Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Makeup Basics

Started by Gabrielle66, September 27, 2018, 10:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabrielle66

I looked at a recent post about makeup and passing and there was some great advice about visiting a makeup counter at a mall or major store. Now, I don't want to get too deep into the pocketbook just yet. What I am looking for is basically what types of makeup and brushes should I buy just to start practicing in the mirror. I'm not thinking of going out in public yet I just want to sit in front of a mirror and try a few things. I have a basic lipstick that I did apply and it's a nice neutral color that I think works very well for me. I have some mascara, an eye liner, a basic blush in a light tone that seems good for my pale yet tanned complexion. I also have a very basic set of eye shadow colors that I believe will go with my skin tone. I only have one brush for foundation and the applicators that came with the other makeup. Can you ladies tell me what I'm missing from my basic set of makeup? I would also like a recommendation about how to remove the makeup? Is there a specific remover product or products that work best?

Currently, my wife is just not up to the task of helping me with this process so I need to navigate it on my own for now. Please help if you can. Have a wonderful day. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

ErinAscending

I don't know much yet myself as I have no opportunity to practice as yet.  I will say I found many many many VERY helpful tutorials on you tube about the subject.

Things I've gleaned from those tutorials not covered in your list:
Start with a clean dry face and apply a decent moisturizer.  Let it set at least 5 mins.
Apply the foundation as little as possible so it doesn't look thick.  And then concealer for anything showing through.
Use setting powder on top of that as it makes your hard work last longer.  Everything else goes on top of that.

Neutrogena Makeup remover wipes took everything off pretty easily.  You could try that to remove.

All of the above I got as advise from YouTube so if I'm wrong, let me know and then proceed to blame YouTube for me, please.  :)

<3
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Gabrielle66

I too have prowled through lots of videos on YouTube. There are some great videos there but they have so many products they talk about and they go so quick. Nobody seems to have a checklist of sorts to see what you need to buy to try the look. I'm thinking right now what I need is the foundation, concealer, and the finishing powder. Plus the remover for after it's all done. The thing is I don't know how to choose the foundation, concealer, or finishing powder. My bathroom is all set up with a new mirror. I'm ready to start practicing on the weekends but I need the basics. I'm not sure what brushes or applicators to buy either. Plus I have very fair eyebrows to go with my blond hair. I would love to find some kind of tip to help me with those. They are very manly. I have hairs sticking out everywhere. I have no clue what to do with them. Thanks for your reply Erin. I also noticed that there is an actual makeup section here at Susan's so maybe somebody can move this thread to the correct location. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Gabrielle66 on September 27, 2018, 11:41:58 AM
> I also noticed that there is an actual makeup section here at Susan's so maybe somebody can move this thread to the correct location

I've moved this topic from the Passing section to Makeup.   ;)

My overall thoughts on makeup are... at first it seems like rocket science, I was pretty confused.  After awhile it becomes no big deal and a nice quick pause from the rush to get ready in the morning.  This all becomes much easier with practice. 

At the risk of making this sound even more complicated there's a lot of variables that determine what's best for you.  Age, skin color and type, and whether there is any stubble to cover up.  A close shave doesn't generally hide beard shadow, even with light colored hair the roots tend to be darker than surrounding skin.  If you have beard shadow you'll be applying quite a bit of foundation.  If you don't have any beard shadow things get much simpler.  After a lot of electrolysis I no longer use foundation. 

When I started out applying makeup I used quite a bit.  This year, most of the time it's just eyes and lipstick.  Seems I use less as time goes on.  My main makeup kit consists of 5 items:
- Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Dark Circle Roller (liquid under-eye concealer)
- Mac liquid eyeliner.  (Looks like something an old-fashioned quill pen would be dipped into)
- Eyeliner brush
- Red lip liner
- Lipstick.  Currently using this color.

I've been using Neutrogena makeup remover wipes, those are convenient but I am thinking about changing to a regular liquid -  better for the environment and less bulky to carry. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Nicole70

Hi Gabrielle,

My daughter helps me with makeup, I have a limited knowledge but I get pretty good results with only a few basics. I can't speak for what's correct, only what works for me but glad to pass it on.

Moisturise your skin. If you have a dark beard shadow, you can use a concealer or bb cream to cover up dark areas.
I use a makeup sponge - sort of looks like a teardrop- to apply liquid foundation, I use Maybelline Fit me matte + poreless, you can colour match to your skin tone, you may have to check the samples to see what's best. Then apply a foundation powder using a foundation brush which is a big rounded soft brush and you dab that onto your cheeks, chin and nose, use a blusher if required but go easy on it. I use a lipstick pencil as it seems easier to apply, then use a setting spray to spray your face, this helps the makeup to stay where put for the day.

That's really the basics, you can then add to your makeup as you go and get better and need arises.

Nicole
  •  

randim

Hi Gabrielle,

I am quite the novice myself, but if there is one guiding rule for makeup it seems to be that less is more. It's really easy to overdo. If you're comfortable enough to go to a place like Sephora and ask for help you'll get the right match for your skin tone, which is important.
  •  

Gabrielle66

Ladies,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure about uploading a picture to give you an idea what I'm working with but it's a rough palette. I most definitely have beard stubble. It grows like a weed and is about as tough as wire bristles. I've never been concerned with a super close shave before so I never really bothered with much of a technique to get those results. My current three blade razors don't seem up to the task even with two passes. One with and one against the grain. It's fine for a guy but not for smooth makeup. Since I'm not going into public at the moment with the makeup what I would like to do is just experiment with the products that could help me pass in public. So I definitely need something to hide the stubble. I'm trying to find what that is. I know that it's supposed to be orange but I am not finding it on the Sephora website. I have searched for beard concealer, color correction, and just color concealer. Nothing seems to come back with what I think I'm looking for. I also have this question about foundation. My face and neck are pretty tanned but anything below the normal button up collar is pretty much pasty white. I have the thing about not being able to take off my shirt in public so I have no tan beyond the typical farmer tan. So right now I need the foundation to match my face but eventually I am going to have to figure out a way to get some color on my chest and upper arms. I'd like to be able to wear a feminine tank type top and not look ridiculous. That's down the road a bit. So I guess what I'm asking is how do I pick the right shade of foundation to match my current level of facial tan? There are like fifty shades of every brand. It's crazy. Then for the powder is there a color you choose or is it basically clear? The whole thing has me reeling. Thanks so much for your input. I am going to try to pick some of this stuff up this weekend. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

Gabrielle66

So as a follow up question to the original questions. Do I want a translucent finishing powder or should I be looking at something else? I don't want to look like a tart or anything. I just want a nice natural looking face when all is said and done. Not too much of a standout look with no bright colors or any of that. I'm 52 for Heaven's sake. Love and faith.

Gabrielle
  •  

Nicole70

It's a matter of trying and seeing I think, try translucent out to see if that does it for you.
  •  

barbie

Yes. Everybody is busy nowadays, and many women do not have time for makeup in the morning.

In my case, my typical steps for makeup (if you call it) in the morning is

1) Wash my face with water as everybody does
2) Clean my face with facial toner (cheaper one)
3) Apply moisturizing cream (cheaper one)
4) Apply sun cream (my favorite is Shiseido)
5) Attach false eyelashes (cheaper ones from AliExpress.com)

These simple 5 steps are enough for me to teach and interact with people in public everyday. For example, I usually look like this, and people assume that I do not wear any makeup.

If I have some time, I do the following further steps.

6) Apply eyeshadows
7) Apply lipstick
8) Apply foundation (probably less than 5 time every year)
9) Apply powder (probably once or twice every year)

Then I may look like:

In my case, I no longer have grey beard area, as I had nearly completely removed the beard hairs by using Tria Home Laser. The effect of Tria varies with person, but it worked very well for me. https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=136864.55

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •