Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Shaving Upper Lip/Chin... What Am I Doing Wrong? :(

Started by thelittlemermaid, August 27, 2018, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelittlemermaid

I've undergone laser hair removal on my face (among other areas) for over 2 years and, while I have way way way less hair now than ever, I still have to shave my chin/upper lip/some areas of my neck daily.

I have tried different razors and shaving creams (as well as pre-shaving conditioners) and tried techniques such as stretching my chin, pursing my lip etc -- I always still end up with little tiny hairs even after everything. I get razor cuts at least once a week even though I try to be gentle.

What options do I have to get these tiny hairs off? No razor seems to be able to get to them because of how short they are.

Thanks so much for any advice. This really has upset me for awhile :(
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@thelittlemermaid
I understand your frustration but I would think that your Laser technician could best address this kind of issues with possibly additional laser treatments....   

Of course shaving can irritate your skin and the results are so very temporary. 
Again, I would suggest to at the very least talk to your laser tech.

Hugs and well wishes...
Danielle

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on August 27, 2018, 01:28:54 PM
I've undergone laser hair removal on my face (among other areas) for over 2 years and, while I have way way way less hair now than ever, I still have to shave my chin/upper lip/some areas of my neck daily.

I have tried different razors and shaving creams (as well as pre-shaving conditioners) and tried techniques such as stretching my chin, pursing my lip etc -- I always still end up with little tiny hairs even after everything. I get razor cuts at least once a week even though I try to be gentle.

What options do I have to get these tiny hairs off? No razor seems to be able to get to them because of how short they are.

Thanks so much for any advice. This really has upset me for awhile :(
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Kendra

Sorry to hear this - please don't get discouraged, this ain't easy but once you get there you will enjoy the benefits.

After seeing initial results and trying more than one type of laser I quickly switched to electrolysis for my face.  I found laser worked great in other areas but not my face.  Different type of root. 

In some countries laser can only be legally called "permanent hair reduction" while electrolysis is called "permanent hair removal".  With laser some follicles can be eliminated but some are reduced in thickness and may grow back in a year or two. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@thelittlemermaid
I totally concur with the reply from @Kendra

Specifically for me, I had difficulties and irritation with electrolysis and found that Laser worked better mainly because my face hair was very thin and light to start with but we are all different and we will have different reactions to the various treatments and procedures.   

I would suggest that you do talk with your Laser technician and then you might also talk to a local Electrolysis technician if there is one available near your location. 

After consulting with both then you might be able to make a better decision about what your next step would be.

Wishing you well, and I am trusting that you can solve this important issue for your transition success.

Please, if you will, keep us updated.
Hugs,
Danielle

Quote from: Kendra on August 27, 2018, 02:04:40 PM
Sorry to hear this - please don't get discouraged, this ain't easy but once you get there you will enjoy the benefits.

After seeing initial results and trying more than one type of laser I quickly switched to electrolysis for my face.  I found laser worked great in other areas but not my face.  Different type of root. 

In some countries laser can only be legally called "permanent hair reduction" while electrolysis is called "permanent hair removal".  With laser some follicles can be eliminated but some are reduced in thickness and may grow back in a year or two.

•  

thelittlemermaid

Thanks all! This question is not really about the actual hair removal process but how I can shave those tiny tiny hairs completely smooth without cutting myself (considering all the steps I've tried using)
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on August 27, 2018, 02:57:31 PM
Thanks all! This question is not really about the actual hair removal process but how I can shave those tiny tiny hairs completely smooth without cutting myself (considering all the steps I've tried using)

@thelittlemermaid
In that case... I can only suggest a few other things...  a NEW quality safety razor blade or a NEW quality multi-blade razor, and attempt as you have mentioned to pucker or tighten your skin in the areas that you want to shave smooth, come at the hairs at various angles of attack, etc.....   after that I am at a loss as to what other advice I can offer.

Please keep us posted when you find solutions to these issues.
Danielle

•  

Harley Quinn

Hot towel before shaving to get a closer shave and finish with cold water rinse.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Virginia

A closer shave will be achieved if the hair is left to grow longer before shaving. I would also recommend a flexible head razor like the Gillette Venus and shaving against the direction of hair growth.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

GordonG

Have you tried an electric razor?

I've used a Norelco all my shaving life and don't have that problem at all.  With a manual razor you are basically pushing the hair against nothing and trying to get it to cut at the skin line. With an electric razor you are using a scissor action. So the hair doesn't have to bend over as its being cut. The Norelco I have even has a "LIFT AND CUT" action in that it actually pulls on the hair a bit before cutting. See: http://tiny.cc/fx1ixy

Just a thought.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Colleen_definitely

Oh hey those look just like the ones that are on my upper lip as well.

From what I can tell there is no good way to cut those with a razor since they grow out at a goofy angle.  They look bigger than they are because they're fairly fat hairs and they end up getting cut at an angle so they look even bigger.

An electric shaver seems to do a better job, in my case a fancy foil razor does the trick but those rotary ones work nicely as well.

The only real way out is to keep burning them away with a laser or electrolysis needle. 
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: GordonG on August 27, 2018, 08:30:28 PM

I've used a Norelco all my shaving life and don't have that problem at all.  With a manual razor you are basically pushing the hair against nothing and trying to get it to cut at the skin line. With an electric razor you are using a scissor action. So the hair doesn't have to bend over as its being cut. The Norelco I have even has a "LIFT AND CUT" action in that it actually pulls on the hair a bit before cutting. See: http://tiny.cc/fx1ixy

Just a thought.

I actually have! The only time I recall in my life getting it super smooth was using one before I transitioned, but everywhere I see says that it's not ideal for trans women. This is a bit of a relief to have someone suggest it!
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on August 27, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
@thelittlemermaid
In that case... I can only suggest a few other things...  a NEW quality safety razor blade or a NEW quality multi-blade razor, and attempt as you have mentioned to pucker or tighten your skin in the areas that you want to shave smooth, come at the hairs at various angles of attack, etc.....   after that I am at a loss as to what other advice I can offer.

Please keep us posted when you find solutions to these issues.
Danielle

Thank you so much! Any you specifically recommend? I'll include a pic of my razors and products in another reply once I finish replying to each person.

Quote from: Harley Quinn on August 27, 2018, 08:01:44 PM
Hot towel before shaving to get a closer shave and finish with cold water rinse.

How long do you do the hot towel on for? For me it tends to dry pretty fast even if I had it on me for a minute+. I usually shave in the shower where it does get hot and wet.
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Here is my roster of what I have for use:

PRE-SHAVING / SHAVING CREAMS:

I first use my face cleanser since I have a full skincare routine (not seen here - can always discuss that in the makeup section!) then then get the shower where I have my fogless mirror etc.

The pre-shaving conditioner I use is the Mario Badescu one but because my stubble hairs are so short as you can see, it doesn't really do much.

The green Gilette gel I use for body shaving, especially legs. Can't say I notice much of a difference between the first two Gilette gels other than that they both work fine for my neck and jawline.

The Mario Badescu cream is what I prefer for below my cheeks / chin but I can't say it really does much.

http://i67.tinypic.com/6pqd10.jpg

RAZORS:

The Venus Embrace top green one is what I use for my legs but find that it doesn't do much.

The Gillette one (third down) is what I use for my neck and jawline - it's fine. Doesn't do anything for my chin/upper lip.

The pink safety one (second down) does an okay job for some of my chin but it's very easy to cut myself with it (especially corners of upper lip and lower lip) because it only does great with longer hairs.

The straight razor is a Merkur 34C (?) and has recommended the blade inserted. I literally see nothing happening, even though I've tried to do the 30 degree angle like directed.

The only real method I have to get the tiny hairs gone (most but not all) is to take compact brow razors and go very close trying to shave off each one individually. Very tedious and rough on the skin!

http://i64.tinypic.com/fup939.jpg

AFTER-SHAVING:

The Bump Patrol is fantastic for razor cuts (which I get at least one a week). You put it immediately on right after. Otherwise, the other stuff is okay too.

http://i68.tinypic.com/fdvyg5.jpg
  •  

Violet

I have already had 7 laser hair treatments, but still have tiny hairs. Electrolysis is next, but until then I pluck my upper lip, especially right underneath my nose. I know it will grow back, but it lasts for a few weeks.
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: Violet on August 28, 2018, 12:22:09 PM
I have already had 7 laser hair treatments, but still have tiny hairs. Electrolysis is next, but until then I pluck my upper lip, especially right underneath my nose. I know it will grow back, but it lasts for a few weeks.

You may want to check if that's okay because I've always been told never to do that because it pulls out all that's grown of the hair which in turn slows down electrolysis (you want to have as many hairs available) as well as laser (there is no follicle for the laser to pick up on)
  •  

DawnOday

Don't pluck the hairs. Too painful. What I have found as my face is over 50% completed  but I sill have lip hair. I use an eyebrow blade, They call it microplaning. Make sure to prepare you lip hair as you would for regular shaving. Make sure to hold your skin tight for better results.After putting on the cream. take the blade up to the nose and slide downwards c Do this until the area is clear. If you want to do it on the rest of your face go ahead just prepare. When you use this method you not only get a closer shave but you shave off your dead skin. After wiping down feel your skin. It's soft. Now is the time to use your serums as they will now penetrate and help hydrate your skin.  Try it.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: GordonG on August 27, 2018, 08:30:28 PM

Just a thought.

The one you sent looks great! Just curious how you prefer rotary over foil? for getting it to look completely smooth. I found my old Braun 3040s foil one so I'm deciding whether to get the one you recommended or get a replacement head.
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: DawnOday on August 28, 2018, 10:26:08 PM
Don't pluck the hairs. Too painful. What I have found as my face is over 50% completed  but I sill have lip hair. I use an eyebrow blade, They call it microplaning. Make sure to prepare you lip hair as you would for regular shaving. Make sure to hold your skin tight for better results.After putting on the cream. take the blade up to the nose and slide downwards c Do this until the area is clear. If you want to do it on the rest of your face go ahead just prepare. When you use this method you not only get a closer shave but you shave off your dead skin. After wiping down feel your skin. It's soft. Now is the time to use your serums as they will now penetrate and help hydrate your skin.  Try it.

Glad to hear somebody else does this! Which ones do you recommend?
  •  

LaserGirl

Get more laser and electrolysis and it will be gone.
I also have a Tria for in between sessions.  I will pluck dark hairs after laser sessions.  I leave the light ones for electrolysis
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on August 29, 2018, 03:02:37 PM
The one you sent looks great! Just curious how you prefer rotary over foil? for getting it to look completely smooth. I found my old Braun 3040s foil one so I'm deciding whether to get the one you recommended or get a replacement head.

It was suggested to me when I started shaving to try a Norelco by someone I don't remember. My dad used a foil type, probably not as good as todays models, but he was constantly mad at it and buying new blades for it and others that he bought. So I took the suggestion to heart and bought a Norelco, I've never used anything else. I've been very happy with them, and the blades last for years.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•