Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

First laser appointment on March 5th, should I take steps to make sure my skin is as pale as possibl

Started by Dana Thompson, January 22, 2019, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Thompson

Would it be smart to put high spf sunscreen on everyday until then so my skin is as pale as possible? Would that be bad for me? Do you think it would make much difference? I live in Minnesota and it's the middle of winter so I won't be getting much sun anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dana Thompson on January 22, 2019, 09:06:07 PM
Would it be smart to put high spf sunscreen on everyday until then so my skin is as pale as possible? Would that be bad for me? Do you think it would make much difference? I live in Minnesota and it's the middle of winter so I won't be getting much sun anyway.

I used to live up there, the only thing that you can get at this time of the year, is a shortage of vitamin D!

I live in southern Florida, and I had my first laser thing done in early fall, and they did not care if I had a tan or not!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Margarine

Hydrate, moisturize, DO NOT use a depilatory. Ask the place where you are going how close they want you to shave. If doing the face, NUMB the upper lip, you can get numbing creams from your MD or online. Cover the cream with plastic wrap and put it on at least an hour before going. I would stuff my face with ice prior to going. Laser hit most of the dark hairs, the blonde, reds and whites are dying to the thunderstick (electrolysis)  body hair went away fast once I started HRT.
I hoped some of that helped.
  •  

Dana Thompson

Thank you for your advice! I already have a sort of olive skin tone so I am worried about the effectiveness of laser. I do have dark hair tho.

•  

Linde

The pain felt of laser seems to be different for everybody.  I did not do anything, just did not shave for about 3 days (my beard is growing very slow), ideally you want that 5 o'clock shadow for it.  I did not use any numbing stuff,or any ice, I just went with my every day face.  I had it done now for 3 times, and it was nothing to write home about, but it was very bearable pain wise.  And the little pain that one feels, is over in no time again. It could, of course, be that us people from Minnesnowta are so much tougher than the rest of them?  After all, we are used to the stinging cold on our faces?

•  

Dana Thompson

Quote from: Dietlind on January 23, 2019, 09:29:55 AM
The pain felt of laser seems to be different for everybody.  I did not do anything, just did not shave for about 3 days (my beard is growing very slow), ideally you want that 5 o'clock shadow for it.  I did not use any numbing stuff,or any ice, I just went with my every day face.  I had it done now for 3 times, and it was nothing to write home about, but it was very bearable pain wise.  And the little pain that one feels, is over in no time again. It could, of course, be that us people from Minnesnowta are so much tougher than the rest of them?  After all, we are used to the stinging cold on our faces?

It's probably the Minnesota thing. When I called to make the appointment, they told me to shave as closely as possible before. You heard something different?

•  

Linde

Quote from: Dana Thompson on January 23, 2019, 10:08:37 AM
It's probably the Minnesota thing. When I called to make the appointment, they told me to shave as closely as possible before. You heard something different?

They wanted me to have ever so little of a stubble.  The 5 o'clock/sandpaper feeling, because it made it easier for them to see where I had dark hair growing (I had a mixture of dark and gray hair, now I have only gray left).
For me, the scary thing will start now, the electrolysis, everybody here says how much that hurts.
But I would say, nothing can hurt as much as having professional microneedeling done to your face so your skin renews itself.  I lived through this without medication, I bet I an also live through electrolysis!

Good luck with your laser session, you will like the result!

•  

zirconia

The laser clinic I used always treated the entire area—not just where the nurse technician could see hairs. it also absolutely required a close shave—as close as possible, and preferably done right before the treatment session. Any client who showed up with stubble was billed for a shave done by the clinic before commencing.

The reason given was that the more stubble present in and above the epidermis the more energy dissipated at the surface where it could do no damage to the roots. According to the doctor this also raised the risk of burns, which in turn required the use of a lower setting.

FWIW, the laser used was a lightsheer XC. This was several years ago, so it may of course be that newer models are somehow able to bypass/ignore all bits near the skin surface and deliver energy just to the roots...  Anyway, my final setting of 39 joules got rid of all but whites. Clients who wanted all vellus hair gone sometimes went quite a bit higher.
  •  

Kate.claire

I've had laser in numerous areas over the last several years, started with face, moved onto legs, bikini, underarms, and stomach. I had those treatments over the entirety of the years, so sometimes had gotten more sun. It's best to be pale as you can, as they vary the power settings based on not wanting to burn you if you have too much color. In my case, my base skin tone was very tolerant (aka very white). I'd say, try to avoid sun, but you don't need to be crazy paranoid about slathering the spf unless you are out in the sun all the time... it's more of an issue here in San Diego. ;). I've gotten great results, tan or not, and never once had a burn mark or found it anything more than uncomfortably hot at times... okay... a bit of a lie... the upper lip feels like someone unleashed angry bees on your lip, but it is over in a snap.
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

AnneK

QuoteI live in Minnesota and it's the middle of winter so I won't be getting much sun anyway.

I'd be more worried about frostbite!   ;)

When I went for laser, I didn't worry about a tan.  I only had to shave the area.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Sophiaprincess2019

I had my 2nd laser appointment a few days ago. 1st time was definitely most painful but nothing compared with the anxiety of thinking of myself as a man for the rest of my life, so it was time to pull up my big girl panties!

laser tech told me to shave as close as possible for each session and no makeup. I applied a moisturizer and away I went. 2nd appointment was much easier and she whizzed over my face with ease. After two appointments I'm pleased with the result. I have three more appts for my face then we move to by chest.

Don't sweat this: there's probably more hype than anything with laser hair removal. After your initial appointment you'll probably laugh at yourself.

Remember this: with each "zap" you get another millimeter closer to being the beautiful woman you always wanted.

Sophia
1968 Born male but actually girl
1978 Played in girl clothes
1988 Dressed in girl clothes
1998 Wanted to be a girl socially
2008 Trying lying to myself
2018 Dreamed of becoming a girl
12-8-2018 Knew I was a woman
2-22-2019 Started HRT
  •  

Dana Thompson

Thanks! I'm not worried about the pain, it's totally going to be worth it. I just want to maximize effectiveness. I appreciate your reply!

•