Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Which hurts less

Started by Emma1017, August 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma1017

I leave in a couple of hours but my thoughts never stop.  Again I wrote something for me and I felt the need to share.  I wrote this for others in my life. I hope you find it is useful:

The Pain

The pain of being transgender is almost indescribable. 

The loneliness, the sadness, the guilt, the shame, the anger, the fear of discovery, the absolute human anguish, all trapped inside your head... and no one in your life has a clue.

It gets compounded by the lack of sympathy, compassion, understanding and comfort from others, the fear of anyone knowing, the fear of being seen as a freak, the fear of rejection.

It has been part of you for years, for decades.  It is lived every day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, minute by painful minute. 

You started to learn how to hide your secret from when you were only child.   You felt the "natural you" and you tried to simply live it.  You were told it was wrong and you were regularly corrected.  Everyone and everything around you told you what you should be.  You were confused but you learned. 

You learned that your feelings and sense of self were wrong.  You learned to hide those feelings, those thoughts.  They were bad.  As a child what did you know?  Mom, Dad, the older kids, they all knew better.  You learned from them.

Your skill grew with time and experience.  Everyone around you drove you to improve your skill in hiding.  They were not allowed to know your secret because you learned quickly that they hated what you were hiding. 

They were the enemy.  They proved it time and time again. They were your parents, friends, family, spouses and children.  They were the media, religious and political groups and society around you, on a global scale.  You had a "disease" that no one wanted to understand and everyone seemed to hate. 

You let no one in. 

You were perpetually behind enemy lines.

Over time you became so skilled that hiding became second nature.  You learned to cover your emotional tracks.  No one saw you or knew you were there.  They saw what you wanted them to see, knowing at all times they would never accept you. 

You hid to prevent being an outcast.  You wanted to just be accepted so you became what they wanted.

You found safe ways to take care of your inner self but even then, you were mean and cruel to yourself.  You rejected what you saw.  You saw your own disgust reflected in the mirror every time you looked.

You hated being you.

On and on this goes on for years.  On and on you build a wall that excludes a part of your heart, a part of your soul.

It is exhausting, draining, soul crushing.

The exhaustion grows.  You start to lose the strength you thought you could carry to the grave. 

You just can't do it anymore.

The strain and the pain become enormous.  You try to find a solution, a way to escape the growing pain that comes with the emotional fatigue.

As you heroically try to keep up the wall in your emotional realities, you begin to realize that you can't.  You see your failure coming... and you are all alone in your crowded life.

You finally come to the point of a life altering moment offering two choices.

But you reject both. 

You continue to desperately struggle and push back again, again and again.  You refuse to accept but you feel the deep, deep agony driving you forward to the choice:

Either open up you heart and soul to the world and accept what will come or die.

I would rather open up my heart and soul. 

The world will have to accept.

A massive, tearful hug,

Emma

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 06, 2019, 11:17:05 AM
I leave in a couple of hours but my thoughts never stop.  Again I wrote something for me and I felt the need to share.  I wrote this for others in my life. I hope you find it is useful:

The Pain

The pain of being transgender is almost indescribable. 

The loneliness, the sadness, the guilt, the shame, the anger, the fear of discovery, the absolute human anguish, all trapped inside your head... and no one in your life has a clue.

It gets compounded by the lack of sympathy, compassion, understanding and comfort from others, the fear of anyone knowing, the fear of being seen as a freak, the fear of rejection.

It has been part of you for years, for decades.  It is lived every day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, minute by painful minute. 

You started to learn how to hide your secret from when you were only child.   You felt the "natural you" and you tried to simply live it.  You were told it was wrong and you were regularly corrected.  Everyone and everything around you told you what you should be.  You were confused but you learned. 

You learned that your feelings and sense of self were wrong.  You learned to hide those feelings, those thoughts.  They were bad.  As a child what did you know?  Mom, Dad, the older kids, they all knew better.  You learned from them.

Your skill grew with time and experience.  Everyone around you drove you to improve your skill in hiding.  They were not allowed to know your secret because you learned quickly that they hated what you were hiding. 

