Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Suicide Information

Started by Buffy, February 16, 2008, 11:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffy

There is a serious side to the chat room that many people who visit there rarely see. Yes its fun light hearted at times, but a few times a month we have someone that comes in very depressed and at times suicidal.

I guess many of us have been there, so desperate, so much in pain that we think about ending our lives. The fact that these people come into talk is a bonus as that means we can do our best to help them by listening and showing empathy.

I have been trained in Suicide Counselloring, but many of the volunteers in chat do whatever they can to help the situation.

My intention is to write a guide for the chat staff, giving them key points to help them deal with this situation when it arises and I need your help.

I wish to collate a list of Suicide Help lines (for as many countries  & states as possible) so as we always have this resource available to us, to refer people to them. We allready have access to a list of Gender therapists.

In the UK for instance the Samaritans offer both a phone service and also e-mail service, 24 hours a day.

Please help: If you can provide any numbers , information for your area that is a wonderful help.

Post them here, or in a PM.

Thanks

Buffy
  •  

Robyn

When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

dawn

I know this thread is more intended for info for help centres etc. but i feel this should be up somewhere as most people will end up talking to somebody who is depressed or suicidal at some stage.
Okay this is just a random helping a suicidal person text, i am looking for more stuffs, but i figure its a starting point which can be added to modified comment on etc. and i am posting the whole text and not the link as who knows how long that site may last. It is aimed at somebody you are talking to on the phone, so obviously needs some tweaking.

Quote1 Be yourself. "The right words" are unimportant. If you are concerned, your voice and manner will show it.

2 Listen. Let the person unload despair, ventilate anger. If given an opportunity to do this, he or she will feel better by the end of the call. No matter how negative the call seems, the fact that it exists is a positive sign, a cry for help.

3 Be sympathetic, non-judgmental, patient, calm, accepting. The caller has done the right thing by getting in touch with another person.

4 If the caller is saying "I'm so depressed, I can't go on," ask The Question: "Are you having thoughts of suicide?" You are not putting ideas in his head, you are doing a good thing for him. You are showing him that you are concerned, that you take him seriously, that it is OK for him to share his pain with you.

5 If the answer is yes, you can begin asking a series of further questions: Have you thought about how you would do it (PLAN); Have you got what you need (MEANS); Have you thought about when you would do it (TIME SET). 95% of all suicidal callers will answer no at some point in this series or indicate that the time is set for some date in the future. This will be a relief for both of you.

6 Simply talking about their problems for a length of time will give suicidal people relief from loneliness and pent up feelings, awareness that another person cares, and a feeling of being understood. They also get tired -- their body chemistry changes. These things take the edge off their agitated state and help them get through a bad night.

7 Avoid arguments, problem solving, advice giving, quick referrals, belittling and making the caller feel that has to justify his suicidal feelings. It is not how bad the problem is, but how badly it's hurting the person who has it.

8 If the person is ingesting drugs, get the details (what, how much, alcohol, other medications, last meal, general health) and call Poison Control at _______________. A shift partner can call while you continue to talk to the person, or you can get the caller's permission and do it yourself on another phone while the caller listens to your side of the conversation. If Poison Control recommends immediate medical assistance, ask if the caller has a nearby relative, friend, or neighbor who can assist with transportation or the ambulance. In a few cases the person will initially refuse needed medical assistance. Remember that the call is still a cry for help and stay with him in a sympathetic and non-judgmental way. Ask for his address and phone number in case he changes his mind. (Call the number to make sure it's busy.) If your organization does not trace calls, be sure to tell him that.

9 Do not go it alone. Get help during the call and debrief afterwards.

10 Your caller may be concerned about someone else who is suicidal. Just listen, reassure him that he is doing the right thing by taking the situation seriously, and sympathize with his stressful situation. With some support, many third parties will work out reasonable courses of action on their own. In the rare case where the third party is really a first party, just listening will enable you to move toward his problems. You can ask, "Have you ever been in a situation where you had thoughts of suicide?"

Personally I am not sure i agree with No.5  BUT having said that at various times atleast 3 different doctors have ask me them, so perhaps is standard practice. yet i am still unconvinced at what it really acomplishes.

Link with some of the same stuff, aimed at teens, yet most of it will apply to anyone http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/svc/alpha/p/psychiatry/teens/tips.htm
  •  

Sarah

Here's the stuff for Colorado:

USA National Suicide Hotlines
Toll-Free / 24 hours / 7 days a week

1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-2433

1-800-273-TALK
1-800-273-8255
TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)

Colorado

Use Browser Search (Control+F) to Find Your
Area Code, Prefix, City, County, or Local Area

Listed by City, County, or Service Area

ARVADA

Serving Clear Creek, Gilpin, Jefferson, & Counties for 45 Years

Crisis Line

Jefferson Center for Mental Health
24 hours / 7 days
(303) 425-0300
1-800-201-5264
(303) 432-5049 TDD
6/10/04

BOULDER

24-Hour Emergency Services

Mental Health Center of Boulder County
24 hours / 7 days
(303) 447-1665
6/10/04

COLORADO SPRINGS

Serving Colorado Springs & Surrounding Communities for over 125 years

Crisis Center

Pikes Peak Mental Health
24 hours / 7 days
(719) 635-7000
6/10/04

COLORADO SPRINGS

Serving the Pikes Peak Region

Hotline

Suicide Prevention Partnership
Pikes Peak Region
24 hours / 7 days
(719) 596-5433 (LIFE)
11/2/04

DENVER

Serving Metro Denver Area

Lis'n Crisis Hotline

Professional Psychology Center
24 hours / 7 days
Suicide / Depression Hotline
(303) 860-1200
Youth Support Line
(303) 894-9000
6/11/04

ENGLEWOOD

Serving Arapahoe & Douglas Counties, Excluding Aurora

Emergency Services

Arapahoe / Douglas Mental Health Network
24 hours / 7 days
(303) 795-6187
6/11/04

GREELEY

Serving Weld County

Emergency Services

North Range Behavioral Health
24 hours / 7 days
(970) 353-3686
6/11/04

FORT COLLINS

Serving Larimer County

Connections

Larimer Center for Mental Health
24 hours / 7 days
Weekdays - 8-5pm
(970) 221-2114
After Hours & Weekends
(970) 221-5551
6/11/04

PUEBLO

Pueblo Suicide Prevention Center

Help Line - 24 Hours
(719) 544-1133
Teen Hotline
(719) 564-5566
Mon-Fri - 5-10pm

-Hope that helps!
Sara

Posted on: February 17, 2008, 12:40:25 AM
Also, I got that information from this website:
http://suicidehotlines.com/

They seem to have everything well organized for the united states by state.
I hope that can be a helpful resource.

Sara
  •  

Kate Thomas

https://www.susans.org/Support_Groups/Suicide_Suport_Groups/

https://www.susans.org/Support_Groups/Depression_Support_Groups/

http://www.suicideforum.com/ A prevention forum with a chat room

Posted on: February 17, 2008, 09:33:02 AM

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. With over 120 crisis centers across the country, our mission is to provide immediate assistance to anyone seeking mental health services. Call for yourself, or someone you care about. Your call is free and confidential.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •