Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An Adelaide Girls VFS surgery

Started by LizK, January 23, 2019, 05:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Apparently I had the widest gap he had ever seen....Not sure if I am just "special" or it is related to my cleft palate.  But you can easily see the huge difference it made

I did a pitch test today which was a simple graph showing where your voice now falls as far as pitch goes and my average came out  as upper end of female scale considering it was middle to upper end of male scale pre surgery(on my best day)

I will do. more accurate test when I can find a tool that will do,it effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Ayla

Liz
Glad to see that all is going well and very much to plan. Your doctor seems very experienced and confident in his technique.  It is certainly looking like a real alternative to Yeson being local, cheaper and involves a shorter period of silence post op.  Really appreciate the posts.
Safe travels
Aisla
  •  

LizK

Update 30 days PO VFS

I had my first voice therapy on Saturday post op. I am not suffering any pain from the op and am able to speak most days with out too much of an issue. I use the term speak loosely and I think Cindy can attest to what I mean as she has actually heard me. My voice fluctuates from day to day but each day it does get a little better.

It remains very weak and somewhat hoarse but every now and then I will find a good patch where is sounds a bit better. Of course on Saturday when I saw my voice therapist I could hardly get it working at all. It has been really hot here in Adelaide and I tend to sleep with my mouth open creating some issues for me first thing in the morning. In this case the issues seemed to be all day but today it seems to be back to where it was so maybe some anxiety was involved in yesterdays issues. 

We did look at different techniques for smoothing out parts of my voice but I think she felt I need a bit more time to heal before we will be able to get a good pitch reading and see what area's need worked on. 

One of the issues I have is that I spend most of my days on my own and then will suddenly have a phone call. It normally takes a few minutes to warm my voice up and can tend to just "blow air" when I am anxious or until it warms up. I have some breathing exercises to help with that along with trying to find a tone or sound that I create and hold steady.

I will try and get a sample uploaded of my current voice and my old voice however I am not sure if there is a site similar to Imgur for voice recording? Anyone have any suggestions

The reaction I get is very different from most people and I have had several conversation about my "bad throat"
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Really Liz, it is difficult to imagine you having a hard time talking.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Cindy

Quote from: Laurie on March 03, 2019, 12:53:32 AM
Really Liz, it is difficult to imagine having a hard time talking.

I have to say that when I caught up with Liz when she was banned from talking she could burn up a whiteboard with ease. I could hardly fit a word in the margin!
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on March 03, 2019, 12:53:32 AM
Really Liz, it is difficult to imagine you having a hard time talking.

:icon_censored: :icon_evil_laugh:  :icon_eyebrow: :icon_evil_laugh::icon_eyebrow:
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Cindy on March 03, 2019, 12:58:20 AM
I have to say that when I caught up with Liz when she was banned from talking she could burn up a whiteboard with ease. I could hardly fit a word in the margin!

;D ;D ;D ;D
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jessica

Liz, when you're ready, I'd love to hear the difference on Skype sometime.  Maybe when I'm visiting Michelle and Laurie? 

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Ayla

Quote from: LizK on January 31, 2019, 04:25:51 PM
About 20minutes from surgery..all gowned up in the waiting room ready to go through...feeling really nervous...definitely more so than my GCS... go figure lol should be back in the land of the living about 11am

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liz
I am a few months behind you.  Your surgeon sounds very happy with your progress.  When does he think you will recover from the surgery and your voice will settle at its final pitch?  I am trying to get a sense as to my next 18 mths with gcs, ba and FUE ahead of me. Suspect that there won't be a lot of travel or too much exercise.
Your family haven't been very supportive.  I am not holding my breath either as my wife has asked for a divorce.  I feel that I absolutely need to move interstate just to find better support, be closer to the surgeons and to complete the social transition without folk criticising my decisions.
Thoughts welcome.  Your transition threads have been very, very useful.  Thank you.
Safe travels
Aisla
  •  

