Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Free SRS?

Started by Annie Social, April 02, 2006, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were offered SRS free of charge, would you accept?

In a heartbeat.
58 (58.6%)
Yes, but can I get free FFS instead?
20 (20.2%)
Maybe later, but I'm not ready right now.
6 (6.1%)
I'm really not sure.
5 (5.1%)
No way.
10 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

jaded

•  

Melissa

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could choose the surgeon and there were no strings attached.  Time and money is the only things keeping me from it.  By time, I mean I want to live longer as I currently am while I save up money, but if I was offered SRS free I would do it immediately.  I am certain I will never go back to living as male.

Melissa
  •  

Sophie

I voted for: Maybe later, but I'm not ready right now.

If I want to get SRS at all, then I'd like it in about 5 years time.
  •  

Nero

No way. Never. Not in a million years. Over my dead body.

Nero
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Melissa

Nero, your identity is what is at stake for you.  I see SRS as a means to a goal, but not a goal in itself.  If we can become happier with our identities, then we get to a point where surgeries are no longer needed (or in some cases, no additional surgeries are available).  It seems that breast removal and having a male identity is all you need Nero.  It does not make you less transsexual (which is primarily about identity) than anyone else.

Melissa
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Melissa on July 28, 2006, 10:15:53 AM
Nero, your identity is what is at stake for you.  I see SRS as a means to a goal, but not a goal in itself.  If we can become happier with our identities, then we get to a point where surgeries are no longer needed (or in some cases, no additional surgeries are available).  It seems that breast removal and having a male identity is all you need Nero.  It does not make you less transsexual (which is primarily about identity) than anyone else.

Melissa
Thanks for understanding me, Melissa. ;)

Nero
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Transguykid

I put in a heartbeat, but that's if it's no strings attached and a good surgeon and all. I could apply it to top surgery, clitoral release, or metoidioplasty. Though...I'm still recovering from breast reduction, don't I don't think I'm ready for another looong, boooring and stressfull recovery period quite yet.
  •  

Maryrace

•  

Refugee

Quote from: Annie Social on April 03, 2006, 05:14:35 PM
What I was writing about that prompted me to ask the question was the idea that among those who identify as pre-op, there seem to be two groups: those for whom surgery is the most important part of their transition, and those who feel that it's more of a final step to be taken after everything else is in place.

It even relates to some extent to how people feel about the RLT, whether it's a reasonable safeguard or a needless obstacle.

For the reason that I voted not now, maybe later, I'm still trying to figure out myself as Madison.  If I were post-op tomorrow I would be thrust into something I wasn't ready for.  As it relates to RLE/RLT, I think the reasons are the same.  You can't not grow and develop during that time, and there are some people that choose to detransition for one reason or another.  Once you're beyond GRS, its not impossible, but much, much harder.  As long as that's still a possibility, I do support the time requirements.  While I think the majority of people would do just fine with GRS on demand as long as there is a possibility of anyother outcome, I don't see anyother way.

As an aside, its long been my understanding that the cancellation rate of GRS surgerys is rather high due to financial issues, etc, calling a surgeon and saying "I have cash and can pay today" will go some length to shortening the waiting period.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I had GRS some time ago...  But I'd go for a few free touch ups!  No question.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jenny

I went for "Yes, but can I get free FFS instead?" for two reasons...

Firstly, FFS is something I would want before SRS if at all possible

Secondly, in very practical terms, living in England funding for SRS is available via our health service, whereas it is not for FFS.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

I voted "Yes, but can I get free FFS instead?"

Already post op myself, this was an interesting poll to read however with a flashy topic title. Nothing in life is really free, but in this case the trade off was priceless.
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: CynthiaAnn on April 20, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
I voted "Yes, but can I get free FFS instead?"

In Ontario, where I live, GCS is covered by our health care plan, but cosmetic surgery, such as FFS is not.  Also, since I'm over 65, my HRT is also covered, with me paying only the $4.11 dispensing fee.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Ryuichi13

When I have mine done, it will basically be free...unless you count the 40+ years I paid to the US government in order to be able to get Medicare.  If that's the case, then I have already paid for it.

Ryuichi

•