Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Peritoneal Graft and Electrolysis

Started by Shay9999, May 13, 2019, 04:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay9999

So I occasionally find myself on this forum finding answers to some tough questions I have regarding my transition, but I have yet to find someone asking if it's possible to have a peritoneal pull through without electrolysis. I read that there are some surgeons, like Dr. Kathy Rumer, that don't require electrolysis for surgery. Is anyone aware of a surgeon that can perform the hair removal and peritoneal graft? Electrolysis is insanely painful, and at the rate I've been going I won't be able to get surgery done for the next 3-4 years, and I'm in a "sooner the better" mindset, as I don't want this surgery or the prep work for it to interrupt my education.
If you ever feel like you're unloved, message me. Reach out to me. Seriously. I love you. I'll listen to everything to need to say. I'm running on California time, and I'm a full time student, so if you're expecting a reply, please be patient. But I'll always reply. Thinking of you.
  •  

Dani

I don't think that electrolysis is needed for peritoneal graft.

The only reason for electrolysis is if the skin that is to be used for the vaginal lining has hair, it should be removed permanently before surgery to prevent the hair from growing on the inside of the neo vagina. In a peritoneal graft procedure the peritoneal tissue has no hair, so electrolysis is not needed.

The peritoneal procedure is not common for transgender surgeries. In the past it was almost exclusively used for cis females who had an inadequate vaginal depth. In such surgeries the external labia are already formed. In a transgender surgery the labia must be formed from other available skin, usually scrotal or other nearby tissue. If there is hair on that tissue, it must be removed or it will grow on the inside of the labia.

Electrolysis does not have to be insanely painful. There are a few electrologists who have injected a local anesthetic such as lidocaine that will totally numb the area for hair removal. This can only be done under a doctors supervision. Other electrologists use a numbing cream that helps reduce, but not completely eliminate the pain of electrolysis.

I am sorry that I cannot give you a better answer. In my dreams years ago, I wished that I could just walk into a doctors office and walk out a few days later just completely transformed. It never worked out that way.  :'(

Electrolysis hurts. Surgery hurts. Recovery hurts. However, when all this is behind you, the rest of your life is priceless!  :laugh:
  •  

Shay9999

I guess I'm coming off as a lot more impatient than I intended, my apologies. This isn't my first surgery to help me conform to my gender, and it may not be the last if I get a decent job after university.

There are doctors that do peritoneal grafts for M2F patients, like Dr. Heidi Wittenberg in San Francisco. However, her offices do require electrolysis on the penile shaft, scrotum, 1" around the base of the penis, and in a 2.5" width leading from the scrotum to the anus. That's a lot of electrolysis, a lot of pain for something I'm aware other medical doctors can take care of.

And thank you for all of your kind words of encouragement. Even the progress I've made so far has changed my life for the better so much. I'm excited for the 'end' of this transition.
If you ever feel like you're unloved, message me. Reach out to me. Seriously. I love you. I'll listen to everything to need to say. I'm running on California time, and I'm a full time student, so if you're expecting a reply, please be patient. But I'll always reply. Thinking of you.
  •  

Dorit

If you have not already found it there is a lot of discussion of peritoneal graft in the "Transitioning GCS " section of the forum.   Also, this was previously posted about electrolysis, some surgeons no longer require it. 
  •  

Linde

Most of my genital hair was very successfully removed with a few laser session.  Laser hair removal is way less painful than electrolysis.  You might want to check into laser removal for your surgery.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

AnonyMs

There's plenty of cases of post-op vaginal hair, so while the surgeon might not require it that doesn't mean necessarily mean you don't. I'd be very careful researching your surgeon also.
  •  

Shay9999

It seems I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions but @AnonyMs is absolutely right that now matter where I go I'll need to do my research very carefully.

@Linde I heard laser isn't permanent. Has that led to any complications?
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Shay9999 on May 15, 2019, 11:25:04 AM
It seems I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions but @AnonyMs is absolutely right that now matter where I go I'll need to do my research very carefully.

@Linde I heard laser isn't permanent. Has that led to any complications?
I have most of my hair removed about 10 weeks ago, and just needed some touch up yesterday.  i am now smooth as a baby bottom!  But I have to say it again, i did not have much hair down there and never got really an adult hair growth.  I would say that I was about Tanner stage III, concerning the amount and the structure of my pubic hair.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•