Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

imallie

Quote from: LoriDee on March 16, 2024, 07:50:14 PMThe full-coverage wigs are too hot to wear in the summer. In winter when it's 4 below zero it's a welcome hair hat (as Davina said). The topper only covers the top so my hair is visible flowing out from under. The construction is a monofilament weave with open wefts that allow heat to escape.

I have never heard of the beads, but I believe you are correct. Like extensions that stay in between sessions. Toppers and wigs come off at the end of the day and offer flexibility in color and style. If you are not sure what color you want to go to, why not try a wig or topper to experiment with? If you saw my Progression album, you can see the different styles and colors that I tried.

You have to scroll down past my Army pics.

The Story of Lori Progression

Ok that's what I thought you meant - meaning that the "hair hats" were too hot. From the start, I just didn't want to go that way. The idea of something being more permanently attached — even if it's just for a month at a time, from a lifestyle perspective, really appeals to me.

But we will go meet with this hair lady. She comes highly recommended, and I am always inclined to listen to experts in their field. That's how we learn, and avoid... well, easily avoidable mistakes.

I have seen your timeline photos, Lori. And I just looked again. A) they're remarkable. B) they're remarkable, and C) well, they're remarkable. And since they are remarkable (did I mention that?) I should, by definition, remark on them.  So I will:

With regard to hair, especially, you are someone who very clearly right from the get-go, either listened to someone who knew what they were doing, or just got it. You'd expect, and understand, those first "wow, remember THAT!" pictures when you were just working it all out... but right from the start, it all suited you.

Beyond impressed. It's a really high bar, and I won't be in the least disappointed if I don't get anywhere near it.

Love,
Allie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

LoriDee

You will get there.

I was getting ready for an appointment, so hair make-up, etc. As I was about to walk out the door, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. For the first time in my life I felt like, "Hey, I know you! That's me and I look pretty good." As you try different colors and styles over time, you will get one of those moments.

Hello, Gorgeous!
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie, Sarah B

Gina P

Quote from: LoriDee on March 16, 2024, 08:03:13 PMYou will get there.

I was getting ready for an appointment, so hair make-up, etc. As I was about to walk out the door, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. For the first time in my life I felt like, "Hey, I know you! That's me and I look pretty good." As you try different colors and styles over time, you will get one of those moments.

Hello, Gorgeous!
Well said LoriDee. Those moments are wonderful.

Moonflower

Quote from: imallie on March 16, 2024, 06:13:00 PMMy dentist thought that dental implants would fix my bite and cure my headaches.

My dentist was the one who noticed that my headaches were worsening and suggested that I see a neurologist. He also recommended a number of dental procedures. I followed through on the bite realignment, which stopped my grinding my teeth, but seemed to have no affect on my migraine.
:icon_wave:
1999 we met and married :icon_archery:
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!

Welcome, to Significant Others
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247396.0.html

Our transitioning blog, "Opening The Cage"
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,241591.0.html
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Moonflower on March 17, 2024, 10:16:33 AMMy dentist was the one who noticed that my headaches were worsening and suggested that I see a neurologist. He also recommended a number of dental procedures. I followed through on the bite realignment, which stopped my grinding my teeth, but seemed to have no affect on my migraine.

Yes, we are simpatico. Love my implants, but they have zero impact on my migraines and clusters. But very happy with them.

Still there's a catnip quality to migraines for some reasons, every manner of doc thinks they have a cure. Can't imagine what podiatry and gynecology have to offer to the discourse ... 🤔
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: imallie on March 17, 2024, 11:30:50 AMStill there's a catnip quality to migraines for some reasons, every manner of doc thinks they have a cure. Can't imagine what podiatry and gynecology have to offer to the discourse ... 🤔

🤣

My allergist, cardiologist and pulmonologist haven't offered anything  . . .  yet
Fall 2018 The woman hiding behind my husband's facade is coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began MTF HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on transitioning medically.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, she's legally changing her name, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!

•  

imallie

Quote from: Moonflower on March 17, 2024, 12:41:49 PM🤣

My allergist, cardiologist and pulmonologist haven't offered anything  . . .  yet

Allergists live for that stuff!

In all seriousness, one thing I did want to mention... I know that pain management of migraines is very much YMMV. I've been using hydrocodone for a decade or so, in all sorts of doses, at a various times (30 minutes before, during, right after it breaks, etc) all with varying degrees of efficacy. And how much they help changes from day to day.

There was one non-narcotic solution that I found helpful for a while, and my neuro is a big fan of it. Our insurance switched a sub-provider at some point so it was no longer available as an option for me... plus we did get a bit uncomfortable with the big tank in the house - but that solution is high-level oxygen.

