Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

First transphobic motion in UK

Started by Alice (nym), January 23, 2019, 03:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice (nym)

On Thursday 24th January 2019, Gateshead Council will become the first council in the UK to put forward a transphobic motion. The motion is being led by Labour councils and because the council is Labour led, there is a very real chance that the motion could pass if not withdrawn.

The timing of the motion in light of what is happening in the USA and the recent Supreme Court Judgement, would make it appear to the general public that Gateshead Council is coming out in support of President Trump.

My local trans group are fighting the motion. After failing to have the motion dropped quietly, we are now pursuing a more open approach to having the motion blocked at council. If passed it will bring the northeast England into disrepute and send a message to the world that Gateshead Council supports President Trump's attempts at eradicating transgender people - even if that is not their intention, perception is everything.

Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

Alice (nym)

•  

Alice (nym)

Update:  My local trans group have managed to have the motion deferred until after public consultation. The fight is not over by a long way, but at least we now have time to better organise and prepare our arguments.
  •  

LizK

Great effort Alice...sounds like you are in for the long haul
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •