Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Has Anyone Used the App Voice Up?

Started by rlacy2018, October 28, 2018, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlacy2018

It's on the Google play store. My brother said that my voice sounds weird, and not like a female's, it's probably more like a higher pitched boy. I know it isn't perfect, my pitch is high but I didn't think the rest of it was that bad. He is supportive of my transition though, so I think he was just trying to be helpful.

Anyways, I haven't had much luck (I haven't really stuck to it) with voice training. In the past I would always get discouraged because it never feels like I'm doing it right and my voice gets really weak at super high pitches. So, with the app VoiceUp, there's 3 stages, @ $15 a stage, which really isn't that bad because I can always revisit them, but I just don't know how much it'll actually help.

With the test, my voice is at 165 Hz, which is more in the female range. But I know there's more to it than just pitch.
  •  

Linde

I used the free voice pitch analyzer several times (also on the Play Store), and end up with a low average of about 140 Hz, and a high average of about 220 Hz.  That brings me into the lower range of a female voice.

And that is pretty much my natural voice, I just have to watch not to put extra base into it, which I used to do to sound more manly.
But it is not only the pitch, it is also the speech pattern.  I don't really know how male my speech pattern is, because English is my third language (after Dutch and German), and I learned a lot of it from my wife (ex now), who is a linguist.  Because of this, it could be that I have a more female speech pattern when I speak English???

My psychologist feels that I sound like Marlene Dietrich did, because my voice has almost the identical pitch and I have the same accent she had.  Now I just need long blond hair and I could make my living as Marlene Dietrich impersonator!
How would that sound, Dietlind Dietrich, or simply DD?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

sarahc

Voice Up is so-so. Voice Up goes over the most important concepts but I thought the lessons were not as good as the EVA app, which I think is only on iOS.

I don't think either app is a substitute for in-person therapy, but it could be helpful to do them prior to therapy. I think it's worth plopping down $15 to see if you like Voice Up.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: sarahc on October 28, 2018, 05:54:10 PM
Voice Up is so-so. Voice Up goes over the most important concepts but I thought the lessons were not as good as the EVA app, which I think is only on iOS.

I don't think either app is a substitute for in-person therapy, but it could be helpful to do them prior to therapy. I think it's worth plopping down $15 to see if you like Voice Up.

Thanks for the reply! Where can you find a voice therapist? I live in Virginia and I tried a few Google searches but I couldn't find much.
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: Dietlind on October 28, 2018, 11:39:55 AM
I used the free voice pitch analyzer several times (also on the Play Store), and end up with a low average of about 140 Hz, and a high average of about 220 Hz.  That brings me into the lower range of a female voice.

And that is pretty much my natural voice, I just have to watch not to put extra base into it, which I used to do to sound more manly.
But it is not only the pitch, it is also the speech pattern.  I don't really know how male my speech pattern is, because English is my third language (after Dutch and German), and I learned a lot of it from my wife (ex now), who is a linguist.  Because of this, it could be that I have a more female speech pattern when I speak English???

My psychologist feels that I sound like Marlene Dietrich did, because my voice has almost the identical pitch and I have the same accent she had.  Now I just need long blond hair and I could make my living as Marlene Dietrich impersonator!
How would that sound, Dietlind Dietrich, or simply DD?

Thanks for the reply! Sadly I don't know who that is. Yes, my therapist was telling me about speech patterns and such.
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: rlacy2018 on October 28, 2018, 07:40:30 PM
Thanks for the reply! Where can you find a voice therapist? I live in Virginia and I tried a few Google searches but I couldn't find much.

If you're near Washington, there's a good transgender voice clinic at George Washington University.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

rlacy2018

Quote from: sarahc on October 28, 2018, 07:53:28 PM
If you're near Washington, there's a good transgender voice clinic at George Washington University.

Unfortunately I'm not, more like Southwest Virginia. Is there a list/collection of them online?
  •