Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Peripheral Neuropathy

Started by Gertrude, October 05, 2018, 07:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gertrude

Thanks Cindy. They did the retro peritoneal discectomy yesterday with the cage and allograft. Today is the harder one with laminectomy and other hardware, allograft and autograft. I'll check back in when I can. This is supposed to be the painful part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Cindy

Keep strong Trudy, keep fighting - it will be worth it.

Thinking of you - I'm awake in the middle of the night with my foot screaming at me.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Cindy on October 30, 2018, 08:56:18 AM
Keep strong Trudy, keep fighting - it will be worth it.

Thinking of you - I'm awake in the middle of the night with my foot screaming at me.
What helps?

•  

Gertrude

Out of second surgery 10 hours. Up once. This one hurt a lot more. Found a spinal chord fluid leak too. We'll see how this goes.

•  

Kendra

Wish I was there to give you a hug, carefully.  All the best for recovery, and best wishes.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Cindy

Here is hoping that the surgery has eased the problem. Rest and recover and look forward to the future!

[I'm on endone as required but I avoid using it, and anti-inflammatories that do work after a while. I meditate a lot and I do find that useful]
  •  

HughE

I hope your surgery goes OK. I noticed you talking about MRIs, and thought I should mention that there are dangers associated with MRI scans where a contrast agent is used  (MRIs without a contrast agent are fine, it's where a contrast agent is injected that problems can occur).

The contrast agents all contain a toxic metal called gadolinium, which is supposed to be in a safe, chemically inert form that gets excreted by your kidneys before it can do any harm. However, the pharmaceutical companies must have faked the safety testing, because it turns out that the contrast agents all leak the toxic form of gadolinium, and for years people have been going in for MRI scans and coming out with gadolinium poisoning (with doctors blaming their symptoms on a worsening of the condition they were sent in for a scan for). The majority of people are OK, but a minority are getting sick, and the risk gets higher the more contrast MRIs you have. This is a description of the symptoms that people who have an adverse reaction to contrast agent typically experience:

https://gadoliniumtoxicity.com/help/symptoms/

Hopefully that isn't the cause of your peripheral neuropathy, but I saw you talking about MRIs and thought I'd better mention it!
  •  

Gertrude

It was without contrast. The surgeon said it was the second worst stenosis he's worked on. I had CSf leak too, which gave me a whopper of a headache after. It's taking me some time to come out of it. I think the a anaestatist used ketamine and propofol.

•  

Maid Marion

Wish you well with your recovery.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Gertrude on October 15, 2018, 07:51:32 PM
Surgery is October 29. Laminectomy and fusion L4-L5.

I had the same surgery about 6 or 7 years ago.  I was really bad off, I had the backs of 4 vertebra removed to give more room for the spinal cord.  The recuperation process depends a lot on your prop condition and on your age.  It took me about a year to be fully back to normal (but I have an 8" long scar n my back).  I still have chronic nerve damage and need to take Gabapentin for the rest of my life.  But I can walk and even jog a little.  Beats sitting in a wheelchair with bags  for stool and urine at your side!

Good luck, if you want to know more about the procedure, just ask!  Oh by the way, you want to have a neuro surgeon as young as possible, and preferably a female one.  It is all about the fine motor skills back there!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Gertrude

I'll pm you.

•  

Linde

02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•