LizK

Here are my voice samples the first being a Pre VFS reading of the opening page of Conundrum
Pre vfs

This second being Post VFS. My voice is still a bit rough but it will give you an idea of the change in pitch
Post VFS

Please let me know if the pinks do not work

Enjoy...
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Dena

You still have a lot of swelling from the surgery and this is far from where your voice will settle out. The pitch will change and you will gain more control over your voice given some time. It's unfortunate that you need to wait possibly over a year for your voice to approach it's final form. The good news is your definitely in the feminine range and it will only get better with time.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

EmmaD

Hi Liz,

The recordings work perfectly well.  By way of background, I am a Yeson graduate (Feb 2017) but I wouldn't say I am particularly evangelical about it!  Once I made the decision to go to Dr Kim, I was buying into his program.

That all said, I just went back to my medical file to look at the post-op instructions (these may have changed a bit since then).  Yeson required 7-day complete voice rest period but recommended 1 month.  I did the month of silence which is interesting when you are travelling internationally.  They then recommend not much talking for the 2nd month.  After that, you start the voice exercises 5 times a day.  I couldn't do 5 times as I work for a living which is something doctors involved in trans surgeries seem to intentionally ignore (voice and dilation!). So I made do with 2 long sessions a day.

The reason I raise this is that Dr Kim recommends a very long period of voice rest and recuperation.  As I understand it, this is for 2 reasons.  Firstly, while the wound may have healed, as Dena said swelling may not have.  The second reason is that it allows some of the muscle memory to go so that when you start talking again,  you can train the muscle groups without as much interference.  I can't comment any more on whether or not that works.  Dr Kim also injected botox at 1 week post surgery to disable the muscles and I was taking other pills for few months after that.  Some things like singing have to wait much longer and every new use like that  is tested at very low volumes to see if it is going to cause too much strain.

My thoughts are to give yourself time with this.  At 35 days, your voice sounds to me like it needs more recovery time and it is not quite ready yet.  Proviso - Your doctor and voice therapist may have a different approach and you should follow their advice.  For all that, the pitch is there.

After 2 years, I don't have a perfect female voice (for want of an easier term) and age may have something to do with this.  Muscle changes are possibly not that effective as we get older.  I did find that do some exercises first thing in the morning does set it up nicely.  Whenever I do a pitch test, my F0 is 220Hz which is perfectly fine to me.

Time is the key.

Keep well.

Emma

•  

Drexy/Drex

wow Liz  definite pitch change and it will get better.... 😊
hmmm i thinking 😉👍
thanks for posting
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

LizK

@Dena
Quote from: Dena on March 09, 2019, 09:12:02 AM
You still have a lot of swelling from the surgery and this is far from where your voice will settle out. The pitch will change and you will gain more control over your voice given some time. It's unfortunate that you need to wait possibly over a year for your voice to approach it's final form. The good news is your definitely in the feminine range and it will only get better with time.

Thanks Dena I appreciate the advice. I have been told by both my therapist and my Surgeon that time is the key and that the recovery will take a year or more to be 100% where I want it. I agree with your observations in that yes my voice as a long way to go.  My pitch is changing almost on a a daily basis as the area heals and the swelling slowly goes down. As far as control goes ...lol there is not a whole lot of that going on...I am grateful just be able to make myself understood. Thanks for the encouragement it means a lot coming from those who know about this stuff...I am a complete novice to it all.

Quote from: EmmaD on March 09, 2019, 06:10:45 PM

Hi Liz,

The recordings work perfectly well.  By way of background, I am a Yeson graduate (Feb 2017) but I wouldn't say I am particularly evangelical about it!  Once I made the decision to go to Dr Kim, I was buying into his program.

That all said, I just went back to my medical file to look at the post-op instructions (these may have changed a bit since then).  Yeson required 7-day complete voice rest period but recommended 1 month.  I did the month of silence which is interesting when you are travelling internationally.  They then recommend not much talking for the 2nd month.  After that, you start the voice exercises 5 times a day.  I couldn't do 5 times as I work for a living which is something doctors involved in trans surgeries seem to intentionally ignore (voice and dilation!). So I made do with 2 long sessions a day.

The reason I raise this is that Dr Kim recommends a very long period of voice rest and recuperation.  As I understand it, this is for 2 reasons.  Firstly, while the wound may have healed, as Dena said swelling may not have.  The second reason is that it allows some of the muscle memory to go so that when you start talking again,  you can train the muscle groups without as much interference.  I can't comment any more on whether or not that works.  Dr Kim also injected botox at 1 week post surgery to disable the muscles and I was taking other pills for few months after that.  Some things like singing have to wait much longer and every new use like that  is tested at very low volumes to see if it is going to cause too much strain.

My thoughts are to give yourself time with this.  At 35 days, your voice sounds to me like it needs more recovery time and it is not quite ready yet.  Proviso - Your doctor and voice therapist may have a different approach and you should follow their advice.  For all that, the pitch is there.

After 2 years, I don't have a perfect female voice (for want of an easier term) and age may have something to do with this.  Muscle changes are possibly not that effective as we get older.  I did find that do some exercises first thing in the morning does set it up nicely.  Whenever I do a pitch test, my F0 is 220Hz which is perfectly fine to me.

Time is the key.

Keep well.

Emma

@EmmaD

Hi Emma

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my voice and give the advice you have. As I mentioned to Dena I really appreciate ladies like you and her who are knowledgeable about this stuff giving your thoughts on my progress.

I have to say I was really surprised about the post op instructions I received. 3 Days silence from day 4 minimal talking up to day 14...in my case as I spend most of my days on my own I spoke very rarely in the first couple of weeks. Since my appointment with the surgeon her wanted me to wait a further 2 weeks and then start voice therapy. As it turns out my voice therapist listened to me and advised a further month before we try and do anything significant with my voice. She also talked about months and months of recovery, also that my voice was a long way from where it will finish.

There was no medications apart from pain meds and certainly no Botox. I have heard the results of my surgeons work and  they have been very pleasing. I understand the reason fro the rest and think the idea of the muscle memory being lost as a valuable thing. I am having to learn how to speak all over again and find certain things seem to come a bit more naturally. There are still many days that I will hardly speak at all as I am at home and my partner works...then when I do speak it is not for long as my voice is not strong enough. I spoke with Michelle and Laurie on Skype yesterday and could not manage a huge amount of time and was pretty much silent for the rest of the day.

I have noticed over the last few days that I can now actually speak first thing in the morning without having to worry about just "pushing air" like I have every other morning since surgery. My surgeon said to me that part of the problem with not speaking is the muscles begin to atrophy very quickly which makes for a longer recovery. He encouraged gentle use of my voice no whispering, no yelling (lol like I could) turn down noise in the immediate vicinity and if I felt strained in any way to stop and take a break. I have tried to follow these as much as I can...the only real discomfort comes from sleeping with my mouth open and my throat gets really sore...I found (especially in the recent heatwave) that ice blocks feel amazing to soothe my throat. Apart from this I have had not real discomfort.

As far as pitch goes the very quick tests I have done all put me smack bang in the middle of feminie range...the same test prior, even using my trained voice, put me just into the Androgynous range...I mean only just. As both you and Dena have suggested my final voice and pitch will sound different from where it is now. My therapist described that I have to train my voice which is now using a part of my vocal chords it has never usually used to work as my everyday voice and this is just going to take time. Once again I really appreciate you thoughts and advice.

