Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The head nod

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 05, 2024, 02:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

In addition to all of the things we must learn when we transition, there are some things we must unlearn. It's common for men to greet each other with a head nod, while women often smile at each other as they pass -- women don't use the 'head nod' as a greeting.

You may also notice that the 'head nod' has two major variations. I've noticed one group of males which always nods 'down', and another group which nods 'up'. If you nod using both techniques, I would classify you as bilingual, or should that be 'binodual'?

Women do seem to talk more, while males tend to be more non-verbal. Men also rarely speak in a public restroom, while women will often start a conversation when they enter, continue the conversation as they do their business, and only say 'goodbye' after leaving the restroom.

There is a lot to learn!

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Devlyn

Up for friends (What's up?), down for strangers (We don't have to kill each other...today.)  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Mariah

Quote from: Devlyn on January 05, 2024, 02:22:11 PMUp for friends (What's up?), down for strangers (We don't have to kill each other...today.)  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
I so never knew that. Interesting, but makes a lot of sense. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Courtney G

I still give the head nod while presenting male but I feel like an impostor. I feel that nodding to other males is a cover-up for who I really am. It's an act, just to blend it. I don't really mind it but I won't regret it when I no longer do it.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

Maid Marion

Who do you greet when a family approaches in the Walmart parking lot?  Mom carrying a baby or one of the two daughters?  Obviously the Mom who is proud of her new baby!  Make eye contact and smile!
  •  

Gina P

The head nod is a hard thing to unlearn. I still catch myself doing it upon occasions. The smile and stare women use was a bit uncomfortable at first, as I thought they were clocking me and I always looked away. It's taking time but I am getting better, howbeit slowly.
Gina
  •  

D'Amalie

So, so interesting!  I've not considered this non-verbal before.  Now that I've given it some thought.  I'm aware that I really never do and never did the head nod.  I've been nodded at for years but my response is always eye contact and a smile.  No wonder.
 :laugh:
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •