a clear ridge filler on them called Nail strengthener and then I use a clear top coat.I cut and file them the best I can and I like the round shape, but it's just the feminine shape that I am after now  :)
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: Coffeedrew on August 19, 2018, 10:01:55 PM
I understand about the artificial nails, but how do cis woman achieve it?

You might consider picking up a pack of press on nails at the drug store to see if it give you the look you are seeking.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Faith

I wish I could help. I was blessed with nice shaped strong nails, even in guy mode (which I don't do anymore)

To aid, get some cuticle oils to improve health. Stick to strengthening clear coats for a while. It is helping my wife's nails immensely and she has very weak nails that tend to hide in her fingers. Much better now.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Mattie02

The suggestion of pushing back your cuticles, especially after a shower or bath, is a good one. Pick up an orange stick next time you are at the drugstore or beauty store. Using a product like OPI Nail Envy nail strengthener will also help to build up a good strong nail (added bonus, leaves a finish somewhere between satin and shine).

Ultimately, I know you said you can't really afford a trip to the nail salon, but that may be your best route to getting you on your way. A good, basic manicure shouldn't cost more than $15-25. Read reviews online and find a good, reputable shop. But if you can find your way in for a basic mani, that will allow the manicurist to shape your nail how you like, you can ask questions and observe the technique (for your nail shape!), and then it should be easier for you to replicate that as your nails grow out.
  •  

Coffeedrew

I'll have to end up rewarding myself that and go get one done one of these days.Thanks for suggesting that. :)
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Virginia on August 19, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
The hallmark of male hands/nails is neglect. ANYTHING you do...hand cream, cuticle grooming, salt scrub/exfoliation to remove dead skin...will make them look more feminine.
@Virginia Absolutely Correct!! LOL

Sonja
  •  

MsMarlo

Hi, sweetie.  There are some products you can get to your nails to grow and harden.  As a guitarist, I have a strange setup with my nails; I keep them cut down on my left hand and long on my right hand.  If I don't have a gig for a few days, I might let the left ones grow out but generally, I like to keep them trimmed ( and yes, I have a cow when I break one).  You can find some good products online at the place named after a forest; just be sure and read the reviews carefully.  Hope this helps!

MsM

•  

LizK

I have tried Biontin products and have had some success with them but have found that the best way to get you hands looking more fem is to......
Quote from: Virginia on August 19, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
This is the result of manicuring to reduce the prominence of the cuticle, the contrast of color against the skin and the increased height from artificial tips applied over the natural nail.

Virginia Nailed it here....

Moisturising your hands is simple and very effective...I use 3 coats of Sally Hansen Diamond Strength nail polish which takes about an hour to put on and harden. It leaves you with a really nice shine and a rock hard protective coat and well worth taking you time over. Most nailpolish will help a little with nail strength but I have noticed with the one I use I no longer end up breaking them when doing normal household duties.

File your nails but do not seasaw back and forth but in one fluid motion going in the same direction...you will damage the end of the nail because it chips the nail edge. A good nail file is worth is weight in gold

Liz

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Cindy

Virginia was spot on  - ( I avoided that terrible pun!)

But take it further moisturiser is cheap and the hands, face, neck will love you for a morning and night lather up from some moisturiser, and no one need know. However your skin will feel much better over even a short amount of time.

I use to have gel nails put on and yes they can look pretty sexy. I use to have them done even when I was in guy mode during the early days. No one ever said anything but since I liked bright purple I think people noticed. It was good training for 'not giving a damn'  :laugh:
  •  

Coffeedrew

I used to be a nail biter my hands have healed pretty good but my thumbs have these awful ridge's in them.Does anyone know what that could be from? Is it permanent damage  ???
  •  

Kymmie Lorain

Thanks for all the tips. recently I have been letting my nails grow. I still have fear of breaking them. With my hobby and job I can break a nail and not know it. I know my nails can be weak. I will try the Sally Hanson stuff. I want to keep natural nails as the fake ones can look nasty. I saw a gg with long nails at work once. I was so grossed out when I saw the under side. it was so nasty looking.

Kymmie
  •  

Virginia

SH "Hard as Nails" works pretty well to prevent chipping/splitting. My wife picked me up a bottle of Essie clear matte top coat because I feel funny about the shine. Be sure to cover the full edge of the tips (OK to get on skin as it's clear and will wear off the skin). It's important to regularly file the tips with a FINE file. This part of the nail wears thin/weak with use and micro nicks will lead to splitting. Just a quick stroke; you  don't want to file faster than they are growing. Buffing with a nail block will help minimize ridges.

Even wearing gloves (work alot with my hands) it's takes a Herculean effort for me to maintain 1/8" of white. I remember my wife giving up her acrylics 15 years or so ago when "natural nails" were all the rage. The products cost more than artificial nails, required a tremendous amount of time, maintenance and caution to avoid breaking a nail, AND her hands weren't anywhere as pretty as they were with acrylics. She threw in the towel after about 6 months. 
  •  

Lyric

You obviously don't know enough teenage girls. I've worked a offices full of young women would love to help you do your nails. Make friends with an expert and get her to tutor you. Just keep complimenting women's nails and sooner or later you'll run into a nail fanatic who'll offer to help you with yours.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Maid Marion

I got up to a 1/4 inch of white before I decided I better trim them down.  At that length I found it harder to type.  >:(
While I do a ton of stuff with my hands, I've learned how to work very precisely.  As a kid I used to hurt myself all the time.  A knife would slip or I'd try to force something.  I'm become pretty good at not doing that.  I also bought some really sharp knives.

Properly fitting gloves makes a big difference, but it can be hard to find gloves that really fit. 

Yes, it is important to trim away any damage so the cracks don't get worse.  I constantly clean the dirt out of my fingernails so my nails look good without any nail polish.

I stubbed a toenail really bad.  It not only turned black but it grew very thick.  I fixed it on my own.  Perhaps you ought to see a doctor who works on ingrown nails to look at those nails damaged by biting.
  •  

Anastasia

My nails are the one area I am blessed with. My nails are very strong and fast growing. In three weeks, they can grow from fully cut( just s sliver of white) to 1/4 inch plus. I grew them out between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. All of my female family members were jealous (one was suspicious). My mom knows why I let them out but we don't discuss it. I have found keeping them filled keeps them from getting snagged and tearing, as mentioned earlier. In an emergency, I can file them on a concrete line on a brick wall,but the concrete gives way more than my nails.

Unfortunately, my work enviroment won't allow me to grow them out due to attitudes and that I am a food preparer. I would love to let them grow out and paint them. But oh well.such is life for now.
  •