Quote from: Drexy/Drex on March 10, 2019, 04:05:43 AM
wow Liz  definite pitch change and it will get better....
hmmm i thinking
thanks for posting

@Drexy/Drex

Hi Drexy

As both Dena and Emma have said my voice has a long way to go and will change a fair bit over the next 11 months. I am pitching in the feminie range at about 250htz (will come down a bit) at the moment. I have a few basic exercises to do but apart from that I will have to wait until the swelling subsides a bit more before going on to more. I have noticed already a difference in the way people react to me as the hesitation when I used to speak is gone...they hear me speak and in their minds assign me as female...I would like it to stabilise a bit more but essentially I wanted to remove the "hesitation" (deciding on gender?) I detected with people who had not met me. That has gone...so far so good. The surgeon is very accomplished and looks after the voice needs for all the famous singers who come to this part of the world and by that I am told Australia wide.

Thanks for the input ladies

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

MichelleVindee

Hello Liz,

How interesting. I have really enjoyed your posts and have found them to be so helpful as well as informative. My Voice is a really upsetting part of me.

I hope to go to speech therapy in the next week or so to try and find some sort of help to my frustrations.

I have not considered surgery but a consideration is a must! Lets see what comes of the voice trainig.

Hope you heal fast.
Warm Regards Michelle
  •  

LizK

Quote from: MichelleVindee on March 10, 2019, 11:50:32 PM
Hello Liz,

How interesting. I have really enjoyed your posts and have found them to be so helpful as well as informative. My Voice is a really upsetting part of me.

I hope to go to speech therapy in the next week or so to try and find some sort of help to my frustrations.

I have not considered surgery but a consideration is a must! Lets see what comes of the voice trainig.

Hope you heal fast.

Hi Michelle

I am glad you are able to get something from my postings. it makes it all worthwhile. I don't know if surgery is for everyone but for me whenever I became emotional or under stress my voice training flew out the window and once that bird has flown there is no getting it back. Even with voice training I would speak and most new people would have a slight hesitation before addressing me. After discussions with my trans friends who have also experienced this I put it down to the mismatch is what people see and hear...now as far as I can tell even with my new scratchy voice it appears there is a match between the expectation of what they are seeing and what they are hearing.

Good luck with the voice therapy...I haven't escaped that, its just different now, its about trying to learn how to use my new voice.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Drexy/Drex

So roughly 80_90 hertz higher for the start
when i heard your previous voice and it was in the range of 156 hertz
i thought how lucky you were.... my average is about 100
its really fantastic how people treat you differently now
you were right in your postulation!!
it definitely is so important
i think i will be paying your surgeon a visit
btw what voice pitch analysis did you use?
was that average previous voice using your trained voice?
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Drexy/Drex on March 11, 2019, 01:14:50 AM
So roughly 80_90 hertz higher for the start
when i heard your previous voice and it was in the range of 156 hertz
i thought how lucky you were.... my average is about 100
its really fantastic how people treat you differently now
you were right in your postulation!!
it definitely is so important
i think i will be paying your surgeon a visit
btw what voice pitch analysis did you use?
was that average previous voice using your trained voice?

@Drexy/Drex

My average with my trained voice was 147 HTZ (taken by my voice therapist)with my normal voice such as the reading I did it is about 120htz so without trying at the moment its about 250htz...that will change...the first week it was 320mhz.

I use PRAAT which there is a link for in the stickies, along with a really important tutorial to make it work
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

LizK

So I am now about 90 days Post op and I have placed a couple of recordings here for comparison. I pitch somewhere around 220 to 250 and there is now very little variance in that. I am now at the pint where I don't even hear the difference anymore and my voice is my voice. However when you compare it to the pre VFS there is an obvious difference.

I am absolutely thrilled with the outcome and continue to do some voice work concentrating on the other aspects of voice other than pitch. My surgeon expects my voice to smooth out a bit more and I will gain strength over time. I can manage about 5 or so minutes before my voice begins to "break" but that gets better each week. This morning whilst doing this recording I felt a little strained which sometimes occur if I have done a lot of talking the previous day (which I did yesterday) but having said that this recording is a really good indicator of how I now sound. I can without any real effort pitch higher but my voice seems to fall naturally around this level.

Post VFS 91 days

Pre VFS

Regards

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •