Hi EveryoneIn my travels and musings. I have heard the following story crop up again and again. The following is somewhat paraphrased to give you an idea of what I'm going to talk about. This is also related to a posting made in
"The right to be an ordinary transgender man".
A question that comes up in the community is why some people get so angry when someone chooses to go stealth. If a trans person has reached a point where they pass well and no longer wants to openly disclose that they are trans why should that be seen as a problem?
Some people who decide to go stealth simply ask those who already know to keep that information private and not out them to other people. Yet sometimes that choice is met with accusations of being transphobic or of somehow siding against the trans community.
So without further ado here are my thoughts:
___________________________________For many people the decision to live stealth is not about shame. It can be about safety especially with the current political climate and how unpredictable people can be. It can also be about not wanting the trans label to become the main thing people see or associate with them.
Being trans can be part of who someone is without defining their entire identity. There is much more to a person than that one part of their life. So why does choosing to keep it private make some people so angry?
I really don't know why some people get mad or pissed off when someone decides they want to go "stealth". There are probably many reasons and I doubt the same explanation applies to everyone. It could be jealousy or resentment. Maybe some people feel that those of us with similar experiences should stick together. Others might be very open about their own past and find it hard to understand why somebody else would rather keep theirs private.
Some may see being trans as such an important part of their own identity that they assume it must be the same for everyone else. From that point of view somebody choosing to live stealth might look to them as though they are still hiding or closeted in some way. Others may have picked up the idea that not telling people you are trans is somehow deceptive even when that information has nothing to do with the relationship involved.
There is also the practical reality that not everyone has the option of living stealth even if they would like to. Some people are readily recognised as trans because of their appearance, voice or other characteristics and no amount of privacy can change the fact that strangers may immediately make that assumption. For them being visibly trans may not be a choice in the same way it is for somebody who can move through life without being questioned.
I can imagine that difference might sometimes create frustration or resentment. One person may be able to decide whether anyone ever knows about their past while another person may never be given that choice at all. That does not excuse hostility or attempts to out somebody but it may help explain why the subject of stealth can carry such strong emotions for some people.
Some may also have had bad experiences with stealth people who looked down on those who were open or who distanced themselves from other trans people out of fear of being discovered. That can colour how they interpret somebody else's decision even when that person has done nothing of the sort. Others may simply never have knowingly met someone who is comfortably stealth and don't really know how to understand it. Their ideas about stealth may come more from what they have heard people say about it than from knowing someone who actually lives that way.
And yes, some people may simply have difficulty respecting another person's privacy. Whatever the reason, somebody choosing to keep their past private does not automatically mean "I don't want to be like you people" even though that may be how somebody else interprets it.
Sometimes there can also be a kind of group mentality involved. It can be a little like a group of people who have all travelled the same difficult road becoming uncomfortable when one person chooses a different path. Instead of accepting that another route works better for that person they may see the decision to leave the common path as a rejection of everyone who stayed on it. That does not mean the person taking the different path thinks they are better than anyone else. They may simply be doing what works for their own life.
Having said that here is a little context from me because I've lived this way for a very long time.
I changed my life around in 1989 and I've lived my life as Sarah ever since. I've always been a quiet and private person. Before 1989 nobody knew about my thoughts and feelings except my uncle and aunt. When I changed my life around I left my family and friends without telling them what I was going to do.
Even today I don't tell people about my past and I even think twice about telling a doctor. It isn't because I'm ashamed of anything. I simply consider my past to be private and I decide who actually needs to know about it.
My family eventually found out through my uncle and luckily for me they accepted me for who I am. What that experience showed me was how easily private information can travel even when nobody involved intends any harm.
In my case my uncle knew then my mum knew then his children knew and eventually other members of the family found out through Chinese whispers. Some family members then told their partners outside the family. Luckily everyone involved has been quiet and supportive but that isn't really the point.
Someone might honestly mean it when they say "I won't tell anyone" but then mention it to their partner or somebody they trust. That person might mention it to somebody else. Before long people you never intended to tell can know something about you that you cannot make them forget.
This is also why I think anyone who knows something this personal about you has a responsibility to respect your privacy. People who want to out you or force you out are not your friends. Period. A friend does not take such a personal decision out of your hands.
There is another side to this that should not be overlooked: you have a responsibility to look after your own safety. If keeping the trans label private is part of how you protect yourself then that is how it is. Nobody else has to live with the possible consequences of disclosure in quite the same way you do.
That brings me back to the question about whether you should go "stealth". Ultimately that decision belongs to you and you alone. I don't tell people about my past because doing so has never been necessary for me to live my life. Keeping it private has caused me no problems either directly or indirectly. For me, I live in a binary world and I simply live my life as Sarah.
There is also an important distinction for me personally. Yes, I changed my life around. Yes, I have always been private. My security matters and I was fortunate enough to pass from the beginning. But I don't really think of myself in terms such as "stealth" or "trans this" and "trans that". I am simply me and I am female.
I'm not acting female, pretending to be a female or putting on some kind of performance for other people. I'm just living my life as myself. That is really the point. If I am female then why would I go around deliberately identifying myself as something other than female?
Doing that would feel almost like walking around with the word "trans" branded across my forehead. Women and girls don't normally go through life announcing or explaining their womanhood to everyone they meet. They simply live their lives and that is exactly what I do.
My past is part of how I got here but it isn't how I define myself in everyday life. I don't wake up in the morning thinking of myself as a trans woman who is acting female or trying to pass as one. I wake up and get on with my life as a woman because that is what I am.
So when people call that "stealth" I understand what they mean but from my point of view I'm not hiding behind an act or pretending to be something I'm not. I'm simply living as who I am.
Did I mention I'm a flaming female? No wonder I'm "stealth". Go figure.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being stealth. I am stealth and many other people are too. Most of us are simply getting on with our lives. At the same time I have a great deal of respect for people who choose to be open and proud. Their visibility can be important and valuable. I don't see these as opposing choices. Both ways of living are valid and people should be free to decide which one is right for them.
For me keeping something private isn't the same as being ashamed of it. I don't tell people about my past because it's personal and unless there's a good reason for someone to know I don't see why I should tell them. That doesn't mean I'm rejecting anyone or ashamed of who I am. I simply prefer to keep that part of my life private.
I also don't agree with the "you're either with us or against us" attitude. I just don't see it that way. You can still support people without telling everyone about your own past or making it part of who you are publicly. You can be open about it, keep it private or be somewhere in between. That's your choice.
I never was involved with the community when I changed my life around. I didn't need their help or advice at the time and I still do not today. Yet I sit quietly behind the scenes (online) and help people in my own way when I can. You can have something in common with a community and even contribute to it without needing to publicly identify yourself as part of it.
There is also one very practical reason I've always been careful about telling people. For me telling someone about my past is basically a one-way door.
If I don't tell someone today I still have the choice to tell them next week, next year or ten years from now. Not likely. I generally let sleeping dogs lie. Once I've told them though that choice is gone forever. I cannot take the information back and I cannot decide later that I would rather they didn't know. That is why I've always believed that the fewer people I tell the fewer opportunities there are for consequences or ramifications that I never asked for. Especially given the climate in some countries today.
Again whether you decide to go "stealth" or be completely open about your past is ultimately your decision. Other people are entitled to make a different decision for themselves but they aren't entitled to make decisions for you. I've lived this way since 1989 and I've had no problems with it. It works for me and somebody else may choose completely differently. If that works for them that's fine too.
Don't let peer pressure from either direction make such a personal decision for you. It's your life and your past so ultimately you decide who gets to know.
So "no telling means no outing". I think I heard that somewhere before.
___________________________________I realize the irony I have just written something very similar not long ago but, you will have to excuse me if I keep on harping on similar themes.
Best Wishes AlwaysSarah BGlobal Moderator