Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Recent Downtime

Started by Susan, January 14, 2019, 04:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

On Friday I came home to find that the server was reporting that the storage was full and that it was unable to write to the drives, with over 6tb of storage remaining available on the drives.

I first attempted a reboot of the server and the server came back up and reported that it was attempting to access space outside of the drive causing an immediate kernel panic. I attempted dozens of fixes and not one of them would work. I finally ran out of things to attempt, gave up on saving the data and deleted the partitions on the drives, reformatted, and reinstalled the operating system from scratch.

Upon rebooting I again received the message that the system was still attempting to access space outside of the drive and the kernel panic occurred again. More google searches and I found a tool that was able to fix the problem, just wish I had found it before I did the full reinstall but didn't find it until after that had already been done.

My running theory is that something occurred that damaged the master boot record on the drive, cosmic rays anyone?

I began the process of re-configuring the server to our needs and started the process of recovering the files from our remote backup provider, which was a multi-day nightmare on it's own. Something I will talk about in my next message.

When I finally was able to get the backups downloaded I began the process of getting everything ready to put the site back up, finishing just a bit ago.

I worked 60+ hours over the last 4 days, sleeping only when I was not able to continue any longer. You start making stupid mistakes when you get too fatigued.

As near as I can tell we lost a few hours of data but the majority of it was able to be recovered! If you find any problems on the site please let me know asap!
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Susan,

Thanks for you efforts and energies. 
We appreciate all that you did.  :)

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Susan

Oh my next post will be after I have had something to eat and some rest...
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Linde

And it i wonderful to have a home again!
Thank you!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

KathyLauren

Susan, thank you so much for your hard work!  Not just the superhuman marathon this weekend, but all the earlier work to make sure that there were backups to restore.  We missed Susan's Place, and we are glad to have it back.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Melinda@heart

Yes, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

•  

Rayna

As the former owner of a web/email host and internet service provider, I can fully sympathize with you, Susan!  I had some of those marathons, and don't miss them a bit!  All my thanks and best wishes for your own recovery after the site's recovery.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Remote backups are great for safely preserving the data offsite, but bandwidth is never enough to quickly get back terabytes of data.  We tried offering that service ourselves, but it usually comes down to Fedex'ing a hard drive containing the data is quicker.  It's a great safety tool, but there probably needs to be a local backup that can be used in all but a true disaster.
If so, then why not?
  •  

tgirlamg

Thank You Susan for all. Your tireless/tiring efforts!!!

Onward we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley 🙋‍♀️💕🌻
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Jenny1969

Susan

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication!!!   I am glad it all turned out well. I can only imagine the things that were running through your mind during the crash....LOL

Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Jessica_K

That was as huge amount of effort and I take my bonnet off for all the dedication to the site and all it's members and viewers

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Hugs and love Jessica
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

AnneK

I was going through withdrawal!   ;)

One thing I've notice though, is after reading messages and going back to the topic list, the page reloads, which means the topic I just read is no longer listed.  Previously, I had to manually reload the page.  This means that if, after reading a topic, I no longer want to see it, I can't use mark that topic to be ignored, until the next time it appears.

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Susan

It should be fixed. I still had the page set to not cache.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

AnneK

Quote from: Susan on January 16, 2019, 02:50:20 PM
It should be fixed. I still had the page set to not cache.

tnx
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Lisa89125

Thnx Susan for getting us back online. I thought for a sec the site was gone.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •