Bartender blocks trans woman from using restroom to tape up "Ladies Only" signhttps://www.lgbtqnation.com/2026/10/bartender-blocks-trans-woman-from-using-restroom-to-tape-up-ladies-only-sign/ 🔗Faefyx Collington (2 Oct 2026)
Canadian punk band Rougaroux was set to play a show at the Sportsman Club in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. But as they were setting up for the show, the bartender blocked the lead singer, who is trans, from accessing the restroom, stating that it was "ladies only." The band packed up and continued their tour, but the bar is doubling down on their anti-trans policy.
"The bartender came out from behind the bar to tape up a handwritten sign right in front of me that said, 'Ladies Only,'" Marina Hanley, the lead singer of Rougaroux, said in a video. "And I was just kind of like, 'okay.' And she looked directly at me and was like, 'We're very strict about this. This isn't an all-gender situation. This washroom is for ladies only.' And yeah, I wasn't feeling great about that."
When Hanly's bandmate and fiancé, George Finley, heard what had happened, he tore down the sign and questioned the bartender about her actions. "The words I used were, 'Why, when my female fiancée is going to use the washroom, did you feel the need to walk in front of her and put this sign up?'" Finley told CBC. "[The bartender] responded with, like, 'Well, if she's female, there should be no problem.'"
According to Hanly, the bartender only doubled down, saying, "Well, this is the opinion of the management of the bar, and frankly, it's my opinion too. We just don't want men in our women's washroom."
For Finley, who says that their audience is mostly trans and queer folks, that was the end of it. "So I walked over there, and I told everyone to get the gear and get out, that we were leaving."------------------------
@Sarah B