They were the enemy.  They proved it time and time again. They were your parents, friends, family, spouses and children.  They were the media, religious and political groups and society around you, on a global scale.  You had a "disease" that no one wanted to understand and everyone seemed to hate. 

You let no one in. 

You were perpetually behind enemy lines.

Over time you became so skilled that hiding became second nature.  You learned to cover your emotional tracks.  No one saw you or knew you were there.  They saw what you wanted them to see, knowing at all times they would never accept you. 

You hid to prevent being an outcast.  You wanted to just be accepted so you became what they wanted.

You found safe ways to take care of your inner self but even then, you were mean and cruel to yourself.  You rejected what you saw.  You saw your own disgust reflected in the mirror every time you looked.

You hated being you.

On and on this goes on for years.  On and on you build a wall that excludes a part of your heart, a part of your soul.

It is exhausting, draining, soul crushing.

The exhaustion grows.  You start to lose the strength you thought you could carry to the grave. 

You just can't do it anymore.

The strain and the pain become enormous.  You try to find a solution, a way to escape the growing pain that comes with the emotional fatigue.

As you heroically try to keep up the wall in your emotional realities, you begin to realize that you can't.  You see your failure coming... and you are all alone in your crowded life.

You finally come to the point of a life altering moment offering two choices.

But you reject both. 

You continue to desperately struggle and push back again, again and again.  You refuse to accept but you feel the deep, deep agony driving you forward to the choice:

Either open up you heart and soul to the world and accept what will come or die.

I would rather open up my heart and soul. 

The world will have to accept.

A massive, tearful hug,

Emma
So, so true,

Tears, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 06, 2019, 11:17:05 AM

The Pain

Emma

That was awesome Emma, you just described my life to a T 😊

Thank you so much for posting The Pain.

Paige 😊

•  

Emma1017

Dear Paige, Kirsten and All:

I needed to write something as close to the pain I feel and have felt all my life as I could.  I am glad that it means something to you all. 

I have been grappling with how to explain my "choice", such as it is, to my wife and anyone else who may see my choice as selfish or possibly frivolous.

I want this taken extremely serious.  I want it treated as the cancer on my soul that it is and I want respect for the choice I need to make. 

This is not a game.  I don't want to be patronized or pitied.  All I want is an honest attempt by those I care for to begin to understand and some day accept me as me.

Kim, Moni, Jessica, Danielle, Liz and everyone else who have stepped up, have shown me that I have a chance for that kind of happiness and I thank them for their courage and for helping me find mine.

Hugs,

Emma
  •  

HappyMoni

Oh Sweetie, the cancer on your soul is the fear. I look forward to the day that your true self can be seen and respected by all. It will only be the fools who don't appreciate what you have to offer.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Emma1017

Ah Moni I am waiting to taxi but I had to say thanks.  Big hug, Emma
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Kylo on February 15, 2017, 05:31:01 pm

"Know thyself"

When you know yourself as well as I do you know when you've been down every avenue and seen it doesn't go anywhere but Dysphoria Street or Misery Blvd. or Don't Fit In Plaza. Might as well try the mystery door in the wall.
Unquote.

Hi Emma this was my snippet my reply to Kylo a day ago. I do know the grappling & the self acceptance & the acceptance of loved ones does mean a lot, from me ( Kirsten ),
My quote,
As a child I could get away with acting like a girl.

In my 40s I discovered I didnt really know myself. I had an entire side of me I kept locked in a box for a long time.

I ended up facing my young self again and the unfinished buisiness that got stowed away in 1982.

I am still coming to terms with my whole self every day. I seem to be transitioning on  autopilot.

I wish I had your ability to be authentic from the very beginning, Kylo.

Emma,
Yes we learn very early how to NOT be ourselves and pay the price later in life. There is much hope and light at the end of the tunnel though.

Big Yobbo hugs, Kirsten.

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 06, 2019, 03:11:11 PM
Dear Paige, Kirsten and All:

I needed to write something as close to the pain I feel and have felt all my life as I could.  I am glad that it means something to you all. 

I have been grappling with how to explain my "choice", such as it is, to my wife and anyone else who may see my choice as selfish or possibly frivolous.

I want this taken extremely serious.  I want it treated as the cancer on my soul that it is and I want respect for the choice I need to make. 

This is not a game.  I don't want to be patronized or pitied.  All I want is an honest attempt by those I care for to begin to understand and some day accept me as me.

Kim, Moni, Jessica, Danielle, Liz and everyone else who have stepped up, have shown me that I have a chance for that kind of happiness and I thank them for their courage and for helping me find mine.

Hugs,

Emma

Thank god for the girls who made it through and can pass on the valuable tips& advice. Kirsten x.
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Paige

Hi Emma,

Have you thought about posting "The Pain" on its own thread.  Being in a long thread, I'm guessing many members at Susan's might miss it.   I shared it with a transgender friend, who like us is struggling to come out to the world.  She thought it was excellent too.

Take care,
Paige :)
  •  

anne_indy

Hi Emma -  what you wrote articulately captures what I have felt my entire life. Thank you.

I hope that your time diving will bring you some much needed refreshing. Sailing and diving are 2 activities that re-energize me. As I'm still recovering from cycling injuries in January. I can do neither.

Again, thanks for expressing what, I'm sure, many of us feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Emma1017

I'm in port for the day and noticed the reactions my separate post caused and I didn't want to redirect the reactions.  I feel that everyone should have their own reactions. Its so personal.

Here I can talk about myself ;D

I wrote it to be cathartic.  I am hoping to move my emotions to the positive part of my life and to purge the pain.  I said earlier in this thread that the next year is going to be a doozy for me...I am hoping in a very positive way.

Hugs,

Emma
  •  

GinaG

Yes.  It will be a doozy.   I know you have some hurdles ahead.  I appreciate your cathartic posts.  They are real, and articulate what many of us share.  Your positive side breaks through clearly too.  My therapist keeps focussing me and my wife on the now. It brings me a calm I have never known before.  I am enjoying the day to day discovery this brings.  I know it will all work out for the best.  I think for for you too.  We paid in pain for our happiness!  No regrets now.

Hugs always

Gina
  •  

Emma1017

My goal Gina is to break through and find the joy. I absolutely know it's there.  :)
  •  

KimOct

Emma, the joy is there. And more pain will come too but not the kind of pain you have been enduring.  The upcoming pain will be with a purpose and will yield results. 

Enjoy the diving.  Only snorkled myself near Maui ( Molokini or Molakai) IDK but the fish swimming around you is so cool.

I know what you are doing is far more advanced stuff but enjoy and be safe.
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

Emma1017

I am so confused. I am a guy with guys. Who am I????

I am scuba diving and being me but I am a guy.  Where is Emma in all this?  I really hate not having just one of me.  Who will just make me happy?  This is not a good place to be.  Self hate just doesn't work. I really need to find some peace.
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 14, 2019, 06:00:56 PM
I am so confused. I am a guy with guys. Who am I????

I am scuba diving and being me but I am a guy.  Where is Emma in all this?  I really hate not having just one of me.  Who will just make me happy?  This is not a good place to be.  Self hate just doesn't work. I really need to find some peace.

Emma, listen to your emotions that you have while being in guy mode. Use it to figure things out. You are learning as you do this. If you are really uncomfortable, see the bright side of seeing what that means to you. If ithelped to clarify things, even feeing uncomfortable can be a plus.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

KimOct

I started to type my reply 5 minutes before Moni posted.  Then an old friend of mine called and told me her problems for  one hour and 25 minutes.   ::)  I don't think she took a breath.  I love to help but none of it was that tragic.  I wanted to pull my hair out.  :D

Anyhoo.....

Emma I am so glad you shared these feelings and here is why.  I just had a fantastic conversation with my therapist about this exact topic and I have found resolution for myself.  Hopefully the thoughts I am about to share will put you on a similar path.

We lived a long life as men.  Or at least living as men but knowing we are women.  Not every minute of everyday was miserable.  We adapted, we found our place best we could and in those experiences we actually enjoyed some of it.

Much of the 'male bonding' for me was an act but not entirely.  Sometimes I enjoyed it.  We all want to be liked, accepted and part of a group.  Also some of those activities are fun.  I am sure you love diving.  You are doing it with good friends.  What's not to like?

But here is the lesson I learned.  It does not define you.  I will explain.

I gave Tera (my therapist) some examples.  I discussed driving in my car jamming to some AC/DC on a gorgeous day and I had flashbacks to my old self.  Then I talked about how I was recently invited to play on a co-ed softball team at my office.  I told her I used to be a big hitter.  I batted clean up and could really 'jack' the ball.  I loved it for years.
I was proud of my talent.  It was very masculine and male bonding.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I told Tera it seems weird, most of the time I feel female but sometimes the male pieces of who I am come through.
She suggested to me, think of the local U of M women's softball team.  Is their big hitter less female?  Of course not.

Here is the very simple point that she then made that really hit home and helped me find my peace on this topic.

Tera said, Kim you love to hit home runs, you are good at it.  You also love to do your nails, you are very good at that too.   (yes I am if I do say so myself  ;D  so do lots of women  :)  )    Both of those things are YOU
Kim is one person, a softball home run hitter and someone that can do a beautiful manicure.  They are both the same person.

For some reason that really sunk in.  We do not have to be defined my narrow pigeon holing ideas of - men do these things and women do these things.  That is ridiculous.  Let's take this to an extreme.  If we are going to be women in the 'stereotypical' sense we should all be at home wearing an apron baking cookies and looking like Donna Reed  :D
The younger ones reading can look up Donna Reed LOL

I always say I don't know everything about this journey - because I don't - I still have my own issues......
but I can say in complete honesty Emma that I saw this coming for you as soon as you mentioned this trip.  I KNEW it
was going to happen.  I didn't say anything because I thought you should live it and also the slight chance I was wrong.

This is a learning experience.  You are Emma.  Emma is the same person that loves to dive with her buddies and the same one that loves the way she feels in the picture that you post, un- post, post, un-post (just teasing you  :) )

It's all you.  It is only confusing if you let it be.  I always tell you girls my therapist is a rock star.  She proved it again.
  •  

Dena

I am puzzled by your post. Do you mean that you don't feel dysphoria or that you're comfortable in the male role. The reason I ask is that your wording suggest bigender or gender fluid instead of the binary. Having your gender identity change from time to time can be very difficult to deal with and coming from a binary world, it can be quite confusing.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: Dena on May 14, 2019, 10:51:59 PM
I am puzzled by your post. Do you mean that you don't feel dysphoria or that you're comfortable in the male role. The reason I ask is that your wording suggest bigender or gender fluid instead of the binary. Having your gender identity change from time to time can be very difficult to deal with and coming from a binary world, it can be quite confusing.

No I wouldn't call myself gender fluid or non binary.  What I am trying to describe, maybe inadequately, is that feelings, preferences, things we enjoy that typically fall into a gender stereotype are not in fact related to gender.

For example my softball / manicure example - neither of those activities define us in and of themselves to a gender.
Some women love to ride motorcycles, are they not 'woman enough'?   Emma loves diving and enjoys doing it with long time diving partners.  That does not mean she is a man.

My point is that everyone's personality and preferences and forms of enjoyment run a large spectrum.  We are who we know we are and that is not defined by the activities that we enjoy.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dena on May 14, 2019, 10:51:59 PM
I am pretty Ok comfortable in a male role, I prefer a female, but if I need to do stuff that is done better by men (the mensplaning thing can be avoided this way), I go as a male.  I was the last three days in a male role, and it did not bother me at all.
I thought that I was some way gender fluid, and I discussed this with my therapist.  She said one is only gender fluid if one feels the urge to be either or the other gender at certain times.  She is of the opinion that I am doing nothing different than dressing up for Halloween or something like this!  I have a solid purpose to be a men, and not the desire to be one!  The desire would make me gender fluid.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Dena

I intended the post to apply to the OP as that was the topic of discussion.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •