Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Has anyone else lost half their lower lip from chin and jaw reduction?

Started by GlobalPessimum, March 01, 2019, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlobalPessimum

I certainly have. This is before jaw and chin reduction:

And this is after:

Half the height of my lower lip is gone! It is also much thinner and flatter now and it has lost its curl (you can't see the curl in these pictures though, because I'm smiling).

Also, my lower lip is incredibly tight and I have trouble speaking clearly sometimes even two years after FFS.

Is that supposed to be normal, somehow?

Edited to add side view pictures that show things more clearly.
Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone - John Maynard Keynes.
  •  

PurplePelican

Not an expert on this by any means, but I can see how the lip would move if you change some of it's anchor points.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: PurplePelican on March 01, 2019, 05:32:37 PM
Not an expert on this by any means, but I can see how the lip would move if you change some of it's anchor points.

Thank you for replying - what do you mean by "anchor points"? It seems that this was the result of over-tight suturing. In the pictures I posted you can see the originally straight shaped muscle under my lips is now curved inwards from the tension of the stitches.
Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone - John Maynard Keynes.
  •  

Rachel

Hi, It looks like you had a mid face lift too. Is that correct?

I had extensive FFS including chin and mandible reduction. I had a mid and lower face lift. Because I had the face lift with the bone work I was told it would be 80% after the swelling went down.  Anyhow, it looks like you are very tight. Perhaps reviewing the issue with a plastic surgeon would provide some answers.

I was told that a face lift with all the bone work is difficult to get right and the shooting for 80% to 90% is better than overtightening. I was told it was an iterative procedure in this case.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: Rachel on March 02, 2019, 05:45:38 PM
Hi, It looks like you had a mid face lift too. Is that correct?

I had extensive FFS including chin and mandible reduction. I had a mid and lower face lift. Because I had the face lift with the bone work I was told it would be 80% after the swelling went down.  Anyhow, it looks like you are very tight. Perhaps reviewing the issue with a plastic surgeon would provide some answers.

I was told that a face lift with all the bone work is difficult to get right and the shooting for 80% to 90% is better than overtightening. I was told it was an iterative procedure in this case.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I didn't have a facelift between the two pictures. In fact, I had a lot of loose skin left after the chin and jaw reduction, and I had a facelift to address this. But that was after taking the pictures I posted.

I think by "tight" you mean the difference in the fold on the side of my mouth. That is probably an impression caused by the different lighting in the two pictures (both taken by the surgeon).  In truth, I didn't have a fold there unless I smiled (I'm smiling in both pictures). I do now,  and it makes my mouth look even more sunken- as if I had taken a kick to the teeth.
  •  

Celia0428

I am sorry, I can't see any significant different to the shape or size of your lower lip in these photos
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: Celia0428 on March 06, 2019, 02:47:15 PM
I am sorry, I can't see any significant different to the shape or size of your lower lip in these photos

I would point out the shape and height of the muscle under my lower lip. In the first picture, it's a straight column; in the second picture (after the operation), it's curved inside and its height is reduced by half. Surely that is obvious?
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: malinda on March 06, 2019, 09:34:39 PM
I can't see any difference

Perhaps a frontal view is more clear, after all?

Before surgery:

After surgery:
  •  

thelittlemermaid

I also see no difference in your lower lip size! If anything, maybe a tiny more fullness in your upper?
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on March 20, 2019, 07:15:13 PM
I also see no difference in your lower lip size! If anything, maybe a tiny more fullness in your upper?

Look at the distance between my lower lip and the mole on the right side of it in the two pictures.
  •  

thelittlemermaid

Quote from: GlobalPessimum on March 01, 2019, 04:12:13 PM
I certainly have. This is before jaw and chin reduction:

And this is after:

Half the height of my lower lip is gone! It is also much thinner and flatter now and it has lost its curl (you can't see the curl in these pictures though, because I'm smiling).

Also, my lower lip is incredibly tight and I have trouble speaking clearly sometimes even two years after FFS.

Is that supposed to be normal, somehow?

Edited to add side view pictures that show things more clearly.

You know what, I can say that while it may not show in pictures, you may be right as I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and am dealing with the same thing, at least horizontally.
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: thelittlemermaid on April 03, 2019, 01:00:26 PM
You know what, I can say that while it may not show in pictures, you may be right as I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and am dealing with the same thing, at least horizontally.

Hi - sorry, just saw your reply.

You could ask your surgeon directly. I did, and he confirmed that my lower lip was now shorter, and that he had done it on purpose (he thinks it's more feminine this way). He offered a revision since I was not happy with what he had done.
  •  

SnoBrittany

I count myself among those who cannot see any difference in the side view.   In the front view I see a difference but it is not a bad change - just slightly different.   I think your lips look great.
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Quote from: SnoBrittany on April 16, 2019, 11:42:16 PM
I count myself among those who cannot see any difference in the side view.   In the front view I see a difference but it is not a bad change - just slightly different.   I think your lips look great.

Maybe the side view is not that clear.

The surgeon did agree that my lower lip was reduced- he agreed and offered a revision. So it's not just in my mind. At the very least, it's in the surgeon's mind also.
  •