You breathe in 100% oxygen for five minutes, and it causes your blood vessels to dilate and reduces vasoconstriction. Like everything else, it didn't help all the time, and I tried it mostly around my clusters... but sometimes for migraines as well (since it was oxygen... you can't overdose on it!) and when it helped, it was as good as any powerful pain reliever.

Just wanted to throw that out there, depending on how you're doing with pain mangement, as it's at least something to discuss with your doc next time you confer about your treatment.

Love,
Allie

imallie

Oh and little news from lunch.

Because of the pics I had to take for the hair lady, I had this particulary good photo (in terms of lighting and position - not how I looked) straight on of my face that my wife took.

I couldn't help throwing it into the FaceApp thing. Mostly because I wanted to see it with hair. I first just clicked on long hair (not the gender tab) and that was pretty good, and then as an alternative I did try to less extreme first gender option... but while that did a bit better with the hair, that does alter the face in ways that are subtle but powerful.

Even so... because we'd been talking about it so much, for the first time ever, I showed those to my wife.

I very much hesitated, though. Not for long... just probably for a few hours before I did it.

Look, we are miles past the point where I have any doubt of her unconditional support for me. At its peak, to be honest, my doubt level was 1%, and even THAT was unfounded paranoia... so it wasn't that.

It's just that I'm still sensitive about making my journey the sole adventure of our lives. I know she will see all this in time, be part of all the choices... but... I don't, I just... part of me wanted to let her have her Sunday, I guess.

Ultimately I thought it made sense to share it. Can't figure out if it was a wholly selfish move. I hope not. She was like "Oh, ok... yeah I can see that now."  And that was that.

And then back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Love,
Allie
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteIt's just that I'm still sensitive about making my journey the sole adventure of our lives. I know she will see all this in time, be part of all the choices... but... I don't, I just... part of me wanted to let her have her Sunday, I guess.

I've said again and again what a good woman your wife is. Well, you too, Allie. However, she should get a glimpse of what's coming. Sharing is fair.

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 17, 2024, 02:27:09 PMI've said again and again what a good woman your wife is. Well, you too, Allie. However, she should get a glimpse of what's coming. Sharing is fair.

Yeah she's really something. And that was true going way back.

And you are spot on. I think ultimately that was where I landed. I didn't think it made sense that the first time she'd see the visual would be at the hair salon. That's a lot to take in all at once - for both of us. AND when we're making choices about things. Here she can now have a taste and just begin to process it a bit.
Because as much as I know she knew it was coming, seeing it still a different level.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteBecause as much as I know she knew it was coming, seeing it still a different level.

Yep.

Say, Allie, is transferring some hair from the back of your head to the front to better anchor the topper something you've considered?

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 18, 2024, 10:57:34 AMYep.

Say, Allie, is transferring some hair from the back of your head to the front to better anchor the topper something you've considered?

Well, sure, now that you mentioned it — by the very definition of the word I have considered it. 😉

But in truth, I think unless we were really sold on its efficacy and cost-effectiveness, it wouldn't be what I'd start with. That is largely borne out of the ignorance of having worn none of these things before. I certainly am open to having my mind changed from experience, of course.

My wife and I did discuss, and dismiss, full-on hair implants as an option early on. I think the coverage area is just too big and I'd rather get to a solution more quickly than that.

Love,
Allie

P.S. "Not really" would also work as a response to your question, if you prefer the non-word salad version.😘 Sorry about that! 🙄
  •  

Moonflower

Quote from: imallie on March 17, 2024, 01:36:54 PMI've been using hydrocodone

One Emergency Room doctor sent me home with some one time. It didn't work in the ER, so I didn't try it at home.

Quote100% oxygen for five minutes, and it causes your blood vessels to dilate and reduces vasoconstriction...

Just wanted to throw that out there, depending on how you're doing with pain mangement, as it's at least something to discuss with your doc next time you confer about your treatment.

Thank you ❤️

My doctors have considered oxygen and decided against it several times. A few times, I remembered to check my O2 level during a migraine, and it's always been good.

I've had 3 sleep studies in the past 6 months, each of which showed that my O2 level stayed good most of the time while I was sleeping, especially when I stay off of my back. I'm due for a fourth study after I figure out how to stay off of my back.

I had several pulmonary function tests during the past year at 3 different facilities, and all showed good O2 levels and lung capacities.

When Sumatriptan works for me, I think it's because it constricts my blood vessels. My blood pressure tends to run low, but I never felt well enough to measure it during a migraine; my anxiety and pain sensitivity skyrocket. I take Butcher's Broom for my low blood pressure because it constricts blood vessels, and found that it unexpectedly reduced my migraines. I've been on Midodrine for a year to raise my blood pressure and I haven't used a triptan in a year 🥳

Still, I was waking up to a migraine every morning . . . except the morning after my December sleep study. I woke up feeling SO WELL, I did yoga as celebration! We've been trying to recreate the circumstances. Certain foods? no. Stay up later? no. Closed up bedroom overnight or all day? no. Air filter running all day? no.

This past week I've been waking up feeling no pain. My wife has been waking me after just 6 hours of sleep, like they did at the December sleep study. Breaking up my sleep seems to be a key. Now I need to figure out when to take a daily nap so I feel well-rested. 😞😴

Thanks for all of your sharing and care.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: Moonflower on March 18, 2024, 12:45:18 PMOne Emergency Room doctor sent me home with some one time. It didn't work in the ER, so I didn't try it at home.

Thank you ❤️

My doctors have considered oxygen and decided against it several times. A few times, I remembered to check my O2 level during a migraine, and it's always been good.

I've had 3 sleep studies in the past 6 months, each of which showed that my O2 level stayed good most of the time while I was sleeping, especially when I stay off of my back. I'm due for a fourth study after I figure out how to stay off of my back.

I had several pulmonary function tests during the past year at 3 different facilities, and all showed good O2 levels and lung capacities.

When Sumatriptan works for me, I think it's because it constricts my blood vessels. My blood pressure tends to run low, but I never felt well enough to measure it during a migraine; my anxiety and pain sensitivity skyrocket. I take Butcher's Broom for my low blood pressure because it constricts blood vessels, and found that it unexpectedly reduced my migraines. I've been on Midodrine for a year to raise my blood pressure and I haven't used a triptan in a year 🥳

Still, I was waking up to a migraine every morning . . . except the morning after my December sleep study. I woke up feeling SO WELL, I did yoga as celebration! We've been trying to recreate the circumstances. Certain foods? no. Stay up later? no. Closed up bedroom overnight or all day? no. Air filter running all day? no.

This past week I've been waking up feeling no pain. My wife has been waking me after just 6 hours of sleep, like they did at the December sleep study. Breaking up my sleep seems to be a key. Now I need to figure out when to take a daily nap so I feel well-rested. 😞😴

Thanks for all of your sharing and care.

So happy the sumatripan works for you. The first time I took it I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and my throat closed up... so no triptans for me. Nothing like making my doc's job easier, right?

Oh and as for your O2 levels? The high level of o2 taken through a mask is like an o2 booster shot - but like anything it is hit or miss. So I understand why some docs probably don't favor it.

Waking up in migraine sounds awful. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. That's no way to start a day! Glad you might have sussed out a workaround!!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower

imallie

And old friend/assistant of mine reached out today. When we worked together we'd go out to lunch several times a week when neither of us was on the road, but after I left with my disability he moved on to another college in a nearby state.  So we remain in touch, but mostly via text.

We probably haven't seen each other in person since, pre-pandemic seems crazy... but that's possible. We used to try to get together 3-4 times a year, but the pandemic changed that for everyone and we never got back in the habit.

Anyway, he has some time off this week and he wanted to drive down for lunch tomorrow, which is great.

My wife was slightly concerned... only because, he is A LOT.

Hmmmm. He is really hard to describe without making him seem like a caricature... which he isn't. People who only know him a bit sometimes make fun of him, but people who work closely with him really appreciate what a unique person he is.

To list his quirks would... let's just say, he's quirky. But it there's an overall big-picture way to describe him it would probably be "child-like"?  He's smart, funny, personable... all those things. He's not naive, he just... uh...
For example, he loves all things Disney. He's going back next month again, for maybe the 50-60th time in his life. And the trip is him, his older sister and his mom. He is mid-40's.

He loves movies, and we talk about them often... but I know exactly which movies he will and will not like. If there's any sex in them, no bueno... even too much swearing toes a line...  and as far as we know he has never dated anyone, nor had any interest in doing so.

But he drinks at parties, is a lot of fun, all that.  And he can be LOUD. Many is the time at our lunches (BEFORE I suffered from migraines!) when I'd have to put my two hands out across the table, palms down, and make a gentle up and down motion so as to say "lower the volume".. He just never notices.  So now in my migraine world, he often lights my fuse pretty fast.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing him, of course.

If you're still reading (sorry!) the reason I write all this is I hadn't thought too much about what "bucket" I would put him when it comes to telling him my news. But I realize now that this is someone that certainly might really struggle with it. I would not in the slightest take it personally if he did, but I also feel like when I'm making a list of the versions of letters I need, he will need his own, individual letter.

That one is going to be a real head scratcher.

But for now, I'm awfully glad we get a lunch tomorrow. If it's the last one we get, it's nice that I'll be able to appreciate it.

Love,
Allie

P.S. I have a MILLION stories about this friend, but indulge me this, my favorite. I probably put more time and effort into his Christmas and birthday presents every year than I did for anyone else in my life back when we were exchanging (and I love buying gifts - so that's saying something), because he SO appreciated everything.

And movie fan that he is, with Die Hard being his favorite movie, I was particularly happy that one Christmas I got him a screen-accurate John McClane NYC Driver's License. He loved it! I mean, really loved it! More, apparently than I knew.
Fast forward to the summer after that. He came into the office late one morning, white as a ghost. He was on his way to work and he had inadvertently run a red light. Which really shook him up. He was NOT the rule breaking type. Worse yet, he did it with a cop who happened to be on a nearby side street witnessing it, and he got pulled over and got a ticket.
But the coup de grace? When the cop said "License and registration" -- he was flustered, having never had to do it before and reached into his wallet where, apparently, he had put my gift next to his actual license.  Guess which one he handed the cop? Without realizing it?
"The cop just looked at me, handed it back and said 'yippie-kay-ay-mother-f*cker'" he said, as an entire staff of people cried laughing uncontrollably for like 15 minutes.   
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Oldandcreaky

Funny story, Allie.

On the serious side, I predicted who would and wouldn't be an ally and seriously erred several times. For example, my brother and I were close and he's a liberal and a social worker and therapist. Yeah, he checked all the boxes, but I missed his pattern of anti-LGBT behaviors over decades and that's how he framed me, so I missed out on his support. He goes through the motions with LGBT people today, but his base antipathy is still there. My point is that I missed on a number of predictions because I missed on a number of clues.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: imallie

imallie

Quote from: Oldandcreaky on March 18, 2024, 08:48:26 PMFunny story, Allie.

On the serious side, I predicted who would and wouldn't be an ally and seriously erred several times. For example, my brother and I were close and he's a liberal and a social worker and therapist. Yeah, he checked all the boxes, but I missed his pattern of anti-LGBT behaviors over decades and that's how he framed me, so I missed out on his support. He goes through the motions with LGBT people today, but his base antipathy is still there. My point is that I missed on a number of predictions because I missed on a number of clues.

I'm very sorry to hear that, on a number of levels. First and foremost because you were once close and are no longer. I'm sure that wound has long healed at this point, but it still leaves a scar.

I'm enigmatic in that I am both optimist and pessimist in equal measure at times. I always want and hope to see the good in people, even when it's not there. And yet I'm also always suspicious of why anyone would treat me with kindness.

So with so many colors of the rainbow on my wife's side I would genuinely be surprised if anyone was non-supportive... on my side .... well, we'll see what happens, I guess. Going in with eyes open. Your story with your brother only reinforces the need to do that on my part.
  •  

imallie

Lunch with my friend was as expected - great, and lit my migraine fuse in an explosive fashion. But a price I was willing to pay (just, you know, not every day). He mentioned getting back in the habit of doing this with some frequency, which is fine with me... but we'll see what happens after he hears the news. As previously mentioned, I wouldn't hold it against him.

-----------

A little thing from this evening. A nice snapshot of how 100% normally things are with our son, post "The telling". ;)

He had a big work meeting today which pertained to a potential promotion and raise, and at around 6 pm he texted and told us he'd just finished it and he could call us if we wanted an update. First of all, an actual phone call from him (not a text) was not an everyday thing. Kids his age still are confused that the devices that never leave their hands are actually CALLED "phones". I don't think they understand what the word "phone" means.

Anyway, as he was updating us, he was talking about how some extra cash would be useful. He keeps a meticulous budget (from his mother, NOT me!). He saves about $1k per month... at age 25 that's impressive. Well he said with his rent going up, and car insurance going up, things are a little tougher... but that didn't quite ring true.

Then there was a pause, and he said: "I am going to tell you something but I don't want you to react in any way at all."

We agreed, and he continued "I've been dating this last month. And my normal $100 entertainment budget has been more like $500."

The boy shares everything with us, always has. EXCEPT this. We always figured that the first time we would meet his wife would be at the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. And then, only begrudgingly. He's just a tad secretive about this stuff.

So him revealing this, but telling us that we aren't allowed to even react to it?

Yeah... we are in same old, same old territory.

All is good with the world

(Plus, his mother and I are thrilled that he's dating... and whether he likes it or not, at least ONE question will be asked at Easter dinner. That's just hard cheese. He can suck it up and answer. LOL)

Love,
Allie

P.S. Part of the reason for sharing this story from tonight is that, of course, I am forbidden from sharing this news with anyone in my real life... but this allows me to get it out, and it feels pretty good. Although I 100% will discuss it with my electrologist tomorrow morning. He'll never know that.   ;D
  •  

davina61

a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Allie

Shame on you!

Hugs