Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

You know you're a woman

Started by Aurelia, May 20, 2019, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelia

You know you're a woman when you've just applied the last coat of nail varnish and you brush against something and ruin it.

You know you're a woman when you find yourself changing a flat tyre because there's nobody around and it's not going to change itself no matter how hard you stamp your foot.

You know you're a woman when you go to pay for your lovely new set of acrylic nails and you remember that the reason that you haven't done this in a while is because you can no longer pick up coins or do up the clasp on your necklace.

You know you're a woman when you cook for a dozen people and they all go back for second helpings, (which is actually lucky because you've cooked too much in the first place).

You know you're a woman when you try on a piece of clothing in a store and it looks fantastic and you just know that somehow the store mirror is lying.

You know you're a woman when you absolutely hate mowing the lawn because the lawn clippings get absolutely everywhere!

You know you're a woman when you get ready to go out in the morning and all you see in the mirror is a dumpling that couldn't possibly be seen in public. You know that your own mirror wouldn't lie to you and you have to go out anyway.

You know you're a woman when your children very slowly, quietly and subtly let you know that they prefer that you don't contact them again.

You know you're a woman when you give a presentation to a steely eyed boardroom and you just know that there are going to be 'ramifications'.

You know you're a woman when you walk by the shops and catch a glimpse of an elegant woman and realise it's your own reflection in a window.

You know you're a woman when a man smiles at you and the woman on his arm scowls.

You know you're a woman when you lecture to a hall full of undergraduates and slowly some of the glazed looks turn to glimmers of understanding.

You know you're a woman when you wake in the middle of the night wrapped in his arms because he's just gently kissed you on the nape of your neck and you feel walls around your heart that you didn't know were there crumble and a light of quiet joy that you've never felt before enfold you.

You know you're a woman when assembling IKEA stuff is kind of fun!

You know you're a woman when you find his sweaty smell kind of nice, though doing his washing is very boring.

You know you're a woman when you're staring out the window and he brings you a coffee and slips his arm around your waist and quietly whispers "Cara mia".

You know you're a woman when six weeks later he is taken away and you just know that whatever else might happen in life, it will be just a bit greyer than it otherwise might have been.
  •  

HappyMoni

My reaction to this is a mixture of "Yeah," recognition, sadness, longing, and a fair amount of being turned on. Nuttin simple about being a woman! Good job!
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Lady Sarah

You know you're a woman when you give a man advice, and he gets angry at you for doing so.

You know you're a woman when you can't do anything with a man around, because he will try to tell you how to do it.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

jkredman

Quote from: HappyMoni on May 20, 2019, 08:48:32 PM
Nuttin simple about being a woman!

But it sure feels a whole lot better than the alternative!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •  

randim

Wait, wait...  It's not about folding a fitted sheet?
  •  

Linde

I must not be a woman, because I cannot stand this smell:  "You know you're a woman when you find his sweaty smell kind of nice".  And why, in my right mind, would I want to do his laundry?  He should know by now how to push a few buttons!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Victoria L.

Quote from: Linde on May 23, 2019, 10:12:49 PM
I must not be a woman, because I cannot stand this smell:  "You know you're a woman when you find his sweaty smell kind of nice".  And why, in my right mind, would I want to do his laundry?  He should know by no how to push a few buttons!

Yeah, I don't take kindly to this idea of having to be heterosexual to be a woman. Nevertheless, I doubt that was the original poster's intent, but it does come off badly.

Men most definitely should learn how to do their own laundry. It isn't complicated at all. It becomes much less work when divided from person to person in a household as opposed to just one person doing it all. But men are conditioned to not care about the unnecessary burden that is placed on a woman.

I ain't ever doing a grown man's laundry unless he is impaired.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Virelai on May 24, 2019, 08:19:27 AM
Yeah, I don't take kindly to this idea of having to be heterosexual to be a woman. Nevertheless, I doubt that was the original poster's intent, but it does come off badly.

Men most definitely should learn how to do their own laundry. It isn't complicated at all. It becomes much less work when divided from person to person in a household as opposed to just one person doing it all. But men are conditioned to not care about the unnecessary burden that is placed on a woman.

When we still lived together as a family (ex and son), my ex had trained us very early to do our own laundry, make our own bed, etc.
I today's world with men and women being part of the work force, household chores are to be share, too!

•  

jkredman

Quote from: Virelai on May 24, 2019, 08:19:27 AM

I think this thread kinda took a left turn, or maybe it was right turn...   Oh hell, I don't know.

For me, laundry and cooking has never had anything to do with my gender dysphoria / identification.

For the last third of my career I was home office based.  Instead of hanging out in the break room, I'd throw a load in the washer, move it into the dryer, or hang it and / or fold it.  I was being more productive than hanging out in the break room for 10 minutes or, worse yet, going outside for a smoke break (I don't smoke!)

Cooking is decided by who has come up with the most tantalizing or intriguing recipe for the meal.  The other takes on the clean up.

Those of us who think men are unconcerned about they unnecessary burdens placed on women need to take a second look at our choice of men!!!!!!!!

High horse here:

God bless my mom. Despite all her illness and faults, she made damn sure I could handle the domestic side of life. 

I lived single just fine. 

When I was forced into single parenthood of my 3 daughters, I easily made sure they were properly fed, had clean clothes that fit, and knew they were loved.  I developed a professional, parental, and domestic routine. 

My maleness or femaleness had no bearing on my choices of action.

Hind site, I do wonder how much was Kate vs. Keith being mom & dad.  I can't help but believe it was Kate that got my oldest daughter through her first periods and my youngest daughter toilet trained.

All that said, I know I'm a woman, not because of what I described above; but because of the crazy concern I have about my appearance.  I know I'm a woman because of the physical empathy I feel toward those I know.  I know that I am a woman because of my desire to be caring and nurturing.  I know that I'm a woman because I feel better as a woman; I have peace with myself.

Kate

Kate
  •  

Linde

Quote from: jkredman on May 25, 2019, 07:31:04 AM
but because of the crazy concern I have about my appearance.  I know I'm a woman because of the physical empathy I feel toward those I know.  I know that I am a woman because of my desire to be caring and nurturing.  I know that I'm a woman because I feel better as a woman; I have peace with myself.

Kate

This!!!!!!

•  

krobinson103

Quote from: Linde on May 23, 2019, 10:12:49 PM
I must not be a woman, because I cannot stand this smell:  "You know you're a woman when you find his sweaty smell kind of nice".  And why, in my right mind, would I want to do his laundry?  He should know by now how to push a few buttons!

Agree I don't need a sweaty man. I have my gorgeous girl friend who smells very nice indeed. :)

How do I know I'm a woman? I just do. I always have and the fact my body now matches is merely icing on the cake!
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Stepheewt

Quote from: randim on May 23, 2019, 09:49:26 PM
Wait, wait...  It's not about folding a fitted sheet?

Lol.....among all the other crazy talk of laundry...this gem....The fitted sheet... ;D...still confounds me..and I always put it on wrong...if that's part of the test to be a woman...I maybe in trouble.

As for doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning, I've always done this as a man. I think the sheer joy I get when simply adding high Lights to my hair or using nail polish. ...now that probably leans me towards knowing I'm a woman. Referring to myself as one of the girls when talking to someone by accident(major slip up, that was laughed off as a joke...ooops) probably tells me Im a woman inside my brain.
Always look forward because the past will never change.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Stepheewt on May 27, 2019, 09:31:02 AM
Referring to myself as one of the girls when talking to someone by accident(major slip up, that was laughed off as a joke...ooops) probably tells me Im a woman inside my brain.

I did exactly the same for years, and everybody thought I was making a joke, but it just slipped out like this.

After I came out, my girlfriends told me "now we know why you always said you were one of the girls"

•  

Rhonda Lynn

I read the list and knew that it wasn't to be taken too seriously. Some things I relate to and others I don't. Cis women aren't all alike and neither are we.

As far as nails go, when I first transitioned I spent a lot of time on my nails and did like how they looked. But as a mechanical engineer often needing to use hand tools, it was very difficult to keep them looking nice. And, I noticed the other engineering women generally didn't do very much with their nails. A few used clear polish and some just left them natural. One cis-woman friend, an electrical engineer, and I went out to lunch one day commented on my nails and said "yours are pretty - I gave up on my nails a long time ago..."

At some point my nails just stopped being a priority.

I do like the smell of my guy.  ;)  And, even better, I like the feel of his muscular arms.

•  

noleen111

You know you're a woman when you wearing a uncomfortable piece of clothing or pair shoes because you know you look amazing wearing it.

I have done this more than once... My BFF and my female coach.. told me women do suffer for beauty and the more uncomfortable the better you look. For me its more about temperature.. when you an outfit and you chanced the weather..e.g. I love wearing dresses and I decide not to wear hosiery and I should have..  or that strapless dress and you dont bring anything to pull over your shoulders.. so you freeze but still look good.. but in the last one.. My husband did notice I was cold and he gave me his jacket.

You know you're a woman when you take longer than 5 minutes to get ready in the morning

I take at least 15 to 20 min to get ready these days, excluding shower... but includes shaving my legs

Quote from: Aurelia on May 20, 2019, 03:18:03 PM
You know you're a woman when you've just applied the last coat of nail varnish and you brush against something and ruin it.

I have done that a few times..
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

Allie Jayne

My wife and I sort of have reversed traditional roles, she does the mowing a bins and I do the cooking, cleaning and laundry. I do get satisfaction by doing these things for her, as I did for the 17 years as a singe dad raising my daughter and son. Actually, she doesn't mind doing the washing, though she puts fluffy towels in with my dark clothes, and hangs everything on the line wrongly, but she refuses to do the ironing. My dear departed Mum had rheumatoid arthritis, so I grew up doing her ironing for her, and I do think of the Sunday evenings I would Iron and we would share our deepest thoughts...

Allie
  •  

Chrissy1

Quote from: krobinson103 on May 26, 2019, 02:31:43 PM
Agree I don't need a sweaty man. I have my gorgeous girl friend who smells very nice indeed. :)

How do I know I'm a woman? I just do. I always have and the fact my body now matches is merely icing on the cake!

I could not agree more with this!! I have my loving wife who loves who I am now. I just know I am a woman and that is the end of it.. hehe I almost have my body matching
  •  

Linde

I sure feel like I am a woman (how does that feel?  I don't know).  But because of the fact that I am that odd mix of chromosome, and genes, I seem to miss that housewife gene, but got the car repair gene instead.

I know that I am a woman, after all I have an ovary, and mostly all the other parts, but I can't make any statement on how I now that I am a woman!

•  

ChrissyRyan

When you also at times do not mind spending time just looking at clothes in a store, instead of going in to buy something specific you need, such as socks. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jessica_K

You know you are a woman when you say "I love your nail etc" to someone you have just met, automatically as you have already scanned her as competition.

BTW it's a great icebreaker.

Jessica
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•