Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Which hurts less

Started by Emma1017, August 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: KimOct on May 01, 2019, 08:47:27 PM
Moni per usual is right on the mark.  Emma, Kirsten, Gina and others.  We are not saying you are delusional or naive or even stupid.  You just have not lived it yet.  I remember not so long ago when I was planning my transition. I had this plan and that plan.  I envisioned how I would look and how I would pull off this life changing event.

Then reality hit me in the face.  There were the terrifying trips to Target ( a multi purpose store for those outside the US )  walking into a doctor's office presenting as female.  Filling my car with gas wondering if people were staring at me.  The interactions with cashiers calling me sir.  The trips through the fast food drive through being told - pull up to the next window SIR.

On and on and on.  It scared the $#!+ out of me.  It was so hard.  And then it gets tolerable.  And then it gets easier.
And then you start to think about things and realize it doesn't matter what people think.  You are living as you.

It took me about 2 years for the fear to disappear.  But it was gradual.  Now I realize that some people staring are impressed with my courage.  Others find me attractive. And others disapprove.  It doesn't matter.

And you know what?  Most people don't even pay attention they are absorbed with their own lives.

It takes time and practice to get here.  It is not because you lack courage.  It is because you lack experience.

That is what I am beating the drum about.  If you want experience pull up your big girl panties and DO IT.

I am only being a hard ass because I want you to live this.  When you get to the other side it is great !!  :)
Now that was a valuable snippet Kim. Im going to read it again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Emma1017

Kim you are truly like an older sister (or possible a football coach):)

I totally get that I need RLE as a woman but my point is slightly different.  I know I am transitioning.  I verbalize my constant doubts because I am looking for the easy way out and a solid reason to not transition.

There are none. 

I am just getting comfortable with my acceptance of who I truly am based on just being really and totally honest with myself.   Accepting that I am transgender has been challenging, accepting that I need to transition is even more daunting.

I am going to transition.

Regardless of when I have GCS, that fact is never going to change.  RLE will happen before GCS and RLE will happen after GCS but it will not determine whether I will have GCS.  I know I need to. 

My timeline is massively adaptable to my reality as it evolves.  I know there are many unforeseen obstacles to overcome but if there is one thing that I have gotten from everyone here who have transitioned, there are also many opportunities for joy and lasting happiness.  Those are what I will focus on. 

I want to look forward to the future, not fear it.  God knows that I have had a painful lifetime of fear, shame and guilt.  I believe that transitioning will be easier than that because the new fear, not passing, will be short lived.

It will corrected by RLE.

Right coach? ;D ;)

Big hug,

Emma
  •  

HappyMoni

Coach Dr. Kim, I can't keep up with all her titles. I am sorry to inform you of this sad reality. Unfortunately, I am home sick today and can find nothing better to do than to harass you. You lucky devil. I respect that you are so introspective. You see what you need to do. You know the things that will cause you heartache. I think you have kind of a black and white framework for how to proceed. So, why would I open my big yap? I am only an expert on my transition, no one else's. We have very different circumstances. But, I might be able to add a little color to that black and white framework. In this case, I think that once you make a decision to go ahead with something like a surgical procedure, it is no longer some vague idea on progress. It becomes something that seems to take forever to get to. Ask Liz, she's just been through 'the wait.' I spent countless hours on here trying to deal with the waiting time. I think knowing that it will happen in reality, something about it, makes it so hard to be patient. All I'm saying is plan well. Plan to try to eliminate delays. They might seem like nothing now when plans are vague a thought, but when you actually do the time, it sucks.
   My question from earlier is this. If I am correct, you felt like your partner was very vulnerable after losses to her family. Do you feel like she is still mentally at that same place? Do you see any opportunity to move forward with her?
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Emma1017

Coach Moni sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  Get well soon.

I agree that I will become increasingly impatient over time.  The example I used earlier in this thread was comparing a kid getting the Christmas catalog in September. 

My wife and I went through a lot of pain and loss together.  I know that she understands that I am not leaving her.  My concern is that she won't be able to stay with me if I transition but I believe that we just might be able to work in out.  This has been the major reason I have gone slowly and will continue to do so, out of sensitivity to what she has been through.  She is pretty tough, we love each other and we are our own best friends.

I hope she truly understands that I didn't choose this and that I have tried every viable option available to not transition.  I believe she will stay.
  •  

KimOct

Feel better Moni. 

Emma,  I know you want to transition.  I am positive of that fact.  There's just something I want to say to everyone.

Transitioning is not a dare, a badge of honor, a competition to be won, something to prove.

Transition is about living as our authentic selves but more importantly to be happy or at the very  least happier or finding some degree of peace.

There are trade offs.  This is not for everyone that has gender issues.  Gender issues are more extreme in some people compared to others.  I believe in a gender spectrum.  I myself fall somewhere between female and non binary in how I feel.  But I don't choose to be gender fluid (just not my cup of tea)

Back to the point.  Nobody HAS to transition. 

Emma, you frequently mention that you try to talk yourself out of transition but that you know that you must.
That is a choice that only you can make.  If you feel that complete transition is your only viable path you need to start moving forward. 

Make THE decision and if you are going to do this then talk to your wife. 

This state of limbo that you are in is going to drive you nuts.  Moving slowly is going to be an ineffective salve.

I am pretty much trying to push you into the swimming pool and yelling swim.  Not the nicest thing but standing on the edge of the pool for a long time can be excruciating.

I care about you a lot for someone that I have never met.  I don't say these things to be hurtful, I say them because I think they are good advice.

You don't have to transition or maybe you do.  I don't know.  You know if you do or don't. 
But if you are going to do it ..... do it. 

You love your wife.  She deserves to know what is going on and have her say.

I hate saying these things but I think they need to be said.   :'(

Much love and big hugs.
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

Emma1017

Ah Kim sooo you're a swimming coach ;)

You are the third person in 24 hours to "yell" at me to talk to my wife immediately: you, my therapist and my best friend on my job, Carol. 

Carol was the first one I told I was transgender.

Funny side story, a year ago she confronted me because I left the office regularly for "secret" meetings. She thought I was cheating on my wife.  Reacting with absolute shock I blurted out "I'm not cheating on my wife, I'm transgender and I am seeing a therapist."  Her reaction?  "Can I hug you?"....It was a really great hug.  She has been my confidante ever since (she is also a bully like Donna).  She strongly believes that  I won't be able keep to my long timeline of transition (although my analyst does)...hmm sound familiar Kim?

I should turn this into a "When is Emma finally going public and come out?" betting pool.  Not sure what the prize should be. 

I have to go out of town for the next two weeks with limited internet access.  My fearful intention has been to talk to my wife when I get back but absolutely not before.

Kim you get to yell at me in a month if I chicken out.

Hugs back,

Emma

•  

KimOct

Fair enough.  BTW I was on swim team in HS for ONE day.  I quit.  Too much swimming  ;D

Talking to your wife before a long trip would be insane so you definitely get a pass on that one.

And I don't entirely disagree with your time line either.  GCS in Oct 2020 sounds reasonable.  And hanging around your business before going full time for the benefit of your son is also reasonable.  To a point.  At some point you will have to let go of his hand regarding business and I realize some clients ( I assume that is the delay ) will have an issue with your gender.

What I am trying to push you on is a few things.

1.  Your wife.  You are making all kinds of plans.  You love her.  I have zero doubt of that.  But you are trying to ease her into this like a frog into boiling water.  Misguided intentions / love / hope / protecting her / etc etc.  It is still manipulation even if it is coming from the fact that you love her.   She is your equal.  She is an adult.  She loves you.
She deserves to be part of this life changing discussion / plan / trip.  The one thing we owe people in our lives is the truth.

2.  If Oct 2020 is the penciled in target date you have a lot to do sister.   :D  Going out more in public.  By yourself soon,  not just walking around shopping etc.  You need to run errands, interact with people etc.  Going straight from a couple of trips out with a support person to going full time is a fools errand.

This in between time is the worst.  Presenting as male one part of the day and female another part really sucks !!!
It is part of the deal.  You will survive, and you will learn.

THAT is what I am pushing you about.

I am so very happy that you take my tough love as what it is ... love.  I am this way because this is what helped me transition.  It is not for everyone but it's the only advice I know how to give.

HUGS   :) :)
  •  

Emma1017

ok ok ok I'll start of by apologizing.  I'm crying.  I have no special reason but I am... a couple of glasses of red wine and just a bone wearying sadness...maybe I am just tired of the strain or the pain or the thousands of other things we all are forced to deal with on top of just life.

Sorry I am using you all to vent.  I have no where to go with this.  If we were in a bar I would buy you a large glass of wine to listen to me.  Lousy deal for you.

I don't know if it is the HRT or just absolute sadness.  Why should I be sad?  I am finally finding ME!

I really hate crying or holy >-bleeped-< now sobbing...or maybe this is good?

Does this make any sense?

I'm really sorry to dump.

emma
  •  

KimOct

Emma it is fine. As we have talked about this is about you sharing EVERYTHING.  I am sure I contributed as a catalyst but I am not causing the feeling, (maybe lighting the spark ) but everything you have carried your entire life is bubbling up.

This is tough stuff.  I cried a bunch too when I was early on and I was divorced so I didn't have the added stress of a wife.

You are entitled to cry and to vent to us.  Others feeling the same way are seeing that they are not alone.  And those of us further down the path feel for you - we were there.

You are cared for.  Obviously your wife but friends like Donna, Carol and us.

But...... this has to come to an end.  Living like this is painful.  Stop the pain.
  •  

Emma1017

truly Kim I guess I just want to be left alone and it is absolutely not you, it is just everything.  I am glad I will be out of touch for the next two weeks...or maybe not.  I feel so mentally beat up.  I don't know that I can keep this up.  wow
  •  

Emma1017

I want me to leave me alone...
  •  

randim

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 03, 2019, 06:58:04 PM
ok ok ok I'll start of by apologizing.  I'm crying.  I have no special reason but I am... a couple of glasses of red wine and just a bone wearying sadness...maybe I am just tired of the strain or the pain or the thousands of other things we all are forced to deal with on top of just life.

Sorry I am using you all to vent.  I have no where to go with this.  If we were in a bar I would buy you a large glass of wine to listen to me.  Lousy deal for you.

I don't know if it is the HRT or just absolute sadness.  Why should I be sad?  I am finally finding ME!

I really hate crying or holy >-bleeped-< now sobbing...or maybe this is good?

Does this make any sense?

I'm really sorry to dump.

emma

Emma, I feel for you.  I will offer my unsolicited and not-worth-much opinion that crying isn't strange at all.  Your entire life is being upended, your long-term marriage is at risk, you face a hard road ahead in terms of treatments, expenses, etc., and I'm sure you have regrets for what might have been. Becoming Emma will not come without costs in a number of ways, and that's all worth more than a few tears.  But crying won't kill you, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or so I've heard. I hope you flush some of this out of your psyche and feel better tomorrow.  Virtual hugs to you.
  •  

KimOct

Emma do what you need to do, just let us know you are OK every so often if you step away for a bit.
  •  

Emma1017

Thanks Kim, Randim and all
  •  

Alice V

Everyone has moments when they need to be alone. Came back when you ready :)
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

HappyMoni

Emma,
   Get away from it for a bit. Calm your mind. In the long run, you are gonna be okay!
Love,
Moni

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Emma1017

Dear All:

I am going to be on a dive boat for the next two weeks and there is virtually no internet.  Good news for you all that I won't subject you to my emotional outbursts  ;) :)

Unfortunately, like the quote from the movie PAPILLON, "There is no escape from Devils Island." , I will be thinking about all of this most of the time.

I was mulling the pain our secret has been all our lives and pulled the following together and thought I would share:

We all have secrets.  Some are small, some are big and some are huge.  Ours is gigantic.

The number-one reason people keep secrets or lie is to "keep the peace." We hold onto secrets to keep other people happy, safe, set in their vision of the world, and in their vision of us.  "Lies" are the sturdiest walls that we humans erect within and around ourselves, thereby keeping ourselves trapped and wrapped in a wide range of limitations.

Shame, fear of embarrassment or fear of not being accepted often are the motivation behind keeping something secret.

According to Scientific American: "It hurts to keep secrets. Secrecy is associated with lower well-being, worse health, and less satisfying relationships. Research has linked secrecy to increased anxiety, depression, symptoms of poor health, and even the more rapid progression of disease. There is a seemingly obvious explanation for these harms: Hiding secrets is hard work. You have to watch what you say. If asked about something related to the secret, you must be careful not to slip up. This could require evasion or even deception. Constant vigilance and concealment can be exhausting.

New research, however, suggests that the harm of secrets doesn't really come from the hiding after all. The real problem with keeping a secret is not that you have to hide it, but that you have to live with it, and think about it.

The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology actually has come up with a magic number of secrets nearly everyone is keeping. The magic number is 13. And although all 13 secrets aren't 100% unconfessed, the average person is living with 5 secrets that NO ONE knows!

The Atlantic reported: "Previous research has shown that keeping secrets is linked to lower well-being. It was thought that the reason is just that many of our secrets are negative, and thinking about negative things is a bummer. That's probably true (though it's worth noting that positive secrets, like surprises, likely work differently), but this study found another reason, one more specific to secrecy: Thinking of secrets means thinking of things you aren't being open and honest about in your relationships, which makes people feel less authentic."

My problem is nailed by the following:

"It can be unhealthy to reveal certain parts of ourselves if there are people close to us that would be very unaccepting of it, because of the pain and the separation that that would cause to reveal that."  But the main message in many of these scenarios is that you should weigh the consequences -- both to you and someone else. Think about whom you tell, how that person will react and whether you will both be better off."  https://www.cnn.com/2012/11/05/health/secrets-psychology/index.html

I keep weighing and weighing the consequences.  I keep looking for a way out.  There is only one and I need to follow it but I hate it with all my being and heart...but not enough to stop.

You are right Kim I am by the edge of a pool of water except I am on a cliff and there are rocks in the water below.  I need to time the "waves" right.

Talk to you all soon, love,

Emma

•  

HappyMoni

Emma,
   I hope you can enjoy your time on the dive boat. Clear your head. Think of something different and have some fun. Figuring out this issue doesn't need 24/7 attention and with a good distraction, maybe you can allow yourself a mental break from it. Have fun, Hon!
Moni

]
  •  

KimOct

I agree with Moni (what else is new? )  glad you are up and around Moni.

I think this trip will do you some good.  Take most of it to forget about this stuff.  You can start your thought process again when the trip nears its end.

I assume you will check in here once or twice before you leave.  I invite you to read at least the opening post of my topic the joys of not passing.  I wish every pre-transitioner would read it.  This life is so much easier once you get here.  Getting here is the tough part.

Have a wonderful trip.  Be safe.
  •  

Emma1017

I leave tomorrow.  I agree I need to clear my head.  Thank you Moni and Kim for your thoughts.

Kim I have already read your entire thread about the joy of not passing and even commented on the first page.  Your photos were great, by the way.

I didn't want to added any comments to your thread.  You, Zoey and Allie captured it all.  I have already decided that I cannot be trapped or held captive by my wife's fears, I need to get past my own fears to live.   Her fears are the "rocks" I alluded to in my "cliff dive". 

I hope we can jump together, enjoy the exciting ride down and splash down safely together.

I'll be back when I can.

Hugs again,

Emma

•