Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Unisex hair styles?

Started by randim, August 23, 2018, 06:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randim

I am getting progressively more unhappy with the minimal male haircut I keep getting and getting.  I would love something a bit more femme but I'm not really out either and would need to function in male mode.  Oh, yea, I'm older than dirt too.  Are there short unisex hair styles that would work for either gender and be appropriate for seniors? Some type of pixie cut seems like a possibility.   Maybe it's time to go open kimono with my stylist or find a new one?  Anyone with experience with this type of look?
  •  

Dena

I haven't tried a style that can go both ways and I am currently working with a wedge cut/Dorthy Hamill cut which is short though it might be on the feminine side for what you intend. I would suggest that you look at Hair Finder and see if there is something you might be interested in.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Maid Marion

Can you grow your hair longer?  More hair would give the stylist more to work with.

If you are older I'd assume your hair is thinning.  Men tend to have a pattern baldness while women tend to thin more uniformly, which may be hard to hide.

People decide gender off general impressions.  Then they look at individual elements if they are uncertain.  Thus, they assume anyone who is really tall is a man, and anyone is short and petite is a woman.  You may want to choose your haircut to affect the general overall impression.
  •  

randim

Quote from: Maid Marion on August 24, 2018, 06:34:04 AM
Can you grow your hair longer?  More hair would give the stylist more to work with.

If you are older I'd assume your hair is thinning.  Men tend to have a pattern baldness while women tend to thin more uniformly, which may be hard to hide.

People decide gender off general impressions.  Then they look at individual elements if they are uncertain.  Thus, they assume anyone who is really tall is a man, and anyone is short and petite is a woman.  You may want to choose your haircut to affect the general overall impression.

I wear my hair somewhat longish for a old man, at least on top.  But changing styles would definitely involve some planning and discussions with a stylist, and time to grow out. There would be a number of challenges.  It is thinning, my hairline is very high and if it gets any length I have a wave in front that won't quit.  Realistically, a wig may be in my future.  But it's possible something the way Jamie Lee Curtis wears her hair might work.
  •  

Virginia

It depends on how much hair you have. I'm 58 and am fortunate to still have a full head of hair. I wear a shoulder length grunge that looks time warp 1969. We live in the US South so alot of good ol boys have long hair. People who don't know me assume I've worn it that way my entire life
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Jin

I am also well into the 'Geezer' club, old age is not for sissies!
I have long hair that just touches my shoulder blades, thinning but still thicker than most young people. If I want to be male, I let it fly wild or put it into a low ponytail. If I want to be female, I let it fly wild, put it into a high ponytail, braids. pigtails, messy bun, or even curled and styled.

And I don't really care much what anyone else thinks, I fix my hair for my own pleasure.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Mattie02

Do a search for pixie cuts for thin hair...usually some good inspiration there. I've always had baby fine hair that has issues staying attached to my head  8), even in my younger days when I had it grown out, permed, colored, and 3/4 of the way down my back (ah....youth....damn, I wish I could get some of that back, lol). Anyway, I've taken to the pixie route myself these days, with the occasional splash of color to boot...lavender has been a big hit! I figure if total strangers are saying nice things then something must be working  ;D
  •  

Lyric

I think you've got a lot more options than you realize, but you may need to modify your attitude a bit. I suspect I'm older than you are, but I would never consider trying to make myself look "appropriate for seniors". I've always prescribed to the idea of dressing and grooming the way I feel, not my age.

I've always been a hairstyle enthusiest and I really believe that almost any style can be "unisex" these days if you want. My hair is over 16 inches long right now and can be either styled femininly or worn in a ponytail easily enough. I worn many lengths and styles, but I prefer longer these days because it doesn't require those regular trips to the stylist for cuts.

As for wigs and such, you might manage with "topper". Many women wear these to fill out hair loss on top and you can even get them with lace fronts for when the hairline shows. A full wig is easier to deal with, of course.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •