Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Tipping for Facial Hair Removal

Started by Lacy, January 31, 2019, 11:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lacy

Is tipping for hair removal the standard practice? I have always tipped my hairdresser well since she has the power to make me look beautiful or horrible!

I realize that a laser technician isn't the same thing and costs so much more for a single session. I was curious to see what the general consensus was on whether or not to tip them.

Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Jessica

When I started electrolysis I wondered the same thing.  I asked my girlfriends what they did.  They give a nice tip at the holidays, which I did.  But I've now accelerated my treatments (about 20 a month) and am now considering a monthly one.  If I give $5 per session, it could come out to about $100.  I only pay a co-pay of $20 per day worth and if I have 2 sessions in one day, that comes out to only $10 each treatment.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Linde

I tip at my skin care place who does the laser and everything about 10% of the bill.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jaime320

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been hitting the 15% button or leaving $30 sessions are usually 1-2 hrs
  •  

Kate.claire

I typically tip around $20 for an hour long session.  Makes up for my wife,  who never tips. 
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

KathyLauren

I give my electrocutioner a gift at Christmas.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

heather3791

I don't tip my electrolysis person. She is the owner of the business and has made a $hit-ton of money off me. $85 bucks per hour and now 75 hours completed just on my chin...and we are still on my chin! Anyway, you can do the math on that. I did give her a Christmas gift though. Now for something like a business owner cutting my hair every 4 weeks (not every single week at 2-hour sessions) and charging a much lower $15 bucks I absolutely tip. But the way I see it she is doing just fine with her normal hourly charge which is terribly expensive for me. Just sayin!
  •  

AnneK

My understanding is you tip employees, not the owner or manager.  When I went for laser, it was the owner who worked on me, not an employee.  Also, given the cost, I think it would be like tipping at the dentist.  I don't tip the dentist or hygienist.  On the other hand, I tip for hair cuts and manicure/pedicure, unless the owner works on me.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: AnneK on February 01, 2019, 08:39:11 AMAlso, given the cost, I think it would be like tipping at the dentist.  I don't tip the dentist or hygienist.
This year, I did give my dentist a gift.  She was extra nice to me during the year, giving me dental blocks to numb my lips for electrolysis several times at no charge.  She deserved something.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

AshleyP

Quote from: RealLacy on January 31, 2019, 11:05:03 PM
I was curious to see what the general consensus was on whether or not to tip them.

My electrologist has a blurb on her website that tips will not be accepted.

All the best,
--AshleyP
  •  

Anne Blake

My electrologist is an employee and works for a wage. I tip her $20 per session which for me is a 2 to 4 hour total clearing of both above and below every month and a half.
  •  

Lacy

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. It definitely seems to differ between whether the process is Laser or Electrolysis. I cannot find any licensed electrolysis in Iowa. I decided to start with laser since that is really my only choice at the moment.

I have my first session on Wednesday. I have been to 2 consultations at 2 separate places. They both said about 6 to 8 sessions would be needed. At $200 a session that is $1600. I can see tipping more on that if their policy applies.

When I talked to an electrolysis technician in Illinois about 2 hours away they quoted a heck of a lot of time at a steep price for a session. The overall cost would be several thousands of dollars more. That would be super expensive even without tipping.

I do feel much more prepared going into the session. Having this beard gone is going to be so huge!

•  

DawnOday

Lacy... Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal. Laser will only retard regrowth but it will come back for quite a while before giving up, if ever.  It's not cheap. I'm lucky to have one of the best in the Seattle Tacoma area and she charge a dollar a minute. So far I have had in the neighborhood of 65 one hour sessions and just under $4000. Nanci removes between 300 and 400 hairs an hour depending if I used my lidocaine / prilocaine numbing cream. It also matter how sensitive your skin is and prone to redness. For me the redness goes away in about a half hour. I have only my mustache area left and it will be painful no matter what. The really great thing is that I have made a friend for life. Nanci has in the neighborhood of 80 transgender friends. I don't know where you live in Iowa but here is one I found in Davenport,  Kiddoo-Halanson, Susan L.
Precision Electrolysis
2715 W 63rd Street, Suite 1
Davenport, IA 52806
Phone: (563) 349-0567
Email: jshakanson@Juno.com
Treats Transgendered persons.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jaime320

Quote from: RealLacy on February 02, 2019, 10:37:04 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. It definitely seems to differ between whether the process is Laser or Electrolysis. I cannot find any licensed electrolysis in Iowa. I decided to start with laser since that is really my only choice at the moment.

I have my first session on Wednesday. I have been to 2 consultations at 2 separate places. They both said about 6 to 8 sessions would be needed. At $200 a session that is $1600. I can see tipping more on that if their policy applies.

When I talked to an electrolysis technician in Illinois about 2 hours away they quoted a heck of a lot of time at a steep price for a session. The overall cost would be several thousands of dollars more. That would be super expensive even without tipping.

I do feel much more prepared going into the session. Having this beard gone is going to be so huge!

Not sure where in IL is 2 hour away. It may be worth the drive towards Chicago. There are several electrolysis places in the burbs. Anywhere from full clearings to half hour session, $3500-$30. Laser so far in my experience runs $60 a session.

Also check with insurance as they may cover electrolysis. They want medically licensed places, but waive it in states where licensing not required.
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: Jaime320 on February 03, 2019, 10:15:45 AM
Not sure where in IL is 2 hour away. It may be worth the drive towards Chicago. There are several electrolysis places in the burbs. Anywhere from full clearings to half hour session, $3500-$30. Laser so far in my experience runs $60 a session.

Also check with insurance as they may cover electrolysis. They want medically licensed places, but waive it in states where licensing not required.
A trip to Chicago for a full face clearing would definitely be something I would consider!
Do you by chance know a reputable place there that provides a full clearing? How long do they take to do that? I would love to be able to just get the whole thing done at once!

•  

Lacy

Quote from: DawnOday on February 03, 2019, 01:18:05 AM
Lacy... Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal. Laser will only retard regrowth but it will come back for quite a while before giving up, if ever.  It's not cheap. I'm lucky to have one of the best in the Seattle Tacoma area and she charge a dollar a minute. So far I have had in the neighborhood of 65 one hour sessions and just under $4000. Nanci removes between 300 and 400 hairs an hour depending if I used my lidocaine / prilocaine numbing cream. It also matter how sensitive your skin is and prone to redness. For me the redness goes away in about a half hour. I have only my mustache area left and it will be painful no matter what. The really great thing is that I have made a friend for life. Nanci has in the neighborhood of 80 transgender friends. I don't know where you live in Iowa but here is one I found in Davenport,  Kiddoo-Halanson, Susan L.
Precision Electrolysis
2715 W 63rd Street, Suite 1
Davenport, IA 52806
Phone: (563) 349-0567
Email: jshakanson@Juno.com
Treats Transgendered persons.
Wow! Thank you so much Dawn! I have no idea why she never showed up in my searches for electrolysis in Iowa. I will definitely be giving her a call!

Thanks!
Lacy

•  

Jaime320

Quote from: RealLacy on February 03, 2019, 10:33:52 AM
A trip to Chicago for a full face clearing would definitely be something I would consider!
Do you by chance know a reputable place there that provides a full clearing? How long do they take to do that? I would love to be able to just get the whole thing done at once!

Dr Z has two places on site that do full clearings. Kelly's will do it also. There's a few recent threads around I'll try to findlink. Takes 1-2 days depending on coverage.
  •  

Jaime320

@reallacy I don't think we can post links to businesses directly, but hope this helps.

Others experience at dr z and Kelly's.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,235494.20.html

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244247.0.html

•  

Wendi

Quote from: Jessica on January 31, 2019, 11:23:16 PM
When I started electrolysis I wondered the same thing.  I asked my girlfriends what they did.  They give a nice tip at the holidays, which I did.  But I've now accelerated my treatments (about 20 a month) and am now considering a monthly one.  If I give $5 per session, it could come out to about $100.  I only pay a co-pay of $20 per day worth and if I have 2 sessions in one day, that comes out to only $10 each treatment.

Jessica, Did you need something from your Dr to get insurance to pay?
Started HRT 1/3/2019

•