Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Coming out to someone on the other side of the country?

Started by cassiebythesea, October 09, 2018, 12:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassiebythesea

So as of right now, only four people I know personally know that I'm trans. I want to be out to more of my friends. The problem there is that last year I left my home state, where all of my friends are. I really would rather tell them this kind of thing face-to-face in person, but I'm probably not going to be anywhere near my old home within the next year.

So what's the best way to do this across state lines like this? I'm considering writing a personalized letter to everyone one by one. I feel that's considerably more personal than just sending them a Facebook message or something. And if I do a letter, I kinda need ideas for how to say everything. I've run through it in my mind a few times, and I just can't find a way to say everything.

Thoughts or ideas?
  •  

KathyLauren

I did a lot of coming out by email, especially for people that I seldom see.  For those I knew would be accepting, I took a lighthearted approach: "I am announcing my resignation from the male gender."  For those I was less sure of, I started by describing how I never fit in, then about being diagnosed with gender dysphoria, then finally using the T-word and announcing that I was transitioning.

For several people in similar circumstances, I did a lot of cutting-and-pasting, though I personalized each letter a bit.

There is no right way to do it, no one size fits all package.  You know your friends and relatives and you will be able to anticipate their most likely reactions.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

TonyaW

I'd think that whatever method you usually use when you talk to them now would be appropriate. 

My family is pretty scattered (im in WI, the rest at the time were in MI, MN, AZ, AK) so it went out on email.  That's generally the way we all communicate anyway, especially when it's the whole group.  My dad (in NM) doesn't do email so he got a snail mail edition of my coming out letter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•