Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

Started by TXSara, January 04, 2024, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldandcreaky

QuoteWhat did ANYONE have to gain by this meanness?

She got to feel superior, which matters to her, as evidenced by her "Well-educated" descriptor. I'm guessing she was a mean girl in school and wants high schools rules to forever be in play, where there are cool kids simply because there are kids who aren't cool. She needs an other and so she othered Sara, who actually is well-educated and has accomplished beyond the mean woman's ken.
  •  

TXSara

I think this woman needs to be called out.  I'm not going to do it, though.

I thought really hard about posting about this on the LWCC Facebook page.  I decided against it.  My ex-GF is a member of this Facebook group (it has ~5k members), and I know she would see the post if I made it.  I also know that she'd contact me once she saw the post. 

I can't have that.  I'm making good progress in getting over her, and I don't need the setback of her coming to my emotional rescue.  It would only stir up old feelings.

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

EllenW

Sara,

I am so sorry that you this happened to you. Please do not let this one person ruin your self-confidence. You are a caring and wonderful woman.

Lots of hugs

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

TXSara

Quote from: TXSara on January 09, 2024, 11:02:15 AMI really think that this is more of a situation where my personality type is just more prone to this type of behavior, and my transition has been the trigger that brought it all to the surface.

Digging a bit more into what I said earlier about the origins of my attachment problem, I found some pretty interesting stuff online.

Background:

I have recently found out that I am an enneagram type 9w1.  Type 9's are known as the "Peacemakers", and 9w1 is known as the "Dreamer".  I have always been a fan of looking inward at what really motivates me, and the enneagram does a better job of this IMO than the Meyers-Briggs typing (I'm INFP, by the way). 

At our core, Nines want everyone to get along and be at peace.  It sounds like a really positive way of living, and I have a large number of friends because of my easy-going nature.  There is a darker side, though.  In order to make other people happy, I tend to marginalize myself.  I can sometimes go to sleep to my own wants and needs in order to get along with other people.  It's quite the double-edged sword.

If you haven't ever looked into this stuff, you should.  You might learn a lot about yourself, realizing that the same traits that are extremely positive in some contexts are your downfall in others.  Fascinating stuff.  I'll probably talk more about this later, but I don't want to go too long with this post. 

The point of bringing this up now is to give context to an excerpt from a post I found earlier that I found to be really helpful and interesting.  This quote comes from Raena Hubbell's blog at:

https://www.raenahubbell.com/enneagram-attachment-styles

QuoteAnxious-Preoccupied Types: Two, Seven, and Nine

As previously mentioned, psychologists refer to the anxious-preoccupied mindset as characterized by a "negative" view of self and a "positive" regard for others. While this language doesn't quite capture the subtleties of how each type approaches attachment at average or unhealthy Levels of Development, it points to the dynamic between the individual's way of relating to self versus relating to others. This mindset gives rise to various anxiety-driven behaviors that attempt to re-establish or reinforce the sense of connection with the other.

Type Two: I want you to love me as much as I love you

At average or unhealthy Levels of Development, Twos fear that they're unworthy of love and that the other person doesn't return their level of affection. Their sense of self-worth becomes inextricably tied to how helpful, giving, and supportive they are to the other person, and they start doing things for the other person to "earn" their love. They focus their energy on demonstrating affection with the hope that it is returned in the form of appreciation. This dynamic gives rise to a great deal of anxiety – that their partner doesn't love them back, that they're not doing the right things for their partner, or that they'll be rejected (translation: that they won't be loved).

Type Seven: I want the relationship to be awesome

Sevens in an insecurely attached relationship feel enthusiastic about the attachment and their partner but fear that the relationship won't stay "awesome." As they think about the future, they develop anxiety that one (or both) of the partners will get bored or the happiness won't last and devote their energy to occupying the relationship with activities to keep it exciting (e.g. planning lots of fun dates, trips, outings, etc.) Ironically, their partner may find this exhausting and it can become a source of conflict if the other person doesn't have the same level of energy.

Type Nine: I just want you to be happy

Nines are prone to an insecure attachment style due to their focus on maintaining peace and harmony in their relationships. They'll naturally have a positive regard for their partner (as they do for almost everyone), but fear that there will be conflict or that the other person will be upset. To prevent this from happening, they employ Ego-driven strategies such as accommodating the other person, merging with their partner, and failing to assert boundaries. They spend their energy trying to keep the other person happy and sacrifice or deny their own needs to stay connected.

It is certainly of note that anxious-preoccupied is the only attachment styles triad that overlaps with another known triad: the positive outlook types. This actually makes sense, as the anxious-preoccupied types have a "positive" view of others and their relationships, and positive outlook types approach problems, conflicts, and others with a positive mindset. This mindset is characterized by phrases such as "Things will work out," "In the long run it will be okay," and "Let's look at the bright side." This way of thinking will cause the person – consciously or subconsciously – to avoid acknowledging the downsides or problems with their partner or relationship. Rather, the energy will go into maintaining a happy relationship through Ego-specific strategies (as discussed above).

I totally agree that I'm prone to this behavior.  I remember having a little of this back in High School with both my 9th and 11th grade girlfriends.  As soon as I felt them even slightly backing away, I became really anxious and probably hastened the breakups.  A few years ago, I would have chalked it up as a young kid learning how to relate with others.  Now, I think it may be been a harbinger of things to come.

~Sara

•  

Courtney G

I can relate to a lot of this, Sara. I bought the book that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Thank you for that.

Just know that this very non-confrontational person would have called out that person's behavior with a full voice.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: TXSara

Iztaccihuatl

I am really sorry to read about your experience at that luncheon meeting. It is heartbreaking. I would have never expected such behavior at a liberal leaning group and it is also surprising that nobody else called her out. I am not sure how liberal this group really is.

I agree that it isn't a good idea to take that issue to their FB group, but if that group has some form of formal leadership, it might make sense to reach out and let them know about your experience and that the group isn't living up to their liberal credentials.

Hugs,

Heidemarie
  •  

Gina P

Terrible you had to endure this rude woman.
After meeting you in Philly and New Hope my observations of you:
Nicely toned body
Beautiful face and hair
Height and body well proportioned for a woman
Great boobs
Beautiful legs
Moved with grace and form
Smart and witty, very caring
Voice, very feminine
I must say I was blown away and in total aww. You are what most cis women dream of being. And a trans girls fantasy. Absolutely no part of you says man. This bully must have heard it through the grape vine because she never clocked you. Before reading the comments I thought this sounded like some grade school bullying. This woman must have such a low self esteem of herself that the only way she feels good is by putting others down. So sad there are people like her in this world. Even more sad that others in the group didn't respond, which shows nobody was listening to her. I bet they have had to endure her narcist comments before and just ignore her now.
Only 6 weeks to go before the big day if I remember right. That will be here before you know it, Sarah, I bet you are getting excited. Hang in there.
Big HUGS
Gina
  •  

REM.1126

I am sorry that happened.  I don't know of anything else I can say that won't just repeat what others have said.  Even though I am hundreds of miles away, that punch to your gut was felt in mine reading about it.  I'd love to give you a hug.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: TXSara on January 09, 2024, 01:57:51 PMSpeaking of chipping away at my self-confidence...

I attended a luncheon called "Blue Tuesday" today that was set up by a local liberal women's group.  There was a speaker there that talked about the different things that are currently going on in the state w.r.t. child protective service along with some other issues.  There were about 25 of us there, and it was my first time being there with the group.

The lunch was really nice until people started raising their hands and commenting.  One particular lady started her comment out by saying, "Well, we're all well-educated women here... well, all except for the one man who has joined us.." pointing in my direction.  I don't even know what she said after that.  It was all a blur.  Did I hear her correctly?  No joke, I turned around to see if there was a man who had come into the room and sat behind me.  Nope.

Folks, this one cut deep.  I think this is the first time I have EVER been outed by a stranger to a larger group of people.  I would have NEVER expected it from a member of the LWCC (Liberal Women of Collin County) group.  I sat there, just trying to hold it in for the rest of the luncheon.  Luckily we were done eating at that point, and I only needed to make it about 10 minutes.  When I got to my car, I broke down.

What was the point of doing that?  It didn't add anything to her comment at all.  It was just a mean-spirited thing for her to say, essentially letting me know that I wasn't a "real" woman and I didn't belong there.

I won't be going back.

~Sara

All I want to do right now is give you a hug, Sara.  ❤️

I already thought you were one of the strongest women I know. I wish so much it didn't have to be this way, but surviving this nightmare scenario is only going to make you stronger in the long run. These vindictive people don't get the privilege of impacting your world with their small-minded prejudices.
  •  

davina61

I must have been a comic in a previous life cos I would have replied is that thick layer of make up hiding your stubble?
 Only time I got cross with someone was a food vendor reputably saying SIR to me loudly. Just ignore them as they are not worth bothering with and the universe will get them back.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

TXSara

Well crud.  This isn't going to work very well...

I bought the "Anxiously Attached" book on Audible because it allows me to multitask.  I can be driving to work or I can be going for a walk, etc.  I have found, though, that I start blubbering at times when I'm listening to it.  No Bueno.  It's not a good idea to cry at work, so I'm going to have to limit this to times when I'm able to be alone.  Oh well.

In other news, I spoke to a second potential new therapist yesterday and set up an appointment for next Tuesday.  She and I spoke on the phone for about 10 minutes about my attachment issues, and I'm looking forward to meeting her.

I have my  appointment with the first therapist tomorrow morning.  I'll give each of these two a try, then either narrow to one or keep looking.  Wish me luck!

~Sara

•  

D'Amalie

One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Sara, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new therapist, but don't get too attached to them.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

TXSara

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 11, 2024, 08:27:47 AMSara, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new therapist, but don't get too attached to them.

Love always -- Jess

HaHa!  Very cute, Jessica!

•  

imallie

Quote from: TXSara on January 11, 2024, 08:13:42 AMWell crud.  This isn't going to work very well...

I bought the "Anxiously Attached" book on Audible because it allows me to multitask.  I can be driving to work or I can be going for a walk, etc.  I have found, though, that I start blubbering at times when I'm listening to it.  No Bueno.  It's not a good idea to cry at work, so I'm going to have to limit this to times when I'm able to be alone.  Oh well.

In other news, I spoke to a second potential new therapist yesterday and set up an appointment for next Tuesday.  She and I spoke on the phone for about 10 minutes about my attachment issues, and I'm looking forward to meeting her.

I have my  appointment with the first therapist tomorrow morning.  I'll give each of these two a try, then either narrow to one or keep looking.  Wish me luck!

~Sara

You know, cage matches are still, objectively speaking, the most effective way to decide between two qualified therapists. I believe I read about that in a magazine. The most annoying part is acquiring the cage. I'd highly suggest RENTING.  You don't want to buy one until you really determine whether or not you're really a "cage" woman or not.

Just my $0.02
  •  

TXSara

You know, Allie, I have never been much of a fan of the cage match. 

When the wrestling ring is replaced with a cage, it can take too many of the best moves away!  I want to see one of my therapists jumping off the top turnbuckle!

~Sara

•  

imallie

Quote from: TXSara on January 11, 2024, 09:40:08 AMYou know, Allie, I have never been much of a fan of the cage match. 

When the wrestling ring is replaced with a cage, it can take too many of the best moves away!  I want to see one of my therapists jumping off the top turnbuckle!

~Sara

If you want to go against a twice blind academic study, that's on you.

I will begrudgingly admit, however, that turnbuckle is just an objectively funny word. So I'm probably ready to throw out the science and side with you.

•  

Courtney G

Ooh, good to know about the "Anxiously" book, Sara. I downloaded it to Audible, as well, but haven't gotten to it. I'll proceed cautiously. I cry a lot these days and my need/search for love and acceptance is a major hot button issue, so I suspect it will evoke a similar response from me.

Good luck with with the Battle For Sara's Next Therapist. May the best shrink win.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

TXSara

I had the first of two "meet and greet" therapy sessions today.  I may have to see each of these therapists more than once to get a good idea of how well we work together, though.  The truth is that most of the first session is about me opening up and telling the therapist what is going on and (from my standpoint) why.  It takes a while to "level set" a new person to the situation, what I already know to be my triggers, etc.

I could tell that she was fighting back tears as I told her everything I have been through, from events that shaped me during my childhood to the recent setback with my latest relationship.  Of course, my waterworks were also going full blast.  That's pretty normal for me, though.

She did mention that she uses EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) as a technique for managing anxiety, but I'm not exactly sure about whether it would apply to me.  I have heard of this being the "big thing" for PTSD issues, but I don't think my problems are tied to any one trauma incident.  There are definitely a handful of important events that have shaped me, but I don't know if this technique is the best for me.  I'll probably try to do some research on it.

Has anyone else had EMDR therapy proposed?  Did it do anything for you?

~Sara

•  

Allison R

My therapist has suggested it to me, but I am completely telehealth with her and she says it is something best done F2F. I would like to try but haven't been able to get the timing right. So I am interested in any responses you get to this as well, and also your experiences if you try it. And being from the Sportatorium area myself, nothing beats watching a 400 pound gorilla landing belly first on someone from the turnbuckle! I actually got to see some Von Erich matches as a youngster. Haven't watched the movie yet though, and don't know if I will, the family was tortured with tragedy.
  •