Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Things you do no longer use or buy now

Started by ChrissyRyan, December 28, 2018, 07:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: TonyaW on January 06, 2019, 10:35:09 AM
This is what I remember about them.

You didnt buy them. Stores would give them out and then your mom made you stick them in books and then she took them somewhere and redeemed them for something.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I googled greenstamps. It's kind of the same principal as reward point cards stores have now. But I think the fact that they had actual greenstamps catalogs and stores really cool. What kind of stuff did they sell? Was it varied or just like specific items like for cooking?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 06, 2019, 12:09:04 PM
I googled greenstamps. It's kind of the same principal as reward point cards stores have now. But I think the fact that they had actual greenstamps catalogs and stores really cool. What kind of stuff did they sell? Was it varied or just like specific items like for cooking?

We also had 'Blue Chip' stamps that were used the same way.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

TonyaW

I think they were given out by multiple places, but otherwise pretty much like reward points. I really only remember sticking them in books for her and have no idea what my mom ever redeemed them for.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 06, 2019, 01:47:36 AM
Ok dont laugh.............I no longer purchase S&H green stamps.

All you young girls can go google it!!  LOL

I'm a man from Cleveland, Ohio (apparently they were popular there too), and I kind of remember them. 

But then again, at the time, my family didn't really shop at the May Company either.  I'm trying to remember if my Granny used them.  Perhaps she did.

Quote from: Swedishgirl96 on January 06, 2019, 09:01:52 AM
Can't the guys iron their own shirts and uniforms? :o

Julia1996, no offence, but your guys are LAZY!  I iron my own dress shirts and I also do the "pull them out of the dryer while still a bit damp" trick for them as well.  Sometimes, I can get away without ironing them if I catch the clothes damp enough.  :)

Since growing dreadlocks, I no longer buy or need a comb and hairbrush for my 'locs, unless I count the ones for my cosplay wigs.  ;)

Ryuichi

•  

BritneyX

Quote from: Devlyn on December 28, 2018, 02:22:24 PM
I'll never give up my P-38! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener
I have a couple of those laying around. We used the P-38s in Boy Scouts and I have a couple of P-51s. All non-Military issue.  The Navy used to issue those, but soon learned that Navy ships were not actual tin cans, so they didn't work.  With 4 squared galley meals a day, there was no other need for them.
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

BritneyX

Actually, S&H Catalog looked like any department store catalog.  My Mother religiously filled her stamp books.  At times, she had to argue to get the appropriate number of stamps due to her cause the cashier miscalculated or teh store manager was being shifty.  She was able to exchange them for a sofa, loveseat and a heated/vibrating recliner.  They were nice and built really well.  All in all, in was a really swell shopper loyalty program that just could not compete with the ever changing nature of retail in the USA.
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

Lisa89125

Quote from: BritneyX on January 09, 2019, 11:42:14 PM
I have a couple of those laying around. We used the P-38s in Boy Scouts and I have a couple of P-51s. All non-Military issue.  The Navy used to issue those, but soon learned that Navy ships were not actual tin cans, so they didn't work.  With 4 squared galley meals a day, there was no other need for them.

Haha, I think you'll need a torch to cut through that metal.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 05, 2019, 09:57:49 AM
I certainly don't buy or use them, but my dad loves books. Real paper books. He has books all over his bedroom, home office and our family room. Dirty, dust catching, germy books! I gave him a Kindle for his birthday once and he returned it. He said he likes reading actual books.

He's not alone, I own a couple hundred books and can't pass a used bookstore without stopping to take a look.

Yes, moving is a workout.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 28, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Floppy disks.

Compact Discs of various formats are rapidly coming to the same fate. As are cars with keyed ignitions.

I haven't used a pencil in ages. With kids going to school with computers and tablets I feel like pen and paper might as well be stone tablets.
  •  

Maid Marion

Film for recording images taken by cameras!
  •  

Linde

Quote from: NatalieRene on January 27, 2019, 11:16:12 AM
Compact Discs of various formats are rapidly coming to the same fate. As are cars with keyed ignitions.

I haven't used a pencil in ages. With kids going to school with computers and tablets I feel like pen and paper might as well be stone tablets.
I use them constantly (ball pen and paper) to write quick notes, to write shopping lists, etc.  I don't write any communication with them, just for personal purposes.  A little piece of paper as a shopping list is way handier than using my cell pone for the same.  The work to do them is the same.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

ChrissyRyan

Rubber Stamps

Watermarks / computer generation of forms and documents seem to be used as computer printers provide documents such as receipts.  Rubber stamps are still used, but not as often as in the past.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Linde

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 27, 2019, 08:58:06 PM
Rubber Stamps

Watermarks / computer generation of forms and documents seem to be used as computer printers provide documents such as receipts.  Rubber stamps are still used, but not as often as in the past.

Chrissy
I have one of those automatic ones to stamp my return address onto outgoing mail.  And I have a date stamp to stamp important incoming mail
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Ryuichi13

Address books.

My Mom still has a physical one. :o

I kind of have one...if you count writing down my passwords to all the websites I belong to as an "address book."  My partner is into fancy fountain pens, and I use the ones he got me to write down my webaddresses and passwords in.  I also keep track of my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls (BJDs) information in it, and what color ink is in what fountain pen I own.  ;D

Ryuichi

•  

ChrissyRyan

Pay  telephones  ( not seen very often nowadays )
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Cloth diapers are not often used nowadays.
  •  

MaryT

I was born in England in 1955 and my first home was a post-war prefab.  I haven't seen one since childhood, although I gather that there may be a few left, all at risk of demolition.  When we moved out, we became the first occupants of a brand new council house with all mod cons.  Those didn't include central heating, telephone or refrigerator. 

We did have a b&w television (remember those?) but I subsequently spent over ten years of my childhood and teen years in countries without TV broadcasts, and eventually witnessed the first TV broadcasts in those countries.  We had a coal fire but I haven't seen one of those in use for many years.  Sometimes our beds were warmed with rubber hot water bottles (remember those?) but I remember that I was often shiveringly cold in bed.  The prayer with "If I should die before I wake" made sense to children in those days.  We often heard of acquaintances, mainly elderly,  dying of pneumonia.  When I awoke, there were sometimes pretty patterns on the windows that were said to be painted by Jack Frost.  I haven't seen those since I was a child, no doubt thanks to central heating, although I keep the house as cold as I dare (the heating is on to protect the plumbing, not me).  Instead of a regrigerator, we put foods and drinks on a stone slab in the pantry to keep cool.  I didn't see my first home refrigerator until we moved to what is now part of Yemen when I was between 7 and 8.  We got our first telephone when I was 13 and it was a dialled one (remember those?).

Our permanent homes had indoor toilets and modern baths but we had to use outside toilets when visiting relatives.  I still occasionally see what used to be outside toilets but they are no longer in use.  When visiting an aunt, and while renting a home while on holiday from Arabia, we had to use tin baths into which water had to be poured.

The toys children played with when I was small included marbles, yo-yos, hula hoops and whipping tops.  I haven't seen modern children playing with them.  Skill with yo-yos, hula hoops and whipping tops always eluded me.  Those toys all depend on the physical law of conservation of angular momentum, so I have a theory that I generate a force field that prevents that law from working in my immediate vicinity.  Bicycles also use that law to maintain balance and for good reason, I wouldn't let my father take the training wheels off until I was seven and even then I was very wobbly.  Boomerangs use the same law.  My grandmother brought me one after visiting Australia.  It didn't come back when I threw it, of course, but I did find it and now it is just an ornament.  I now try not to use anything that depends on the conservation of angular momentum. 

My father sometimes received telegrams but I haven't encountered them for a very long time.

Instead of choosing VHS, my family's first videotape player was Sony Betamax.  I can't remember when I last saw a Betamax tape. 

I bought my first cassette audiotape (remember those?) in 1969.  It was Swan Lake on one side and The Nutcracker on the other (I still have it somewhere).  My brother complained that if I played that kind of music, it would ruin our Hi-Fi.  My mother thought that I needed to become more normal so, still in 1969, and to my brother's disgust, she bought ME the Beatles Red and Blue albums, in good old fashioned vinyl.  I did enjoy them and I still have them too, although they became more scratched and worn from my brother playing them than by me.  I haven't bought vinyl records since the 1980s.

I haven't been to a drive-in movie, or a drive-in roadhouse where you would dine in your car, for many years.  I don't think that they ever existed in Britain, anyway.

I haven't used a cloth handkerchief for many years.

The computing tools I use have changed over the years.  When I first learned to program, I had to learn how to interpret and punch punched cards but I never used them professionally.  I also had to use COBOL coding forms when using the IBM System 360 mainframe.  Are any mainframes still in use anywhere?  I last worked on one in the year 2000.  Computer rooms used to have to be air conditioned to keep the beasts cool.  Floppy disks existed when I started but they were floppy and disk shaped, not stiff and square as they later became.  We had to use them when using Radio Shack TRS80s as they didn't have hard drives.  I haven't used a manual flowchart template for many years but I'm sorry I mislaid my IBM one, as I regarded it as the symbol of my profession, like a doctor's stethoscope. 

I programmed professionally in languages that I think are no longer used, e.g.  COBOL, Fortran, Datashare and Natural.  The good old days, when we wrote very long programs using a very small number of different instructions, instead of this object oriented nonsense using a large number of different instructions to write shorter programs.  The old way suited the way my mind works.  I didn't have a degree but finding work was easy in those days, as applicants with computer science degrees often failed the aptitude tests (lucky beggars, as they then became highly paid consultants).  I never programmed professionally with assembly language, sadly, although I wanted to, so that I could do things at the level of the operating systems.  I asked one of my managers whether the computer had an assembler and she replied "Yes and if you use it, you're fired!"  (O ye of little faith, I couldn't have done all that much damage :eusa_whistle:.)  I haven't heard of anyone programming with assembly language for many years.

•  

Maid Marion

I was born a decade after you and I think I'm the last of the kids who were taught in school how to program in assembly language using Hollerith cards!  The new dean of the Engineering School had a fit when he discovered they were still being used and had them taken out!  I also used the terminals that replaced them!
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Maid Marion on February 12, 2019, 05:34:31 PM
I was born a decade after you and I think I'm the last of the kids who were taught in school how to program in assembly language using Hollerith cards!  The new dean of the Engineering School had a fit when he discovered they were still being used and had them taken out!  I also used the terminals that replaced them!

Ah yes, the "dumb" terminals as they were called when desktop computers started to replace them.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

•